Can Commercial Truck Drivers Carry?

This is a discussion on Can Commercial Truck Drivers Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this has been addressed elsewhere, and maybe even here, but I could find no indication in the search engine. I keep hearing about ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Can Commercial Truck Drivers Carry?

VIP Member

Can Commercial Truck Drivers Carry?

I know this has been addressed elsewhere, and maybe even here, but I could find no indication in the search engine. I keep hearing about some federal regulation that specifically prohibits truck drivers from carrying while operating their big trucks. I even know one instructor who insists on including it as a part of his class. I hear it in truck stops. I hear it on the CB. Can anyone cite a law or regulation?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    There is no federal law. When driving a commercial truck the driver must follow the laws of the state they are in. If you have a permit/license that is valid in that state then you can legally carry your firearm on you. Now your company might have rules against it but you are not breaking a law but their rule and they can fire you for that. This letter is on Handgunlaw.us.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/C...dFirerarms.pdf

You can read it and print it and show it to your instructor and then look him straight in the eye and just state. What Federal Law or Regulation states it is illegal for me to carry a personnel firearm in my vehicle. There is no such federal law or regulation. HE can say what he wants but tell him to just show me the law.
    oneshot and aurea.henry.me like this.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

VIP Member
    Thanks, Gary. I have had occasion to encounter LEOs while operating a semi, and while they are usually surprised when I inform (it seems very few truckers actually carry), none of them have ever taken any exception to the fact I was armed. They have been surprisingly cordial about it.

Fantastic site, btw. Thanks for all you do.

VIP Member
    Its been a long time since I had a CDL but I do recall it was forbidden. Can't recall if it was a State DOT thing' or just a company policy.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    I believe some companies believe it is a federal law. I also believe some keep saying that so they catch any heat for their company policy. But again there is no federal law about carrying personnel firearms in a commercial Truck. No state I know of has a law against commercial truck drivers carrying. That is if they have a valid permit/license to carry in that state then there is no state law saying they can't. Fed law against carrying is an urban legend that has been around for decades.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

this is one of those things that has been said so many time people think its a law, just like some of our log book bs, you CAN carry in your big truck as long it would be ok to carry in a 4wheeler

There is no Fed law concerning carrying in a truck but there is that stupid GUN FREE SAFE ZONE thing otr drivers would definately have to worry about.

truckers

While it may not be against the law, most companies have strict rules against it. A lot like regular places of work.
    Usually, the upper management consults a lawyer who says no way.

As said above, its legal in a semi where its legal in a 4 wheller. size of vehicle makes no difference.
    A big problem would arise if you got caught in a sate which is anti-gun, like Il, NY, Mass, etc

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I believe it's states laws. Not legal in Minnesota I'm sure.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I believe it's states laws. Not legal in Minnesota I'm sure. (well pretty sure) every time I say I'm positive I get bit LOL
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    I believe it's states laws. Not legal in Minnesota I'm sure. (well pretty sure) every time I say I'm positive I get bit LOL
    Can you cite the code that makes it illegal, please?

Gary, nice to see it in writing. I was under the assumption it was illegal for a long time. Found out I was wrong shortly after getting my permit. My company does have a policy though. Another issue for truckers is that the companies you deliver to may forbid firearms, and they tend to treat delivery drivers as employees. So even if your company is OK with it, they might cause a stink for you if found out.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    A big problem would arise if you got caught in a sate which is anti-gun, like Il, NY, Mass, etc
    That is a huge issue. Passing thru FOPA will cover you...but if you have to deliver in one of these states FOPA no longer applies as that state IS the destination for that trip.

I try to follow the law, but company policies are subject to my discretion... especially when my safety is at stake.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    Yes, this one is a biter. Minnesota recognizes my Ohio CHL, so I am legal there regardless of what I'm driving.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links