Applied for CC permit, possibly moving before it arrives...

This is a discussion on Applied for CC permit, possibly moving before it arrives... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My first post! First I want to say that my family and I are excited and honored to be joining this community. Question: My wife ...

My first post! First I want to say that my family and I are excited and honored to be joining this community.

Question: My wife and I recently took the course and applied for our Concealed Carry permits (Oklahoma). We expect our permits to arrive sometime in December... hopefully earlier. However, there is a good chance that we will be relocating to Montana before receiving our permits.

What is our best course of action if we move? I'm not too clear on the "reciprocity" rules, etc. in this case. Do we need to re-apply for our permits as soon as we move our permanent address? If we are in Montana, obviously it will be difficult to pick up our permits in Oklahoma (in person). Would they be willing to mail them to the proper authorities in Montana, or would they be rendered invalid due to our move?

Thanks in advance for any advice! I hope I posted this in the correct place...

VIP Member
    First off welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately it appears that you have wasted the cost of the permits, if you relocate. Once you establish residence in another state your Oklahoma permit would no longer be valid. Oklahoma does not issue a Non-resident permit, so even the chances of getting the type of permit changed doesn'r exist.

Once you meet the criteria for a Montana permit, apply for it.

Just out of curiosity what part of OK are you located? I spent 17 years in SW OK (81-98).
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sm31 View Post
    My first post! First I want to say that my family and I are excited and honored to be joining this community.

Question: My wife and I recently took the course and applied for our Concealed Carry permits (Oklahoma). We expect our permits to arrive sometime in December... hopefully earlier. However, there is a good chance that we will be relocating to Montana before receiving our permits.

What is our best course of action if we move? I'm not too clear on the "reciprocity" rules, etc. in this case. Do we need to re-apply for our permits as soon as we move our permanent address? If we are in Montana, obviously it will be difficult to pick up our permits in Oklahoma (in person). Would they be willing to mail them to the proper authorities in Montana, or would they be rendered invalid due to our move?
    Thanks in advance for any advice! I hope I posted this in the correct place...
    I am NOT a Lawyer but I know of NO State that recognizes "dual residency " for the purpose of weapon carry permits.

There is no NATIONAL or FEDERAL PERMIT ( not even national reciprocity --- not yet )

You either reside in one state or the other.

RECIPROCITY means that a particular state accepts your permit FROM YOUR STATE OF RESIDENCE as equal to one that they would issue to a resident -
    WHILE YOU ARE THERE TEMPORARILY.

They then ALLOW you to carry as long as you obey the LAWS of the state you are in.

If you change your state of residence you will need to APPLY in your NEW STATE.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Thanks for the quick replies!!

I was "afraid" of that. No problem though. Maybe we're able to help the stats in 2 states. ;)

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Call them up. If they haven't processed them yet it is possible they will allow you to cancel the applications and refund your money.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    I am NOT a Lawyer but I know of NO State that recognizes "dual residency " for the purpose of weapon carry permits.

There is no NATIONAL or FEDERAL PERMIT ( not even national reciprocity --- not yet )

You either reside in one state or the other.

RECIPROCITY means that a particular state accepts your permit FROM YOUR STATE OF RESIDENCE as equal to one that they would issue to a resident -
    WHILE YOU ARE THERE TEMPORARILY.

They then ALLOW you to carry as long as you obey the LAWS of the state you are in.

If you change your state of residence you will need to APPLY in your NEW STATE.

But isn't it possible to get NON-RESIDENT PERMIT for certain states that allow you to carry in other states. It seems to me that I see some people mention Florida as being a state that issues non-resident permits. Having a permit from a state that the state your traveling in recognizes then allows you to carry in your that state, providing of course the state you in allows non resident permits.

I know that sounds confusing, example, Apply for Florida non resident permit, if Montana recognizes Florida non-resident permit your covered until you can get a Montana permit. I'm not saying it is the case, but it seems to me I see people post here that they have various non resident permits that allow them to carry in other states then their own. This of course does not take into consideration that once you establish "residency" in a new state the permit might not be valid.

PA allows out of State residents to apply for PA permits. I have a friend that actually has a NY permit. So I looked into it and he can apply for a permit and will get a PA permit as out of State resident. I have also heard some people that live in PA have permits from out of State and their permit is good in PA even though they do not have a PA permit. I remember FL being one of those out of State permit issuers that PA residents have been getting. It would be a good idea to call the permit office in both States and ask what options are available.

Pennsylvania no longer licenses out of staters by mail; you must apply in person. Also, if your home state has a concealed carry permit, you must supply a copy of that permit.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Actually I didn't know any PA county would ever license by mail. I think my county has always required you to do it in person and also come back later and pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by robalan View Post
    Actually I didn't know any PA county would ever license by mail. I think my county has always required you to do it in person and also come back later and pick it up.
    Mine was issued by Centre County and took a total of EIGHT DAYS from the time I mailed the application until I got the permit.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

eb
    If it were me, I'd just call and inform them of the move, and cancel the application processing. Maybe you'll get your money back...

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum! Bummer on having to move before you receive your permit. I had to move twice and lost out on two different permits. Contact the agency and see if they'll refund the fees and stop the process. Good luck in Montana!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by 74 View Post
    Call them up. If they haven't processed them yet it is possible they will allow you to cancel the applications and refund your money.
    Really, no offense meant dude() , but a government agency refunding money???? Right.....

Links