Road Rage and my LC9

This is a discussion on Road Rage and my LC9 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Interesting points made. The only thing I will add is this...once the jerk in front backed his car into me, I would consider that assault. ...

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Road Rage and my LC9

Interesting points made.

The only thing I will add is this...once the jerk in front backed his car into me, I would consider that assault. I would assume he had a weapon, and I would have exited my vehicle immediately, and taken cover wherever available. Forget whether or not to draw - or whether or not to try to ram your way out of there (he is too close, and that would take too long) - or whether to go to your gun or to your OC spray. GET OUT OF THE TRAP - NOW.

If he had gotten out of his vehicle with a gun, the LAST place I would want to be is boxed inside my (unarmored) vehicle, with nowhere to go. I would much rather be outside, where I can move and seek cover.

Something to consider - I usually keep my briefcase on the seat next to me. Inside, is a Level III ballistic insert. It will stop any common handgun round. If I cannot get out of the vehicle in time, I can grab it and throw it up against the side window. This allows time to drive away, or deploy my own sidearm. They don't cost all that much - got mine from BulletProofME.com Body Armor / Bullet proof Vests. You can put one in a backpack, diaper bag, etc. Just think about it.
    tcon67, Bark'n and gottabkiddin like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    For me, taking a life is something I'm going to do my best to avoid. Especially if the aggressor is otherwise, unarmed. I'm not afraid to have someone lay their hands on me while I attempt other options if I can keep from killing them.
    I think that's great, esp the avoidance of loss of life, however ALL my SD plans involve me taking action BEFORE anyone lays hands on me. Because I am not prepared to defend myself hand-to-hand against a larger male....or smaller one. Or most women. I desire to take training on that, esp. more gun retention but it hasnt been possible yet.

Once someone has their hands on me, they will have advantage, despite some basic SD skills I have. So I have developed my plans around avoidance and deterrance...and the cell phone/pics and my firearm are exactly that... and more if necessary.

In this scenario, the OC spray wouldnt be a good option for me, as I described earlier. I will not exit my vehicle to confront an aggressor. I might get out and put the vehicle(s) between us, as someone else recently mentioned. When they described it, the presumption was that the chase and confinement were signs of true lethal intent and they werent going to be trapped in their vehicle...period. That is worth considering, I think.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

B94
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    The OP survived unhurt. Good on him.

So here I am driving down the road and an aggessive driver starts to breakcheck me and at the next traffic light backs up into my vehicle and pins me in between his vehicle and a vehicle behind me.

Am I being set up to get carjacked ?

He then exits his vehicle and in an aggressive and angry manner comes back to my vehicle and begins to physically strike my closed window with his fist.

Is he trying to break out my window to gain access to me inside my vehicle ?

I have never seen this individual before today.

I DO NOT KNOW IF HE IS ARMED.

DOES HE HAVE A GUN CONCEALED ON HIM ?

I DO NOT WISH TO WAIT AND SEE !

My window remains up and he is now looking at the muzzle of my Glock 23.

The ball is in his court now.

OS
    He returns to his vehicle and retrieves a rifle and starts shooting, you die. Or he leaves, you live.

I believe it would be better not to show your weapon until time to pull the trigger.

Your choice.
    PRO-SECOND AMENDMENT - Live Free or Die

Good thread. As a new CCW holder, I'm just taking it all in, learning from the OP as well as some of the responses, and formulating a plan of action in my head, should a similar incident occur to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Something to consider - I usually keep my briefcase on the seat next to me. Inside, is a Level III ballistic insert. It will stop any common handgun round. If I cannot get out of the vehicle in time, I can grab it and throw it up against the side window. This allows time to drive away, or deploy my own sidearm. They don't cost all that much - got mine from BulletProofME.com Body Armor / Bullet proof Vests. You can put one in a backpack, diaper bag, etc. Just think about it.

That's a awesome idea.... I carry a briefcase daily (during the week that is), but I have never thought of that. Again great idea. Thanks for the idea & link.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Interesting points made.

The only thing I will add is this...once the jerk in front backed his car into me, I would consider that assault. I would assume he had a weapon, and I would have exited my vehicle immediately, and taken cover wherever available. Forget whether or not to draw - or whether or not to try to ram your way out of there (he is too close, and that would take too long) - or whether to go to your gun or to your OC spray. GET OUT OF THE TRAP - NOW.

If he had gotten out of his vehicle with a gun, the LAST place I would want to be is boxed inside my (unarmored) vehicle, with nowhere to go. I would much rather be outside, where I can move and seek cover.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    That's a awesome idea.... I carry a briefcase daily (during the week that is), but I have never thought of that. Again great idea. Thanks for the idea & link.
    Good idea, yet half your torso and legs are completely unprotected. Two layers of 18ga sheet metal door skin and 1/8th" layer of plastic door panel is not going to slow an incoming round sufficiently to help you. You also now have one hand/arm dedicated to a task while the rest of you has to do what needs to be done to escape.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Good idea, yet half your torso and legs are completely unprotected. Two layers of 18ga sheet metal door skin and 1/8th" layer of plastic door panel is not going to slow an incoming round sufficiently to help you. You also now have one hand/arm dedicated to a task while the rest of you has to do what needs to be done to escape.
    This is true, but I think it beats the alternative. A briefcase is large enough to cover your vitals, and large enough to cover your side window. Once in place, you can keep it there with your shoulder, if you need two hands. You should, hopefully, also be practicing using your sidearm one-handed. And if you are like most Americans, you should be used to driving one-handed anyway, since your other hand is busy with such important tasks as drinking coffee, shaving, texting, and the like...
    Bark'n likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

You did exactly what would be expected to protect yourself.
    Pinning in your car was the escalation you were defending yourself from...he came up to the window and went even further.
    At that point, you could have defended yourself in whatever means would have kept you from his potentially lethal threats...IMHO
    tcon67 and Bark'n like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Pinning in your car was the escalation you were defending yourself from...he came up to the window and went even further.
    At that point, you could have defended yourself in whatever means would have kept you from his potentially lethal threats...IMHO
    Bravo !!!! 'Nough said!!!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    It's fun discussing these scenarios, but I would caution everyone here that none of us are going to come flocking to your side to help if you make the wrong call. Posters here live all around the country in a stunning variety of jurisdictions. Only a couple are actual lawyers. You're hearing opinions.

Only you can ultimately decide if the circumstances meet your criteria for using lethal force. Sadly, you'll only have seconds (if that) to decide. Your entire future, emotional well-being, and your freedom will ride on the decision you make at that instant. Your defense won't be "some guy on the intertubez said it was OK to use my gun!"

Quote Originally Posted by B94 View Post
    He returns to his vehicle and retrieves a rifle and starts shooting, you die. Or he leaves, you live.

I believe it would be better not to show your weapon until time to pull the trigger.

Your choice.
    This could happen whether or not you show our weapon.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

B94
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    This could happen whether or not you show our weapon.
    True but you give up the element of surprise when you show your weapon early and take the chance that displaying your weapon might escalate things.
    PRO-SECOND AMENDMENT - Live Free or Die

That is a possibility that should be considered.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

There are a lot of possibilities here, and one would have to be IN THAT SCENARIO to really know how to react.
    I would hope no one would take things here as the advice to 'move ahead'...only to read and absorb the knowledge, and the possible reactions as food for thought.
    Of the many years spent and thousands of posts I have read here...none have ever made me feel like it was the authority to 'act', but I have gained lots of insight by reading scenarios, dirtbag news articles, and the thoughts and possible reactions by many of the members here.
    There is a wealth of knowledge and life experience within these many threads that are meant to be used as a reference point for one's one decision making. I continue to read and learn EVERY day!
    rably likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thank God you had your protection with you.
    Jerry

NRA Life Member

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Links