Been carrying my blue gun

This is a discussion on Been carrying my blue gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; IMO, that's for home only....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Been carrying my blue gun

IMO, that's for home only.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Not knocking your post just want to throw some things out there to you.

In the LE community and the world in general the saying if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is probably a duck. You are carrying a realistic replica of a firearm. Even though it is blue it looks like a gun.

Lets say you are out somewhere and you find yourself in the middle of a SD situation and you react by reaching for your firearm/blue gun as you should. If the BG sees this you are now a target and he will probably either laugh himself into a stupor when he sees your blue gun or shoot you just because he does not care if it is a blue gun or not.
    If there is an LEO around and you reach for your gun it is what is known as a "furtive movement" and can be constituted as a threat. Basically if you make the actions as you are trying to draw a firearm then the LEO or whomever can assume you are in fact reaching for a firearm. Now hopefully the other person would identify the blue gun and not engage but what if it is someone new or not well trained or just fires to quickly.

You do whatever you deem best suited for you but IMO blue guns, sim guns and anything else that resembles a firearm used for training should be left at home.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Yeah, I think you are doing the right thing, here. You will be much more comfortable when you actually start carrying. Having a level head is the best tool you can use. This should keep you from freaking out and being paranoid - like most people who start to carry for the first time. I know that I did for a few days. Hence we have the "walmart walk" threads and such.

The people considering that you are making yourself a "target" by practicing CCing is ...kinda ludicrous, lol. If you don't have a gun, you don't have a gun. Good luck on your purchase!

Only my opinion but I think you would be better off stuffing a hard sunglass case in your pants and walk around seeing if you print, drop it or to just get used to something in your belt. Although any problems from your idea are extremely remote remember the Murphy's law factor.

As far as feeling comfortable mentally, carrying a red, blue, pink or any other non-gun item is still not a gun, and you know it.

When you're carrying a real firearm no amount of time spent with a blue gun or for that matter a Manhattan telephone directory strapped to your waist will make it any more comfortable, because it's a real gun and you know it.

Get a pistol, get some training and when the time comes to carry let us know about your first Wally Walk.

I've carried everything from a .32 Tomcat to a 8 1/2 inch .44mag. for 37 years and have never been made.

Good belt, holster and cover garments, a mirror check and you're good to go.

Again only my opinion, stated from my own limited experience.

Good Luck
    bosco
    9MMare likes this.

Does the blue gun, go bang,bang,bang? If not, and you run into one of more common occurances, which is the real reason we are carrying in the first place, I'm hoping you can back down the bad guys, with the blue gun, that DOESN'T go bang,bang,bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Practice, practice, practice.
    good advice. and may I add that the OP should find a SD trainer and learn how to properly utilize his weapon for his protection. the carrying paranoia will go away real fast, but not knowing how to draw and put bullets on target accurately is far more of an issue than being spotted carrying

Welp,hope you only run into "blue bad-guy's"!

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    good advice. and may I add that the OP should find a SD trainer and learn how to properly utilize his weapon for his protection. the carrying paranoia will go away real fast, but not knowing how to draw and put bullets on target accurately is far more of an issue than being spotted carrying
    I have been taking classes for the past two years. I scored a 227 out of 240 on my Class G License (Armed security) range requalification back in August. I'm working unarmed right now, but I went ahead and got the license cause I figured it would probably put me ahead of people applying for jobs that didn't have it.

I'm not paranoid. I'm not carrying the blue gun cause I'm afraid of firearms. I'm not like those people that carry with an empty chamber (and I don't mean to belittle them.) I simply figured as long as I was getting the blue gun and the holster I would put in some practice with carrying to, like I said, get used to the bulk and concealing it.

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    I have been taking classes for the past two years. I scored a 227 out of 240 on my Class G License (Armed security) range requalification back in August. I'm working unarmed right now, but I went ahead and got the license cause I figured it would probably put me ahead of people applying for jobs that didn't have it.

I'm not paranoid. I'm not carrying the blue gun cause I'm afraid of firearms. I'm not like those people that carry with an empty chamber (and I don't mean to belittle them.) I simply figured as long as I was getting the blue gun and the holster I would put in some practice with carrying to, like I said, get used to the bulk and concealing it.
    to be frank with you, carrying a plastic gun in public is one of the most foolish things I've ever seen posted in a gun forum, if you get a cwfl, who gives a rat's butt if the gun bulges on your hip? you're legal to carry! once you get over the initial yips of carrying it won't be such an issue. I have no clue as to your guard training, but I bet it isn't what a good SD trainer can teach you, I can send you to a good one in volusia

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    to be frank with you, carrying a plastic gun in public is one of the most foolish things I've ever seen posted in a gun forum, if you get a cwfl, who gives a rat's butt if the gun bulges on your hip? you're legal to carry! once you get over the initial yips of carrying it won't be such an issue. I have no clue as to your guard training, but I bet it isn't what a good SD trainer can teach you, I can send you to a good one in volusia
    I have taken other classes, I only mention the guard course because it's the only one where I received a score based on marksmanship. If you are familiar with S2 I have taken all three of their defensive handgun classes and their defensive carbine class. I'm by no means an expert and I do intend to keep taking courses so I would love to hear which school you're speaking of.

My blue gun was only $50 bucks. I got it as a training tool + I'm going to spray paint it black and use it as a prop for a costume I plan on wearing to a local comic convention next year.
    I think this is a really bad idea. Once you paint it black, it is no longer recognizable as a fake gun. The possibilities for misinterpretation are endless if you carry it that way, even in a costume.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I think this is a really bad idea. Once you paint it black, it is no longer recognizable as a fake gun. The possibilities for misinterpretation are endless if you carry it that way, even in a costume.
    Have you ever been to a comic book convention? There are hundreds of people in costume with weapons ranging from medieval battle axes to P90s. What they do is (AFAIK, I've never done it personally before) carry their props in a bag until they are in the convention center, then they suit up.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    And I will be as soon as I can afford one. I'm not carrying the blue gun for effectiveness. It's to practice. Like I said, I'm saving my money up but ATM, I'm only working 16 hours a week (better than when I started. They didn't know they were going to have any hours for me, they were just hiring me as a fill in.)
    "BRTCP88" I am a partner and General Mgr. of a business here in Tampa, area of 301 & 60. I can always use GOOD HELP...PM me...

p.s. my employees can carry
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well, that's why I don't carry in a tuckable holster. It's a Galco Summer Comfort and I carry it with a cover garment that completely covers the whole set up. I did think about getting found out and LEOs wondering why I was carrying a blue gun and whether my CWFL covers that or not.
    Gee that's an interesting point. If you get made by LEO, even if it is a blue gun, you had better have a CPL permit I would think, because bank robbers have tried to rob banks using toy guns before. If it looks like a gun you need to make sure your legal to carry it.

I can understand the want to carry, and even applaud the enthusiasm, however while we stress train train train, practice practice practice; we also stress that you need to train and practice in the manner in which you will fight; you will not be fighting with a blue gun; and you will not be doing practice drills in the grocery store gas station movie theater or mall (unless your name is Gecko, then there are exemptions made).

Carrying with an empty chamber while it would cause unnecessary delay in time of need would still provide a chance at offering self defense, and would make a heck of a better bluff if the case so happened to be.

I have taken other classes, I only mention the guard course because it's the only one where I received a score based on marksmanship. If you are familiar with S2 I have taken all three of their defensive handgun classes and their defensive carbine class. I'm by no means an expert and I do intend to keep taking courses so I would love to hear which school you're speaking of.
    Marksmanship does you no good with a blue gun. None what so ever.
    Have you ever been to a comic book convention? There are hundreds of people in costume with weapons ranging from medieval battle axes to P90s. What they do is (AFAIK, I've never done it personally before) carry their props in a bag until they are in the convention center, then they suit up.
    Yes even these people are separating a controlled environment from the real world and adjusting their actions accordingly.

If you're so certain nobody will see it, then there's no need to practice hiding it. If you need practice hiding it, you need to practice concealment at home in a controlled environment, using the blue gun here would be ok, and it would be a good tool for practicing drawing too. If you want to practicing carrying in public or have not yet gained the confidence needed to comfortably conceal in public then you need to be carrying the real thing because if those insecurities are founded in truth and your gun becomes exposed to the wrong person or at the wrong time you may very well end up needing the real thing and in a hurry. I carry a Glock, so it's a pretty light gun, but one loaded magazine easily out weighs any blue gun or airsoft look alike I've picked up, so practicing concealment with, while it might be a good indicator when figuring out if clothes will provide sufficient cover, isn't going to give you an appreciation for the weight or the pants sagging on an improper belt, so now that stride walk and fit of clothing has all changed due to weight. And as was pointed out you know it's not real, so this practice may very well be breeding complacency, and that can lead to retention issue when you start carrying the real thing.

I get it you're not working much and it's harder to save the pennies, I've been there (I had to save up for 7 months before purchasing my first firearm); but you need to accept that carrying right now just isn't in the cards and in the mean time you're going to be better off honing the proper mindset, situational awareness and physical defensive tactics skills. Learn to start watching who is around, where they are in relation to you, how they are acting, learn where to sit in a restaurant, make a habit of keeping your feet square when standing around, make a habit of protecting your strong side and putting walls at your back so nobody can sneak up on you, make it a point to always know your cross streets and 2 exit paths from any room. Read up from the loads of books out there on defensive mindset and firearm use. Learn the ins and outs of the laws that apply to you so there's not a question of what and LEO might need to do or see if your blue gun was seen in public, very rarely do I see a law question on an internet forum that isn't best handled by that individual doing their own research beforehand (laws that are not yet published, or have recent court precedent are in a different category than knowing the basics). Sign up for a class teaching defensive hand to hand techniques, if legal in your area, get a few training cans of OC and learn when and how to deploy it and have someone spray yourself once so you know what to expect and how to fight through it. Get a defensive knife that fits your local laws and take a class on how to use it in a combat situation. Start building the odds in your favor in a real manner. Skills that you're both more likely to need than you're gun, when you do get to a point, and they're something real you can do right now, instead of being out in public pretending like someone that's at a comic book convention.

I've held back from posting in this thread for a while and really tried to see your logic on it, but I can't see anyway this is going to help, but I can see many many ways that this can turn into disaster.

Glock Certified Armorer

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links