Can Commercial Truck Drivers Carry?

This is a discussion on Can Commercial Truck Drivers Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Gary Slider There is no federal law. When driving a commercial truck the driver must follow the laws of the state they ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Can Commercial Truck Drivers Carry?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    There is no federal law. When driving a commercial truck the driver must follow the laws of the state they are in. If you have a permit/license that is valid in that state then you can legally carry your firearm on you. Now your company might have rules against it but you are not breaking a law but their rule and they can fire you for that. This letter is on Handgunlaw.us.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/C...dFirerarms.pdf

You can read it and print it and show it to your instructor and then look him straight in the eye and just state. What Federal Law or Regulation states it is illegal for me to carry a personnel firearm in my vehicle. There is no such federal law or regulation. HE can say what he wants but tell him to just show me the law.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
    Mark Twain
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Thanks again, Gary. Honestly, the atlas maps for New York, Maryland, New Jersey, and Massachusetts (and a couple others) are ones I quit looking at when I started carrying a firearm. I know New York and NJ are particularly repressive, but they are even worse than I thought. I have to travel through Illinois from time to time, always stopping before and after the state line to remain legal. CPZ signs at shippers and receivers are another matter entirely, beyond the scope of my original questions here.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    Thing is in Illinois you can secure your firearm and if you stop for the night you can take it into your motel room and you are not breaking an IL law. Now in Chicago you may not be legal as they have all kinds of laws that are very difficult to follow since they are like NY City and like their own state within a state. But in NY, NJ you are and after looking at MA laws for years I don't think you can in MA either but their laws are so screwed up and spread out in their laws I am not sure. But it looks to me like MA is the same as NY and NJ.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YANG View Post
    I came across that same posting a couple years ago. For the record, I pulled into a portable scale set-up (in my 4-wheeler) right after I received my CHL and asked the DOT officer directly. He assured me there is no federal reg prohibiting CCW in a commercial vehicle, but cautioned me to be extremely careful when traveling into and through other states.

The one law a driver would have to really be on guard for is the Gun Free School Zone law, providing he is ccw'ing. The reciprocity laws of out of state ccw's do not apply within 1000 ft. of a school. Violation of this law is a felony punishable by 5yrs. If you are in an out of state school zone your weapon has to be unloaded, separate from the ammo and in a locked box. With as many school zones as I go through in any one day while I'm running my routes in Tn. Its pretty much useless to even bring a gun.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcon67 View Post
    The one law a driver would have to really be on guard for is the Gun Free School Zone law, providing he is ccw'ing. The reciprocity laws of out of state ccw's do not apply within 1000 ft. of a school. Violation of this law is a felony punishable by 5yrs. If you are in an out of state school zone your weapon has to be unloaded, separate from the ammo and in a locked box. With as many school zones as I go through in any one day while I'm running my routes in Tn. Its pretty much useless to even bring a gun.
    Sure, we have to obey all laws as they are written, or face the consequences. Those rules apply to everyone. My tractor has an ammo box and a pistol box, both secured and locked by a key, in the side boxes.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    The 1000 foot school Federal Law is a feel good law. I can not find where one person was charged for this unless they were charged with another crime taking place within 1000 foot of a school. IT is an add on charge that will be used against those who break another law. Just like selling drugs within 1000 foot of a school. They are breaking another law before they are charged with breaking that law.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    The 1000 foot school Federal Law is a feel good law. I can not find where one person was charged for this unless they were charged with another crime taking place within 1000 foot of a school. IT is an add on charge that will be used against those who break another law. Just like selling drugs within 1000 foot of a school. They are breaking another law before they are charged with breaking that law.
    Thats true and I really dont think Tn would enforce it to any degree. Yet some states I wouldnt trust it. They do have it if they wanted to enforce it. It would be a gamble.

There is no federal law or regulation that prohibits a commercial truck driver from possessing a firearm. Urban myth. There are, however, company policies that prohibit firearms in company trucks. The various state laws do apply, so do your research of the states you plan on driving through.

Anyone, driving any motor vehicle of any kind, is protected under the Firearm Owner's Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. 921. That act sets standards on HOW you carry but does not prohibit possession. Firearm Owners Protection Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you drive for "BFT Trucking," and they have a policy against guns in their trucks, whether or not you adhere to that policy is up to you. Classic choice: Shall I be safe, or shall I continue to be employed with this company?

Next time you hear someone claim that law or DOT regulation, ask them to give you the legal citation. They won't be able to, because it does not exist.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post

Anyone, driving any motor vehicle of any kind, is protected under the Firearm Owner's Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. 921. That act sets standards on HOW you carry but does not prohibit possession. Firearm Owners Protection Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    1 - be careful of Wikipedia; it may or may not be accurate.
    2 - be careful of blanket statements; Maryland, New Jersey and New York are infamous for ignoring the FOPA and arresting folks caught passing through their states with firearms in their possession.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

New Member Array aurea.henry.me's Avatar
    I am a licensed class a cdl driver with a ky conceal carry permit. I too had this question so I called the weigh station in my state to ask them being as they would know and with a ccdw permit you are perfectly legal to carry a firearm in a commercial vehicle. There is no law federal or state that prohibits you from carrying in your rig. The state you are in must recognize your states permit. This is according to the dot officers in my state. Hope this helps.

truck straps and trailer tarps for trucks

If the company has rules against it, its just like a company rule for one with a building.
    What do you value more: Your second amendment rights or your job?. Make a choise.

The trucking companies are afraid of you having to legally use it, then they get sued.
    After all you came out of one of their trucks with a gun........

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    If the company has rules against it, its just like a company rule for one with a building.
    What do you value more: Your second amendment rights or your job?. Make a choise.

The trucking companies are afraid of you having to legally use it, then they get sued.
    After all you came out of one of their trucks with a gun........
    I'm no longer trucking, but never concerned myself with company policy regarding the exercise of my 2nd Amendment and CHL rights. Concealed means concealed. I obeyed state and federal laws. I was an owner-operator and booked my own loads, so I could easily avoid unfriendly locales.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Consult your union representatives. This is the one area your due entitle you some representation. If I was a OTR driver, I would never be without at least 2 guns and 200 rounds of ammo, which I tend to shoot off at the end of a long run or once a month to keep in top form. You guys are exposed to more bad elements from across the land than any of us, who tend to have better chance to study and be familiar with our surrounding since we live here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links