Road Rage and my LC9 - Page 2

Road Rage and my LC9

This is a discussion on Road Rage and my LC9 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Holy crap Batman! OP, you handled a highly volatile situation in a cool and collected manner. I'm bettin' you were literally shaking a bit after ...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Road Rage and my LC9

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Holy crap Batman! OP, you handled a highly volatile situation in a cool and collected manner. I'm bettin' you were literally shaking a bit after this was over.

I see A LOT of "aggressive" and inattentive driving in and around the city. When it happens or is directed at me, my first inclination is to stay emotionally neutral, especially if I'm on my (1520cc) "scooter". If "birds" are flipped at me or yelling occurs, I pretend to not see or hear, make no eye contact or even turn my head at them to stare. By second nature, I'm always assessing/looking for my (Plan B) escape route if I need to take it in a moment's notice.

We all need to keep in mind that a vehicle may be deemed to be a deadly weapon too.

Good job, dude.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Quote Originally Posted by zonzin View Post
    OP said this: "I couldn't get a plate number, because he was missing his rear plate, but I did call the local Sheriff Office and inform them of the time and location of the incident,..."

This brings up the question though,, could the dork in the Caddy claim you brandished at him? Couldn't this get you in a heap of trouble by pulling the weapon when there was no immidiate threat to your like? Just askin'.

1. He could not retreat. dumb ass in front of him and vehicle behind him.

2. Driver flung door open and came at him in a threatning demeanor.

If it were me, I'd be scared enough for my life.
    Last edited by SIXTO; October 5th, 2011 at 12:01 AM.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    OP said this: "I couldn't get a plate number, because he was missing his rear plate, but I did call the local Sheriff Office and inform them of the time and location of the incident,..."

This brings up the question though,, could the dork in the Caddy claim you brandished at him? Couldn't this get you in a heap of trouble by pulling the weapon when there was no immidiate threat to your like? Just askin'.
    Two comments:
    1. IMO he did the exact right thing calling it in, hopefully immediately - seconds may count. The police often develop their mindset/attitude about the incident based on the first call they get because it sets the tone of their response.
    2. IMO there was a definite threat - the language used by the RRD probably constituted assault. The road rage driver (RRD) escalated the incident, driving agressively to get in front, assaulted him with his car backing up to the point he was trapped (couldn't drive away - reduced the victim's response options), exited his car, approached and started pounding on the window of the victim's car. The victim prepares to respond to the situation that will happen if the window breaks by drawing his weapon. Seeing the weapon was enough to cause the RRD to back off.

My opinion: I don't see anything wrong with that. There was no excessive force. Just enough demonstration of capability to respond to ward off the attack. Waiting till the guy breaks the window before getting prepared to respond doesn't leave enough time to avoid grievious injury from assault - and the only path available after the guy starts hitting you with you trapped in the car and relatively defensless would be to shoot - a much less desirable outcome than what happened.

Getting out of the car to meet the RRD would have been a huge mistake.

Going over this scenario in my mind, other than as was commented, barely opening the window just enough to be heard is the only improvement I can think of for the response, and as it was, it worked. Both parties left with out physical injury or property damage.

I've known a couple of people with serious anger management/roadrage issues. Sooner or later if the RRD who drove off doesn't get professional help, he will have an incident that doesn't end well. Hopefully he doesn't end up causing serious injury to anybody but himself. People with serious roadrage issues need to get professional help before they end up doing something tragic.

Fitch
    Last edited by SIXTO; October 5th, 2011 at 12:01 AM.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    Well done. You didn't panic, you didn't over react, and you immediately reported the incident.

Fitch
    Very well done

I don't know about other states, but no brandishing charges in KY. with this case. In Ky. to be justifiable to use lethal force, threat only has to be a PERCEIVED threat to ones own life. The way this guy acted he would have been lucky to be breathing now.
    Last edited by SIXTO; October 5th, 2011 at 12:02 AM.

If he backed his vehicle into your bumper at the red light, and then left the scene. That sure looks and sounds like a hit and run to me.... My move would have been to call the authorities and follow him at a safe distance until they can make the stop... That punk needs to be stopped before he hurts someone.. JMO
    SigHawk likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

@Porp:
    Tramway and Spain, Northbound

@Others:
    -Good point about rolling the window down. A crack would probably be better.
    -NM does have 'castle law'. You are allowed to carry, concealed, in home and vehicle. And technically, his behavior was an assault against my property: slamming into it with his car, slamming on my window, trying to break in. That, to me, clearly defines a threat, and a mentally unstable aggressor. I had no way to escape the situation, other than get out of my car, which would cause major problems.
    -And you guys are right about following him. I was just nervous/shaken up (literally shaking from adrenalin dump after-affects) and wanted to get home and away from the psycho.

As I have said in similar threads, I have found myself to be more patient since I have started carrying. The last place any one of us would want to be is in a courtroom being asked, "so, since you carrying a firearm, why did you escalate the situation"?
    helderberg and MadMac like this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    "so, since you carrying a firearm, why did you escalate the situation"?
    The other guy escalated once he committed vehicular assault and walked to the mans window banging on the glass. The OP stayed in his car, windows up and doors locked. Hell, he is all BUT retreating.

yes the other guy could make that claim. that is why it is important that you make the first call to 911, usually the first one to call gets listened to first
    Last edited by SIXTO; October 5th, 2011 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    yes the other guy could make that claim. that is why it is important that you make the first call to 911, usually the first one to call gets listened to first
    I keep seeing this. Just because you are first to call or be listened to does not mean that your statement will be considered the most credible.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

MP9, Dirtbags always cuss at you when you point a gun at them or stand up to them. It is there way of saving face. Then they uaually leave in a hurry.
    Semper Fi

Florida just put a guy in Jail for this exact type incident. Guy got out of his car and came up to the window and punched the driver. Driver shot the punchee once through the window. Shooter was not charged, and the punchee gets a year in jail.

Had the OP NOT displayed his weapon, this would have escalated to the Escalade driver attempting to do bodily harm to the OP. I would say that there was no brandishing in this case, but rather a good
    case of pure common sense that probably saved the Escalade drivers life.
    helderberg likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

As I have said in similar threads, I have found myself to be more patient since I have started carrying. The last place any one of us would want to be is in a courtroom being asked, "so, since you carrying a firearm, why did you escalate the situation"?
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    The other guy escalated once he committed vehicular assault and walked to the mans window banging on the glass. The OP stayed in his car, windows up and doors locked. Hell, he is all BUT retreating.
    I'm sorry, I was meaning the response to being flipped off or cut off, horn blowing, cursing situations. Which I have so far been able to let slide.

I too think the OP responded well in this situation. I hope I could keep my head clear like he did.

"Sir, get back in your car or I will be forced to shoot."

Not sure if I could refer to this type of jerk as sir.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

I too think the OP responded well in this situation. I hope I could keep my head clear like he did.

"Sir, get back in your car or I will be forced to shoot."
    Yea, I would have likely used a different vernacular.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links