Question for South Carolina permit holders....

This is a discussion on Question for South Carolina permit holders.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a search, but couldn't find exactly what I needed to know (also looked on handgunlaws.us and a search on dogpile...without success). Can someone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Question for South Carolina permit holders....

VIP Member

Question for South Carolina permit holders....

I did a search, but couldn't find exactly what I needed to know (also looked on handgunlaws.us and a search on dogpile...without success). Can someone tell me if either south Carolina state law or federal law prohibits concealed carry in a gun store? Thanks for any help!
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm not aware of any laws that prohibit this.

Just yesterday, I was in an LGS and one of the clerks dropped a book on the floor that made a loud 'BLAM'. The owner joked that he was surprised that everybody in the store didn't clear leather.
    shooterX and jem102 like this.

VIP Member
    LGS employee put hands on a customer, lifting his cover garment to expose firearm, saying something about him concealing in the store, not clear on the incident 100%, but wanted to verify that CCing in GS wasn't prohibited. This "person" is a bit of a tool, and I have witnessed him making customers uncomfortable in the part, especially women, so this incident doesn't surprise me.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    No, (As long as it is not posted by the owner.)

many gun stores post signs prohibiting guns in some states the signs are backed by the law while in others the signs mean nothing, in most states a property owner can ask you to leave at any time. learn the laws in your state

As tcox said, the fact that it is a gun store does not preclude CC. It would have to be legally posted.

VIP Member
    What I thought, just wanted clarification, thanks everyone!

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    ...and if the LGS employee tried to pull up my shirt to expose my CCW he might get his jaw popped.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    LGS employee put hands on a customer, lifting his cover garment to expose firearm, saying something about him concealing in the store, not clear on the incident 100%, but wanted to verify that CCing in GS wasn't prohibited. This "person" is a bit of a tool, and I have witnessed him making customers uncomfortable in the part, especially women, so this incident doesn't surprise me.
    You don't want an employee intentionally laying their hands on a customer without permission under any circumstances. Besides the fact that it could cost you customers, it could get you sued - especially if you know it happened and you continue to allow it to happen. But if an employee put his/her hands on me and pulled up my shirt to intentionally expose my CC, I would immediately ask for the manager and demand that he/she be terminated. I understand that many people in the store are probably carrying also, but I don't tell strangers that I carry, and I certainly won't stand for a store employee "exposing" me. I would let the manager know that I would not do business there again as long as he/she is employed.

I also would have to take it as a lesson, because obviously I wasn't very well concealed.

VIP Member
    Sounds like you need to find a different LGS. I'd also post the name of the one this happened at, so others can avoid it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

1) Depends on state law - look at Handgunlaw.us and check, but I doubt there is an SC law prohibiting CC in a LGS. There is no federal law
    2) The LGS employee commited battery (the unlawful touching of a person). Whether or not the store was posted (doubtful still), unless you are trying to effectuate a citizens' arrest for a crime, you cannot grab someone and do anything to them. The gun owner should press charges so the LGS owner (who probably has received complaints in the past) can terminate him and note for the file in case this idiot tries to sue for his job
    3) My LGS only requires a holster or a gun rug for all weapons. I walk in and out of there concealed and no one says squat. You just can't whip it out.

VIP Member
    Most folks who live in my area will most likely be familiar with this place and this guy. From what I understand sales are already down for them.

this place isn't in greenville county is it? because I have a friend that something very similar happened to not long ago

As many have said,"No Issue at all". However the store may post his own sign which would need to conform to the states sign critera to be valid.

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    As many have said,"No Issue at all". However the store may post his own sign which would need to conform to the states sign critera to be valid.
    that depends on the state you are in, some states the signs are backed by law and others like here in FLA the signs mean little

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links