Ideal carry physique? - Page 2

Ideal carry physique?

This is a discussion on Ideal carry physique? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think to a great extent the ideal carry physique lies between the ears. You can make it happen someway somehow if the desire is ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Ideal carry physique?

Distinguished Member
    I think to a great extent the ideal carry physique lies between the ears.

You can make it happen someway somehow if the desire is there (and the pocketbook can withstand experimentation till you get it right).

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alexcantslee View Post
    They only ideal physique would be to be SOO big and scary NO ONE would ever try to harm you and then you wouldnt need a gun. Thats ideal. Any body made of flesh that can be harmed will always be less than ideal.
    Big Clint Walker vs Lee Marvin in 'The Dirty Dozen', seem scary but in that role he was slow and had no need to develop skill. Small and wiry, using the HG as a force multiplier, fast reflexes.

I can't get the exercise I need anymore,and eating habits suck,over the last 5 years I have gained about an inch every 2 years,36" waist and carry OWB,use to carry IWB with same jeans,I think it's a package deal,finding the right gun/holster combo to fit,some people can carry a FS 1911 and never print,some body shapes look like your infected with a John Moses Browning Tumor
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I recently lost about an inch on my waist and about 4% body fat since I started working out about a 7 weeks ago. I can tell you that carrying IWB is much more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    I recently lost about an inch on my waist and about 4% body fat since I started working out about a 7 weeks ago. I can tell you that carrying IWB is much more comfortable.
    I know I have needed to lose about thirty pounds for several years. Now that I am carrying IWB, I finally have the incentive to lose the weight. It will be MUCH more comfortable.

Tall, Dark, and a handful of gun.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    To be honest, you guys are all wrong. Ask yourself, pretending you're a BG, which 'physique' you least expect to have a firearm.

I carry with a partner, small female, who is a pretty good shooter, has high 'immediacy' attributes, and low fear of 'aftermath' in a good shoot.

Just watched Kill Me Again with Val Kilmer, and Joanna Whalley (his ex IRL). In one scene the BG has the drop of them and suddenly she shoots the BG through her purse. Nobody has their attention on the female.

In fact I think in some circumstances I just have to supply a little distraction and she could get out her shotgun, unnoticed, tunnel vision being what it is.

Now, paradoxically, for her, (and keeping more on the topic), she can't wear many IWB holsters, like the Crossbreed Supertuck, due to her hip, waist ratio - it's just too radical, and the backing would almost be horizontal, going from the hips to the small waist on the side.

More seriously, if you have 'muffin-top', bulging over your waistband, it's gotta be difficult to re-holster, though some pretty portly guys are top speed shooters (Munden, McGivern). So lose that waist bulge and love handles and you'll be a lot happier. With a waist of 33", and no bulges, I can carry very easily, and cover easily. My LCP in a black holster almost disappears at 4-5 o'clock with black tight fitting T-shirt.

I don`t think your build has much to do with carrying a gun, its more of finding the right gun and holster combination that works the best for you.
    Im not a thin person, at 5' 8" and 280 lbs, my waist size is 48'', and I carry a full size 1911 in a IWB Crossbreed Supertuck and its very comfortable to the point that
    sometimes i have to check and make sure my gun is still there.
    jerry12 likes this.

5 years ago I was fat and sick and killing myself. Now I am not at 6'0" and 190. I have it figured out. If you would like to know what I did to take care of these issues let me know. We need to figure how to communicate, but I'd be glad to share the methods I have used. As a point of reference --- I'm 57 years old.
    Last edited by Metalman; September 30th, 2011 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyMister View Post
    Has an ideal carry physique ever been determined? Have any of you found it easier or more comfortable to carry concealed after losing weight around your waist? It seems to me that broad shoulders and a narrow waist would make it easier to carry because shirts large enought to fit the upper body would fit loosely around the waist area, so it would'nt print as easily.

I'm hoping that losing some weight will help. Belly fat seems to work against carrying because when you tighten your belt it will want to move down, like trying to tighten a belt on the bottom of an egg. On the other hand if your waist is thinner, it would seem that your belt would be wedged above your hips and possibly angle your grip into your body more, making it harder to print. I would think that women with a typical female physique would have an advantage here as long as they don't wear tight-fitting shirts.

Carrying can be another incentive for being in shape. I just turned 50, and it is a real challenge for me to keep fit.

I'd like to hear what you all have learned by your own experience. We spend a lot of money on our gear, but our physique plays a huge role in how we carry.
    I can tell you all this: I lost 160 pounds in 2006/2007 and went from a 46/48 waist to a 29 inch waist. It not only because so much easier to carry any and all guns I own but everything got easier and better. My knees don't hurt anymore when i walk. I sleep much better and sounder. I don't snore. I don't get sick nearly as much anymore. Everything in my life got better. And I do mean everything.

My advice to any of you out there who are overweight is to get up, get active and lose the weight that is holding you back. Part of being prepared to defend yourself and your loved ones is to be in physical condition to be able to do so. And trust me, being 5 feet 8 inches tall and 325 pounds, I was not in any physical condition to defend anyone, myself included. I stopped eating crap and started eating healthy, i got an elliptical machine (no impact, I have bad knees) and started using it. At first just 30 minutes or so before I was so out of breather I was almost to pass out. By the end of month 2 I was up to 2 hours a night and had dropped a bunch of weight.

It took 9 months but I went from 325 to 165 pounds (I actually got to an all time low of 150 pounds but that only lasted a week or so) in 9 months. I then cut back the cardio and started lifting to build back up from 150 to 165 and have maintained pretty well.

I will admit that since moving to Indiana, a huge mistake on so many levels really, that the hours I work and the distance to a gym have made it very difficult to maintain what I had as far as physical condition in Tennessee, but I have only put on about 10 pounds that I really need to lose. My new goal is to get back in top shape by spring, a goal that i know I can reach with little problem.

Below is my before and after photos. They were actually my company ID picture. They made me take a new one as I no longer looked like the fat guy on my company ID after I lost the weight.

beforeandafterl.jpg
    tokerblue and PSLOwner like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Well done. I am in the process of losing 40 pounds - hopefully most by the end of the year. That will put me at 180. If I can do that much, I will be happy, although getting down to 165 would be nice. I hate exercising, but my stamina is poor and That needs to be improved, big time, too;
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I can tell you all this: I lost 160 pounds in 2006/2007 and went from a 46/48 waist to a 29 inch waist. It not only because so much easier to carry any and all guns I own but everything got easier and better. My knees don't hurt anymore when i walk. I sleep much better and sounder. I don't snore. I don't get sick nearly as much anymore. Everything in my life got better. And I do mean everything.

My advice to any of you out there who are overweight is to get up, get active and lose the weight that is holding you back. Part of being prepared to defend yourself and your loved ones is to be in physical condition to be able to do so. And trust me, being 5 feet 8 inches tall and 325 pounds, I was not in any physical condition to defend anyone, myself included. I stopped eating crap and started eating healthy, i got an elliptical machine (no impact, I have bad knees) and started using it. At first just 30 minutes or so before I was so out of breather I was almost to pass out. By the end of month 2 I was up to 2 hours a night and had dropped a bunch of weight.

It took 9 months but I went from 325 to 165 pounds (I actually got to an all time low of 150 pounds but that only lasted a week or so) in 9 months. I then cut back the cardio and started lifting to build back up from 150 to 165 and have maintained pretty well.

I will admit that since moving to Indiana, a huge mistake on so many levels really, that the hours I work and the distance to a gym have made it very difficult to maintain what I had as far as physical condition in Tennessee, but I have only put on about 10 pounds that I really need to lose. My new goal is to get back in top shape by spring, a goal that i know I can reach with little problem.

Below is my before and after photos. They were actually my company ID picture. They made me take a new one as I no longer looked like the fat guy on my company ID after I lost the weight.

beforeandafterl.jpg
    Major applause for your efforts and a huge congratulations on your results. Its amazing that you could do that much in 9 months. I'm in the process of revamping my diet to loose some weight as well and stories like this offer serious encouragement. There are some issues that prevent me from doing all that I want to do with an exercise regime and this is frustrating for me. I realize though that I need to have reasonable expectations because injury will prevent me from doing what I currently can do, etc. I am under the belief that loosing weight will also make IWB carrying a better option than it is for me now.

Great points made here in this post. I feel so much better when I'm at a healthy weight for me and I believe this affects everything; outlook, confidence, agility, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    My advice to any of you out there who are overweight is to get up, get active and lose the weight that is holding you back. Part of being prepared to defend yourself and your loved ones is to be in physical condition to be able to do so. And trust me, being 5 feet 8 inches tall and 325 pounds, I was not in any physical condition to defend anyone, myself included.
    - That's a really inspirational story. Congratulations on finding the motivation to become a much healthier person. I know that this forum is dedicated to carrying and protecting yourself, but getting into shape is more likely going to save your life than the act of carrying a firearm.
    DefConGun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
    5 years ago I was fat and sick and killing myself. Now I am not at 6'0" and 190. I have it figured out. If you would like to know what I did to take care of these issues let me know. We need to figure how to communicate, but I'd be glad to share the methods I have used. As a point of reference --- I'm 57 years old.
    So what did you do to take care of your health and weight issues ?. Im 47 years old, and I would be a lot better off by losing 50 + pounds.

As the OP, I'm taking the thread in a slightly different direction for those interested. Feel free to use it for a place to report progress and struggles if you are trying to lose weight, and how it is affecting your carry efforts. For those who are winning this battle, feel free to share tips, and how being lighter has improved your carrying. Tips on gear for certain body types would also be welcomed.

Here's my situation: I'm 50, 6' 0", and 219 lbs as of this morning. In my early 40's, I was very focused on diet and exercise, and weighed 180 during my best times. I'm now living with chronic pain, and eating as a distraction is a constant temptation. I have had a good week, and hope to keep the momentum going. My ideal weight would be 180, but may never see that again. I'd be thrilled with 190 at the moment. I'm able to carry my XDSC 9mm IWB with a Supertuck, but would be more comfortable if I lost some weight. After reading your posts, I have some new incentive, and hope to report some future progress.

Don't give up. As others have mentioned, being in better shape will help in many ways other than carrying.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links