Ideal carry physique? - Page 3

Ideal carry physique?

This is a discussion on Ideal carry physique? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ideal or otherwise, its clear that lean is always better for just about anything. I was blessed to have a fast metabolism to keep those ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Ideal carry physique?

VIP Member
    Ideal or otherwise, its clear that lean is always better for just about anything. I was blessed to have a fast metabolism to keep those proverbial love handles in check. However, at some point it becomes harder so diet and exercise has more meaning. Others have hereditary traits, etc. I know I would be better served if I were at the gym right now instead of banging on this keyboard.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Since I went back from recruiting duty to sea duty while in the Navy, I have went down from 196 to 170 lbs. (my weight last night after working out on my Muay Thai/combatives striking drills w/ the heavybag and double-end bag at the local mixed martial arts and boxing gym). My waist size went down from 37" to 33". And yes, carrying a subcompact or full-size pistol on a belt or in a holster can cause it to sag. To compensate for the sagging caused from wearing a belt holster, I use suspenders. And for my fannypack holster, which I only use when wearing any pants/shorts w/o a belt, I have to adjust it to tighten the fit around my fairly slim waist.
    TN_Mike likes this.

How did this go from a Physique/carry thread to bordering on Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig support group???

Not trying to be an arse, but if you think you are overweight, eat right and exercise. If you have fluctuating weight, get carry gear that will accommodate it. If you think your body is fine the way it is, but carrying is uncomfortable, first make sure you have a quality carry rig consisting of a gun belt, quality holster, and balance the weight (counter balance opposite side with spare magazine).

If you wear 36" waist pants normally, don't expect to shove a 2" thick weapon and holster combination IWB and expect it to be just as comfortable.

It has been long known that you have to adjust your wardrobe to your carry.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I use suspenders too. Dickie "Perry" from Walmart. They are cheap, but work well. I wear them between a T-shirt and an outer shirt.

I'm sure that there is no ideal carry physique. It's all in how determined you are to carry and how deep your pockets are (money wise).

I am a 53 year old fatty. No doubt about it I could stand to lose some weight. Problem is I drive truck locally and am only home about 7 hours each day. There's barely time to shower, eat dinner, and sleep 5-6 hours. Never mind exercise. I do get some exercise on my days off but not enough to promote weight loss.

However I still manage to carry a Glock 17 IWB on those non working days. It's all in your clothes and equipment. I've tried quite a few gun/holster/belt/suspenders/pants/shirt combinations and finally hit on what works for me. It took a while! The funniest thing is getting used to pants that are really bigger than I would normally wear. I can't hardly keep them up while getting dressed. They literally fall off even while zipped.

The best suggestion I can give to anybody that's trying to carry and having trouble is get a good belt. That's probably the biggest key to being able to pull it off. I'm currently using a 5.11 casual belt. It doesn't look like a gun belt but it works great.
    Question Everything!

There's a trend here, one group saying "I'm not in shape and I don't have any problem carrying." and another group saying, "Lost inches off the waist and carrying got a lot more comfortable and convenient."

I am of the opinion that having a favorable ratio of hip to waist to help keep that good gun belt up is an essential. Suspenders are a stopgap

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wdbailey View Post
    There's a trend here, one group saying "I'm not in shape and I don't have any problem carrying." and another group saying, "Lost inches off the waist and carrying got a lot more comfortable and convenient."

I am of the opinion that having a favorable ratio of hip to waist to help keep that good gun belt up is an essential. Suspenders are a stopgap
    People go with what they have got.

I agree with the top poster. I've lost almost 15 pounds of fat and put on some muscle. It's much easier to carry (even OWB) because of broader shoulders (potentially more separation between pistol/holster and shirt) and thinner waist. Not having as much blubber on the belt area is a great relief. It's been one of the incentives for me to drop some pounds :)

Built like Hulk Hogan. NO ONEwill be looking for a gun, and you really don't need one.........

Seriously, us "+ pounds" people can conceal one better. We usually were "relaxed fit clothing" which really lends itself toward IWB or pocket carry.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    Seriously, us "+ pounds" people can conceal one better.
    Oh, true

fat-woman-with-dog-up-her-ass.jpg

While ccw can be made to work with many carry methods and weapons, I am in the camp that a better physique comes closer to ideal for ccw.
    Attached Images
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I had a friend who was a cop

He was detailed to work at the Bush compound in Kennebunkport when George H W was visiting. He said that all of the Secret service agents had hour glass shaped bodies and, while wearing a straight cut suit jacket could easily conceal their sub machine gun or handgun. He swore you would never know they had that much hardware on them. Personally, I am starting the third week of a diet and am hoping to lose at least 30 pounds, forty would be better but might be unrealistic. I am 5'6"" and weighed about 185 at the start of this. I am hoping to get down to 150 or lower. I am not overly fat or obese but but I do have a gut. The pounds are already coming off and I definitely feel it when carrying. I can't imagine that it won't be easier to conceal when I am lighter.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    While ccw can be made to work with many carry methods and weapons, I am in the camp that a better physique comes closer to ideal for ccw.
    Guantes, I ALWAYS make sure to pay attention to your posts as they relate to anything that has to do with SD, LE, guns, etc.

But when you start posting about fashion, sorry guy, but I'm gonna' avoid them like a STD.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

lol

Fashion concessions are made for age. The fashions I wear in addition to providing great cover for my tools, are fitting, even expected for my age group and adds to the old man, no threat image that I cultivate. I would not expect those of younger persuasion to embrace them, although the same concept with younger styling might be acceptable.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    lol

Fashion concessions are made for age. The fashions I wear in addition to providing great cover for my tools, are fitting, even expected for my age group and adds to the old man, no threat image that I cultivate. I would not expect those of younger persuasion to embrace them, although the same concept with younger styling might be acceptable.
    I'm sorry but, old age does NOT excuse "poor" fashion sense. Otherwise, we (and I'm bettin' you and I are about the same age) would all be wearing plaid bermuda shorts, dark knee socks, white/velcro laced shoes, a white belt and THAT freaking shirt you've got on! And please...pleeeeze, don't tell me that you own/wear one of these...

Old guy's hat.gif
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links