Road Rage and my LC9

This is a discussion on Road Rage and my LC9 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Guantes I keep seeing this. Just because you are first to call or be listened to does not mean that your statement ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Road Rage and my LC9

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I keep seeing this. Just because you are first to call or be listened to does not mean that your statement will be considered the most credible.
    ok don't make the call, let us know how it works out for you

2. Remove Ads

I agree!
    Quote Originally Posted by Georro View Post
    My only comment would be to avoid rolling your window down in such a situation. Crack it enough so that he can hear your command but not enough that he can reach through and grab you or your weapon. Other than that, I'd say good job! Keep an eye on your six for a few weeks in case this oxygen thief recognizes you and decides he wants round two.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    ok don't make the call, let us know how it works out for you
    No mention was made of not calling, just that being the first to call was no guarantee of anything.
    ppkheat, Old School and TVJ like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    I had an extremely scary/near-violent event yesterday, that made me thank God I carry either my LC9 (which I had on me) and/or MP9 at all times in my vehicle. Details below.

I was driving home after work, on a road where the speed limit is 45 MPH. I was stopped at a red light, waiting it for it to turn green. When it finally did turn,I accelerated, slowly, to get up to speed (I drive an SUV, and am not a fan of wasting gas and $$$ by doing the "Jack Rabbit start" from a red light). I was going about 35, maybe 50 yards past the intersection, when I see a huge Cadillac Escalade come flying up behind me; he saw the light turn green from a distance and did not slow down, not taking into account the fact that the light had just turned green and that I would need a little time to accelerate up to speed. Anyway, he kept on coming, then at the last second, slams on his brakes and serves into the grassy median. Then he yanks his car back onto the road, cuts in front of a car in the other lane, floors it, and then serves right over in front of me without using his blinker. Then he slams on the brakes, to try to "Brake Check" me. Luckily, I had anticipated this guy might not be sane, and had already slowed down when I saw him trying to pass me. So I think, "Ok, all is good, he's in front of me. Problem solved right?"

WRONG! At the next light, he backs up into me, putting his rear bumper against mine. So I back up, but he keeps coming, and pins me between him and the car behind me. At this point, I had my hand under my seat (I have a seat holster made by DeSanti, called "the kingston") and gripped my LC9. He flings open his car door, and stomps back to my car. He pounds on the window and starts yelling. I then pulled my LC9, pointed it at him, rolled down my window and calmly said "Sir, get back in your car or I will be forced to shoot." He said some expletives but got back in his car, and turned when the light turned green.

I sincerely think that without my handgun, this guy would have attempted something crazy. I was sure glad I had it.

I couldn't get a plate number, because he was missing his rear plate, but I did call the local Sheriff Office and inform them of the time and location of the incident, and the make and model of the car. I noticed that the intersection had red light cameras, so hopefully that recorded the incident and they can find the perp. I'd be happy to testify in court against him!

Scary!!!!!!
    VERY WELL DONE!!! You should be very proud of the way you handled every bit of that encounter. This is exactly the reason why we all carry!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

When you called did you tell them that you pointed a handgun at the Guy and he left? If you left that part out it might look as you felt you did something wrong should the other Guy decide to call it in himself.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

If you were in NY you would be going to jail for this. Unless he was pointing a gun or pulling a knife and he was within striking distance and no way for you to retreat, you'd be sitting in jail, which is total BS! Guess your glad you live in a state that allows you to defend yourself before your life is in immediate danger. Good job! ( I may do the same in your situation but would be hesitant to report it since I don't want to take a crap for the next 10 years in the middle if a cell)
    MadMac likes this.

I agree with the last couple of posters. Unlike the guns-solve-all-problems cheerleaders here, I'll say that I didn't see anything in your story that would compel me to brandish a firearm.

I am sitting in a 2000 lb. weapon. They are on foot and have not displayed a weapon. I win.

.. but that's just me.
    Last edited by SIXTO; October 5th, 2011 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I agree with the last couple of posters. Unlike the guns-solve-all-problems cheerleaders here, I'll say that I didn't see anything in your story that would compel me to brandish a firearm.

A-holes in cars are just a-holes in cars. I am sitting in a 2000 lb. weapon. They are on foot and have not displayed a weapon. I win.

.. but that's just me.
    your 2 ton weapon is useless if it is pinned between other cars, or did you miss that part of the story? In many states a weapon does not have to be displayed, he attempted to invade your castle (car) and as long as you can articulate a fear for your life you can brandish and use your weapon to end that threat
    Tzadik, msgt/ret and baren like this.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    your 2 ton weapon is useless if it is pinned between other cars, or did you miss that part of the story? In many states a weapon does not have to be displayed, he attempted to invade your castle (car) and as long as you can articulate a fear for your life you can brandish and use your weapon to end that threat
    Thanks for the snark, but I didn't miss that part. If he has an SUV (or did you miss that part?), he should be able to blast into the car behind and ahead to leave the scene if he feels his life is threatened. He didn't mention if he had tried that. I would have blasted into a couple vehicles had I thought my life was threatened. What is some bozo going to do to you without a firearm if you are safely locked in your car? Why not call 911 as he is exiting his car?

Sure, I'd have my gun handy, but drawing down on some loudmouthed boob is a bit too potentially lethal IN MY OPINION. If he's not ready to pull the trigger, then it's just brandishing.

Personally, I like to avoid trials and potential jail time. ....but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post

A-holes in cars are just a-holes in cars. I am sitting in a 2000 lb. weapon. They are on foot and have not displayed a weapon. I win.

.. but that's just me.
    Reread the OP's post Mac. He was in a 2000 lb weapon that was PINNED between to other multi ton weapons, one of which was the aggressors.

We aren't "guns-solve-all-problems cheerleaders" bud. If you have not been in this situation, and you obviously have not or didn't learn anything from it if you have, then I suggest you are just being naive. He could not move his vehicle as it was pinned between two cars, at least not without endangering the safety of the person(s) in the car behind him.

And a nut, who did what the OP described with his multi-ton weapon, standing at his drivers door pounding on the glass has already proven himself to be a danger. The OP handled it well. I doubt you would have come out of the encounter without being injured from the way you insinuate you would have handled it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Reread the OP's post Mac. He was in a 2000 lb weapon that was PINNED between to other multi ton weapons, one of which was the aggressors.

We aren't "guns-solve-all-problems cheerleaders" bud. If you have not been in this situation, and you obviously have not or didn't learn anything from it if you have, then I suggest you are just being naive. He could not move his vehicle as it was pinned between two cars, at least not without endangering the safety of the person(s) in the car behind him.

And a nut, who did what the OP described with his multi-ton weapon, standing at his drivers door pounding on the glass has already proven himself to be a danger. The OP handled it well. I doubt you would have come out of the encounter without being injured from the way you insinuate you would have handled it.
    According to the OP he was driving an SUV. According to him, he made no attempt to "up-pin" himself with his vehicle. Personally, I'll play demolition derby all day before bringing my firearm into play unless there is something other than "pounding on glass" to threaten me. I don't pee my Depends(tm) over some whackadoodle pounding on my window.

Quote Originally Posted by zonzin View Post
    OP said this: "I couldn't get a plate number, because he was missing his rear plate, but I did call the local Sheriff Office and inform them of the time and location of the incident,..."

This brings up the question though,, could the a$$hat in the Caddy claim you brandished at him? Couldn't this get you in a heap of trouble by pulling the weapon when there was no immidiate threat to your like? Just askin'.

If that was me, I totally consider that an imminent threat of gross bodily harm, if not death. As he mentioned, the guy had him pinned between 2 cars so he couldnt even retreat or use his 'other lethal weapon'....his vehicle.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    If that was me, I totally consider that an imminent threat of gross bodily harm, if not death. As he mentioned, the guy had him pinned between 2 cars so he couldnt even retreat or use his 'other lethal weapon'....his vehicle.
    Understood. Then simply shoot the guy in the head. Why waste the time/effort trying to scare him off? If banging on your car window to you is a threat of grave bodily harm or imminent death, just shoot the miscreant between the eyes and be done with it. Let the jury decide.

Let me know how it works out.

Were it me, I'd at least like to prove I TRIED to extricate myself by ramming a couple cars as a minimum. Going for lethal force (my gun) when all I have is an enraged loon shouting and banging on my window is weak sauce for a jury, IMHO.

VIP Member
    Ya did good. Along with Castle Doctrine, defense of property, and Stand Your Ground statutes, some states have laws that permit the defensive display of a gun. According to Lott, of the 2 1/2 million defensive uses of a firearm that occur each year, seldom is the gun fired. You have to know how far your jurisdiction will let you go. If 911 is recording the audio, use the word "Sir" and "Please." "Please get away from my car." "Don't break my window, sir." And put it on them. "Don't make me shoot you."

I probably wouldn't have backed up in order to leave a little room behind. I might have called in the dangerously aggressive driving the minute I noticed it. The cell phone camera might have been interesting to view. All in all, ya did good.
    TN_Mike, baren and BadgerJ like this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I still think the OP handled it very well. Apparently, you think he didn't do enough to get out of there. Playing demolition derby, to me seems like a stupid way of handling it. He's already being threatened by the nut, why endanger the person, possibly a woman and child or children, behind him by bashing his vehicle into them to try to extricate himself from the situation.

I'm not sure you really 100% understand the scenario the OP laid out Mac, and if you do, then I don't think I'd want to be anywhere near you if you were in a similar situation because as far as I can tell, you'd be of the opinion "to hell with anyone else as long as you made it out ok". That seems pretty self centered to me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links