Permit in wallet?

This is a discussion on Permit in wallet? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry my permit in my wallet next to my DL. It just occurred to me that if a BG demanded my wallet and I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Permit in wallet?

Permit in wallet?

I carry my permit in my wallet next to my DL. It just occurred to me that if a BG demanded my wallet and I chose to comply, if he took the time to check out it's contents before running (say he had me at gunpoint), the permit might cause an escalation or ruin the surprise if I chose to draw.

I have never been robbed, so maybe they all just grab and run and it's mute point (except that now I have to get a new DL and CWP).

So, CWP/DL in wallet or pocket?

2. Remove Ads

I think you're over-thinking the situation. The guy holding you up at gunpoint isn't checking your papers to see who you are, he (she) wants your stuff and wants it now. They'll take it and go through it later in a safer environment.

Might be a different story, though, if you pin one of those nifty CCW badges to the outside of your wallet...

(PS: I think you meant moot point, pronounced like "loot".)
    357and40 and TN_Mike like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Some folks use a throw away wallet with a few bucks and some dummy cards in it. When the demand arrives they handover this and are only out a few dollars.

Personally, I don't go for that. Too much trouble. I just keep photo copies in various places, home, cars, office.
    tcon67 likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Some folks use a through away wallet with a few bucks and some dummy cards in it. When the demand arrives they handover this and are only out a few dollars.

Personally, I don't go for that. Too much trouble. I just keep photo copies in various places, home, cars, office.
    great advice there, I scan my ccw/dl and make several copies, one is with my registration and insurance card in the truck, one at home and I also email myself a copy and keep in the archives. that way i can retrieve them from any computer. i also have each one of my guns description and serial number saved on the puter with a copy sent to email. If Im ever disarmed I can get the ser.# quickly for the LEO's.
    DontTreadOnI, SGT and RIRdKng like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Keep it in your purse.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by macg19 View Post
    I carry my permit in my wallet next to my DL.
    I like to keep my permit in a different part of my wallet then my DL. There is no need to expose a CCW unnecessarily when I'm ID'd by a retail clerk or TSA security at an airport. I remember a thread awhile back regarding a women in line behind a guy who exposed his CCW when ID'd and she freaked out and yelling "This man has a gun!".

VIP Member
    I keep mine in my wallet. As others have mentioned, the BG isn't going to take the time or risk of standing there with a gun in hand while he checks the content of his "score". That will take place when he's in the safety of his hole.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

(PS: I think you meant moot point, pronounced like "loot".)
    Damn, I should know better, thanks for the correction!

I like the scanning advice, copy of serial numbers and putting the CWP in a different part of the wallet. Will do this after I hit the post button.

And gasmitty is right, I am over thinking it.
    oneshot likes this.

I had a credit card insert that I took out of my wallet and put my permit and DL in that and put it in the rear pocket opposite my wallet.

The issuing detective mentioned that IF it was seen by a BG, it does have the sheriffs symbol on it and that may make them think you are somehow associated. As others have said they generally wont check your "papers" but IMO this also means I will prob still have my license and permit if I get jacked.

BigJon

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I keep my Permit/DL separate from my wallet; opposite pocket. My wallet also happens to be on the same side as my .357.

"Give me your wallet!"
    "Ok" BANGBANG
    *Call police*

"Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I keep mine in my wallet. As others have mentioned, the BG isn't going to take the time or risk of standing there with a gun in hand while he checks the content of his "score". That will take place when he's in the safety of his hole.
    One thing to consider is that when he looks through your wallet in the safety of his lair he now has your address and knows you have guns. That can either be good or bad, either he heeds the warning or thinks he can make a good score.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Here, you want to really over think this?

1. Purchase a Big Skinny™ wallet.
      yhst-94975210642937_2176_41754145.gif
    2. Put that with all your cash and cards and stuff in your front pocket.
    3. Purchase a pocket .380 and a wallet holster like the Recluse or the Pocket Pal.
      PlusSquareHolster2.jpg image-keltec-212x159.jpg
    4. Carry the gun and holster in your back wallet pocket, strong side.

When you reach for the wallet to give to the BG, you are reaching for your gun... When you are "presenting" the wallet, you are coming on target. When the BG sees the gun, he runs away... maybe.

Links:

Big Skinny --- Recluse Holsters --- Pocket Pal

Many people don't like the pocket pal because the trigger is exposed. But If I were carrying one, there wouldn't be anything else in the pocket to inadvertently get into the trigger area. Once I reach into that pocket, my finger wouldn't be on the trigger until it comes out and is on target.
    tcon67 and baren like this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Distinguished Member
    I carry it in my wallet, which goes into my purse or backpack.

About once a year, I lay down all my cards onto a copy machine and make about two pages of all the stuff I have in there, including account numbers. I do a front side, then a back side, as the back side has all the "if lost call this number" kind of stuff. I keep these sheets with me when I travel as well, and I have a copy at home. I figure this will also help me remember what was in the wallet, if it becomes gone.

cg
    tcon67 and BadgerJ like this.

Thank you for the photo copy email advice.

Btw I am also buying another recluse for back pocket carry that also carries that extra mag for my bodyguard .380.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links