Ideal carry physique?

This is a discussion on Ideal carry physique? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has an ideal carry physique ever been determined? Have any of you found it easier or more comfortable to carry concealed after losing weight around ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Ideal carry physique?

Ideal carry physique?

Has an ideal carry physique ever been determined? Have any of you found it easier or more comfortable to carry concealed after losing weight around your waist? It seems to me that broad shoulders and a narrow waist would make it easier to carry because shirts large enought to fit the upper body would fit loosely around the waist area, so it would'nt print as easily.

I'm hoping that losing some weight will help. Belly fat seems to work against carrying because when you tighten your belt it will want to move down, like trying to tighten a belt on the bottom of an egg. On the other hand if your waist is thinner, it would seem that your belt would be wedged above your hips and possibly angle your grip into your body more, making it harder to print. I would think that women with a typical female physique would have an advantage here as long as they don't wear tight-fitting shirts.

Carrying can be another incentive for being in shape. I just turned 50, and it is a real challenge for me to keep fit.

I'd like to hear what you all have learned by your own experience. We spend a lot of money on our gear, but our physique plays a huge role in how we carry.

2. Remove Ads

I just know this.

If I lost some weight in my mid-section, it would be easier for me to carry IWB more often.
    Katana, gorilla45 and RoadKill like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I saw an episode of Hardcore Pawn where the gianormously fat security guard named "Robo" lifted his shirt to show bullet wound scares from a previous attack, and there was a Glock (unknown model) tucked into his waistband all nestled in his gooey rolls of goodness. It was like pushing a G.I. Joe gun into your butt-cheek!

So, I'm voting for morbidly obese as the ideal carry physique!
    bigmacque, Eagleks and SGT like this.

I'm a slim dude. 6' 0"/ 170lbs.

Everything I carry except my Bodyguard .380 & Ruger LC9 prints on me while wearing my summer attire.

VIP Member
    You called it accurately. I have a very easy time carrying IWB with a 32 inch waist and 48 inch chest. I was at 33 around the waist when I started carrying. Three o'clock/Nine o'clock work just fine for Glocks, four o'clock/eight o'clock for Kimbers and Kahrs. My pants are all thirty-three/thirty-four inch waists and I have had my belt loops moved to accommodate Brommeland Max-Con V holsters. I normally wear a large T, so all of them I now wear are XLs. I still wear large collared and dress shirts, and always carry with shirts untucked. When I have to wear a suit or dress clothes, I go with the Kahr. I always a wife beater between the gun and skin. In the summer time, shorts and T shirts keep me nicely concealed. I have also lost about ten pounds since I started carrying full-time and yes, it is noticeably more comfortable with less weight around the middle.

Bottom line is you need to be in shape. Your tactical shooting experience and paper punching skills is only a part of the battle. You need to have good cardio to handle the extreme stress, fast movement, adrenaline, and other factors that will be involved in a fight. You also need to have good strength in the case a struggle ensues where you have to disarm and or block and hold a weapon hand all while engaging your weapon. If you are 20+ lbs overweight and are running around for your life, you may not get off the x fast enough, you may slow down, you may fall, you may even have circulation and or heart issues......

You should keep your body in shape with as much attentiveness you give to your self defense tools. Your body is your most important tool.

I don't know if there is an ideal physique for carryin' a concealed weapon... But I think the antis assume we can barely walk upright... knuckledragginbiblethumpinguntotin cretins that we are...
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

VIP Member
    While your physique may effect the style of carry you employ. I don't think there is an ideal physique. It will vary from person to person.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    While your physique may effect the style of carry you employ. I don't think there is an ideal physique. It will vary from person to person.
    I agree. As easy and comfortable as I find my current set-up, it was arrived at through expensive and time-consuming research and experimentation. I have guns I bought to carry which I will NEVER carry and cannot in good conscience even sell to anybody, as well as a drawer full of POS custom and commercial holsters and belts, all of which drew high praise from on-line and in-person evaluators. During the process, I did find out that the kid behind the pistol counter is there to sell product, and that someone out there would swear by a hollowed-out two-by-four wrapped in duct tape as the most comfortable custom holster they ever owned, provided it was sold to them as such. I also found out that one guy at the highly-regarded custom holster-making facility doesn't even know his product line. So it goes.
    wmhawth likes this.

I saw an episode of Hardcore Pawn where the gianormously fat security guard named "Robo" lifted his shirt to show bullet wound scares from a previous attack, and there was a Glock (unknown model) tucked into his waistband all nestled in his gooey rolls of goodness. It was like pushing a G.I. Joe gun into your butt-cheek!
    That's hilarious - and a little sad.

I wear the gun... The gun dosent wear me. It's just another tool. The gun compliments me... I dont compliment the gun.

With the large variety in sizes of handguns available, combined with the large variety of carry options, I would not say that there is not a sole ideal physique for carrying. Anybody can effectively carry, it is just a matter of the correct combination of handgun and holster.
    McDonaldUSMC likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerRon View Post

So, I'm voting for morbidly obese as the ideal carry physique!
    Geez, I'm laughing out loud again. We should develop a humor award for this board.

As for physique, I can't wait until I lose 30 pounds and can report back to you.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyMister View Post
    I'd like to hear what you all have learned by your own experience. We spend a lot of money on our gear, but our physique plays a huge role in how we carry.
    Statistically, losing weight, getting in shape, eating right, and quitting smoking (if one is a smoker), will do more for your life expectancy than packing a gun.

Fitch
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

Ideal?

It's kind of like asking whats the ideal gun? Its different for everyone. No matter what your body type you generally have to find a way to make a gun work for you for CC. I have a slight gut and no hips or butt. So I can't carry IWB with a full sized pistol comfortably all day. But that affords me the ability to comfortably carry a full sized pistol in a Smart Carry. So...for those who want to carry a 1911 and maintain very discreet and deep concealment...I have an ideal physique.

They only ideal physique would be to be SOO big and scary NO ONE would ever try to harm you and then you wouldnt need a gun. Thats ideal. Any body made of flesh that can be harmed will always be less than ideal.

In that vein, Im kind of a big guy and I guess probably scary to some. I've often been concerned with the notion that if someone tries to hurt me, they are past the point of trying to find an easy target that can just push down and take milk money from. IE, if someone attacks me, they mean business or are so out of it they are really going to be a serious threat. In that regard, being a little smaller might be more ideal.

Alex
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links