Been carrying my blue gun

This is a discussion on Been carrying my blue gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I've said, I bought a blue gun to practice concealment and draw with. I've also been carrying it whenever I go out somewhere. I'm ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Been carrying my blue gun

Been carrying my blue gun

As I've said, I bought a blue gun to practice concealment and draw with. I've also been carrying it whenever I go out somewhere. I'm starting to get over the anxious feeling that there is a giant neon sign indicating that I have a gun (there's still a placard around my neck, lol.) Even wearing my NRA hat, no one seems to put 2 & 2 together. I'm planning on buying myself an actual handgun for Christmas. Just thought I would share.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Practice, practice, practice.

Man that's great! I want to play devils advocate for a second though. Say you're out at the store and a well educated BG notices the clips from your holster, or your grip printing, who do you think his first target will be? I think what you're doing is great, just something to think about. If I'm carrying something that resembles a gun, I want it to have the same bite as it's bark, so to speak.
    Chad Rogers likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth. - George Washington
    Keeping it "on the square"

Quote Originally Posted by rockerff View Post
    Man that's great! I want to play devils advocate for a second though. Say you're out at the store and a well educated BG notices the clips from your holster, or your grip printing, who do you think his first target will be? I think what you're doing is great, just something to think about. If I'm carrying something that resembles a gun, I want it to have the same bite as it's bark, so to speak.
    Well, that's why I don't carry in a tuckable holster. It's a Galco Summer Comfort and I carry it with a cover garment that completely covers the whole set up. I did think about getting found out and LEOs wondering why I was carrying a blue gun and whether my CWFL covers that or not.

Good point. I would only wear it around the house.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

If I'm going to carry out in public, it's either going to be the 'real McCoy' or nothing.OMO
    Wearing something to break in the holster around the house sounds fine, but just not when out and about.
    9MMare likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    Well, that's why I don't carry in a tuckable holster. It's a Galco Summer Comfort and I carry it with a cover garment that completely covers the whole set up. I did think about getting found out and LEOs wondering why I was carrying a blue gun and whether my CWFL covers that or not.
    Simply explain to them that you have been having problems with some Smurfs in your area...

You whole train of thought eludes me.
    tcon67 likes this.

OK, seems I've stepped in some doggy poo with this thread. I'm carrying the blue gun because at the moment I'm saving up to buy a handgun for CC and I thought I would go ahead and get used to the weight/bulk of the gun, see what kind of clothes work best with the gun, and practice not printing/not fidgeting with my shirt. Not really worried about some one spotting me and trying to take my gun. How many people have tried to take a open carrier's gun?

I wasn't really worried about getting stopped by the cops, it just popped into my head. I figured it would probably look weird to people, and I was obviously right, lol.

I'm going to continue to carry my blue gun until I buy my real carry piece for the above reasons. Thanks for your concern, and opinions.

I have to agree with the other posters here. Practice and break in is one thing, but I'm not sure the point of carrying a blue gun around in public. No offense intended.
    9MMare and tcon67 like this.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    The only place your Blue gun will be effective is Bisbee, AZ when the bottom of the mine shaft opens and the little green people come out. In the mean time it is time to carry lthe real thing and get used to it.

Distinguished Member
    What's wrong with practicing, it seems like a good idea to me. You can drop that sucker in the restroom a few times before you perfect that problem, and no harm done.

By the time you get the permit and the hardware you will be good to go.

It would be handy to practice drawing and pointing at a training partner. I don't like to point my real guns at anybody even if it is triple checked. In fact pointing a fake gun gives me pause but that I could do for practice.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I see it as an invitation to disaster. But that's just me...

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    What's wrong with practicing, it seems like a good idea to me. You can drop that sucker in the restroom a few times before you perfect that problem, and no harm done.

By the time you get the permit and the hardware you will be good to go.

It would be handy to practice drawing and pointing at a training partner. I don't like to point my real guns at anybody even if it is triple checked. In fact pointing a fake gun gives me pause but that I could do for practice.
    Thank you. At least not everyone thinks I'm a weirdo, lol

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    The only place your Blue gun will be effective is Bisbee, AZ when the bottom of the mine shaft opens and the little green people come out. In the mean time it is time to carry lthe real thing and get used to it.
    And I will be as soon as I can afford one. I'm not carrying the blue gun for effectiveness. It's to practice. Like I said, I'm saving my money up but ATM, I'm only working 16 hours a week (better than when I started. They didn't know they were going to have any hours for me, they were just hiring me as a fill in.)

I do think the concerns listed by others are valid. I also think your purposes are reasonable if you are being careful and accept the fact that you may be putting yourself in slightly more risk by appearing armed with no ability to back it up. Hopefully you can replace the blue gun with a real one soon.

-Mike

All this crap of practice, practice, practice, and here is someone practicing and people have issue with it. Get real. OP continue to practice, when you get your real gun, I think the transfer should be smooth.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links