LCP and LC9

This is a discussion on LCP and LC9 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For a close in soft shooting .380. I love the S&W Bodyguard. Solid Head shots at 15 yards and what most defensive shootings are at ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: LCP and LC9

For a close in soft shooting .380.

I love the S&W Bodyguard. Solid Head shots at 15 yards and what most defensive shootings are at nine feet?

If I need a bigger gun than a pocket pistol thats when I reach for the Saiga in .308 and 12gauge slug rounds, and my backup 9mm with 40 or so shots.

Now if I could fit the Saiga 12 concealed in my pocket I would but alas, I think if 13 rounds of .380 is insufficient, I messed up somewhere.

2. Remove Ads

Check out the Taurus TCP. Don't listen to the internet and go handle one for yourself alongside a S&W Bodyguard and LCP. The choice will be obvious.

Yes ignore all the issues Taurus owners experience.

Can't speak for all the other models. All I can say is the TCP I got has been flawless...to my great surprise. (B series, I heard the earlier ones with A series were the troublemakers)

I have both and plan to keep them. Most the time I carry the LC9 because of the addition power and my ability to hit things at a longer distance than with the LCP. They are great guns and I would buy them again. I have heard a lot of good about the Kahr PM9. It would be worth looking at.

I own both and highly recommend having both to rotate in your carry rotation to accommodate various clothing needs.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I have had an LCP for some time now and it is a great little gun, and with the Pearce Mag extender you can fit a full hand on there pretty well. On the other side of the coin I got a Kahr CM9 and I love this gun too, not much bigger at all and other than gym shorts it's as easy to pocket carry as the LCP. I would continue shopping around if I was you, if your not sure about something and you don't need to make a decision right away just sit on it and it will work itself out.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

eb
    My wife and I both have a Taurus TCP. Both have been completely reliable (B-series guns). We chose them over the LCP due to ergonomics. I carry mine mostly when I walk the dog (prefer a bigger gun/caliber for EDC when I'm out and about).

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Why do people continue to insist that a "pocket" pistol have all the attributes of a full-size range gun and complain when it doesn't? Face it--a pocket pistol is a tool of last resort and at that point "grip" and "trigger pull" have pretty much become irrrelvant.

You want a stand-off firearm capable of fending off a gang of drug-crazed zombies, get something that carries 15-20 rounds and an ammo box full of spare mags. You want something that will conceal under almost any clothing and will be more than ample for when some BG accosts you on a street corner, then get a pocket pistol and quit cripping about how it's tough to put 50 rounds thru it. That's not what it's degined for and that's not the ontent of the firearm.

My choice would always be the 9mm over the .380, even at the sacrifice of a few fractions of an inch in size.
    Exactly.I like the LC9,small,concealable. Certainly I shoot better with the G26,and I can shoot one mag after the other. I wanted something thin and of course most life or death self defense situations are up close. Most of us will never need to use a gun other than for target practice.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Well I have all three, started with the XD, to thick to sit on all day, went to the lcp, carried it everywhere. Realley wanted a nine so I picked up the. Lc9. It is thin and conceals much more comfortably than the XD yet still feels like a nearly full grip.
    As far as trigger and accuracy go, it's not a target trigger on the lc9, but it's not bad either, and wears in nicely with practice. Accuracy? I've posted a picture here of a 3inch hole at 25 yards from the lcp with 2 flyers still in the vitals. A self defense ranges these pistols are more than accurate enough. Is a kahr a better pistol with a better trigger? Probably, but you get both rugers for the price of one kahr or the lc9, a cross breed and 500 rounds of practice for a$100 less.
    Got the lcp with me today.

Sent from my iPad
    Buckj likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Why do people continue to insist that a "pocket" pistol have all the attributes of a full-size range gun and complain when it doesn't? Face it--a pocket pistol is a tool of last resort and at that point "grip" and "trigger pull" have pretty much become irrrelvant.

You want a stand-off firearm capable of fending off a gang of drug-crazed zombies, get something that carries 15-20 rounds and an ammo box full of spare mags. You want something that will conceal under almost any clothing and will be more than ample for when some BG accosts you on a street corner, then get a pocket pistol and quit cripping about how it's tough to put 50 rounds thru it. That's not what it's degined for and that's not the ontent of the firearm.

My choice would always be the 9mm over the .380, even at the sacrifice of a few fractions of an inch in size.
    This!

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I have no experience with the LCP, but do with the LC9. Picked up a LC9 for my wife when she was looking for a small 9mm for carry. Absolutely hated the trigger on it, excessively long. If you haven't shot it yet, I would suggest you do before buying it.

I sold it and went with the Kahr CW9 for her. Trigger is extremely smooth and crisp. Great shooter.
    Definitely shoot the LC9 first. I bought an LC9, tried to like it, sold it.

I have an LCP. I've not gone unarmed when I wanted to be armed since I brought it home. The most important characteristic of a defensive handgun is that you have it with you when you need it. The LCP is most likely to be there, especially in the summer.

I pack a G26 when ever I can hide it, the LCP the rest of the time.

I am waiting till I get a chance to shoot a CM9. I think I might like it.

What I really want is for Glock to make a single stack 9mm with the same trigger pull as my G26 that is the same size as the PM9 or CM9. I don't see any reason for a pistol to have as long a trigger pull as seems to be in vogue on recent offerings.

Fitch
    Tex32Cal likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

no manual safety....no loaded chamber indicator....no crappy trigger......and in a service caliber adequate for self defense.

Kahr CM9

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    no manual safety....no loaded chamber indicator....no crappy trigger......and in a service caliber adequate for self defense.

Kahr CM9

I can not tell you how good that looks to me. I can hardly wait to get a chance to shoot one.

If the trigger is as it was described in Gun test Magazine, I'll be buying one.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    I can not tell you how good that looks to me. I can hardly wait to get a chance to shoot one.

If the trigger is as it was described in Gun test Magazine, I'll be buying one.

Fitch
    I have three Kahrs, CW9, CM9, and just picked up a CW45.....happy to say the CW45 has an even lighter and crisper trigger than the CM9. They are such cool little cannons, and seem so well made that its hard not to like them. Very soft shooters for such light, thin pistols. Buds Gun Shop has the CW9, CW40, & CW45 on sale all the time, so you can usually get them really cheap. CM9 has come down in price a bit, but is still around $410 delivered to your ffl. Buds also has a really good price on extra mags.
    ..........I'm patiently waiting for the CM45.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links