Ideal carry physique? - Page 4

Ideal carry physique?

This is a discussion on Ideal carry physique? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I trust that you will be pleased to know that I neither own, nor wear such hats....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Ideal carry physique?

I trust that you will be pleased to know that I neither own, nor wear such hats.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    U da' man, G.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

I have tried IWB and OWB carry with my Ruger SR9c, a wallet holster for my Ruger LCP, an OWB for my Ruger P95. The only one I find comfortable is the wallet holster in the rear pocket for my LCP. I don't have an inside the front pocket holster but I will have to try that for my LCP. I have a small lower body frame and a protruding old man gut, kind of like an upside-down cone. The weight of the P95 is just too much for me to carry on a regular basis, I have to constantly pull my pants up. I have carried the SR9c IWB and OWB. Even though it is lighter and smaller than the P95 it still is not comfortable enough to do all the time. It has a tendency to poke me in the side and sitting is very difficult.

I think the perfect body type would be that which has a hip/butt structure that will support a belt and holster combo so that it doesn't slide down, requiring hiking up the pants continually. It could be IWB or OWB. Everyone has different requirements. I'm afraid its just a matter of experimenting until you find the right set-up for your build. There are always compromises. There is no perfect body type for carrying a firearm.

RKM
    I think being thin you print more but it's more comfortable. I'm 6'1" 175. I carry my Kel-Tec in my front pocket or my preferred method my G30 at 4:30 IWB. I wear t-shirts that fit (large) and I will have minor printing, just couldn't care less about it.

Being in shape and knowing how to fight is more important than carrying a gun.

RKM
    I wouldn't say either is more important than the other. Nothing is everything, everything is something.

Do your fists deflect bullets? Should you shoot somebody during a fist fight? The answer is no to both.

If you're fit then those "relaxed fit" clothes hide the pistol even better.

I got serious about eating, and nutrition and I started working out. I kept a daily log of everything I ate and calories. I the beginning I actually kept a record of blood sugar, blood pressure and calories. For fairly quick weight loss try eating 7 calories for every pound you now weigh. Oh, and read and learn all you can about nutrition. Eat as fresh as possible, cook your own food as much as possible and try not to eat packaged foods. Another trick is to print out the nutrition information for chains and study what you can eat before you go in. It's all about accountability, knowledge and desire.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I trust that you will be pleased to know that I neither own, nor wear such hats.
    Oh, I have a black-colored Fedora hat. But I only wear it with a black colored suit and nothing else. And, I have no feather attached to it.

The video discussed in I'm finally convinced - Glocks are the safest guns on the market. pretty much puts the lie to fat guys not printing

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    The best, if not the ideal, for most people is to weigh what they weighed at age 18. Of course, if one were already obese at 18, that wouldn't work.

RKM
    I'm 6'1" 175. Don't know if that's ideal, but I can preventing printing if I want to. But printing isn't illegal where I live, so I just don't care. I carry a G30 IWB at 4:00. Or a J-frame in right front pocket.

After losing 130lbs, it is much easier to carry and more comfortable to ccw!
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

Arnold Schwarzenegger from back in the terminator days... Then I'd just tote the cop around and deploy the gent as needed...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by HeyMister View Post
    Has an ideal carry physique ever been determined? Have any of you found it easier or more comfortable to carry concealed after losing weight around your waist? It seems to me that broad shoulders and a narrow waist would make it easier to carry because shirts large enought to fit the upper body would fit loosely around the waist area, so it would'nt print as easily.

I'm hoping that losing some weight will help. Belly fat seems to work against carrying because when you tighten your belt it will want to move down, like trying to tighten a belt on the bottom of an egg. On the other hand if your waist is thinner, it would seem that your belt would be wedged above your hips and possibly angle your grip into your body more, making it harder to print. I would think that women with a typical female physique would have an advantage here as long as they don't wear tight-fitting shirts.

Carrying can be another incentive for being in shape. I just turned 50, and it is a real challenge for me to keep fit.

I'd like to hear what you all have learned by your own experience. We spend a lot of money on our gear, but our physique plays a huge role in how we carry.
    What made me go to OWB after carrying IWB was because I was too fat. 20 pounds lighter, I just not for the first time in maybe a year carried IWB (same gun). It's much much better. I still have maybe 5-10 more pounds to go before the holster and pistol stop bumping against my (granted, disappearing!) love handles haha but overall, it is finally bearable.

That said, I've been on OWB so long that the FL weather almost requires it for me. IWB still involves rubbing against skin and is generally tighter so who knows what I'll end up doing.

In terms of "ideal" physique oh how I wish I could carry my Sig 229 (in .40) but I am too short.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links