Road Rage and my LC9

This is a discussion on Road Rage and my LC9 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had an extremely scary/near-violent event yesterday, that made me thank God I carry either my LC9 (which I had on me) and/or MP9 at ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Road Rage and my LC9

Exclamation Road Rage and my LC9

I had an extremely scary/near-violent event yesterday, that made me thank God I carry either my LC9 (which I had on me) and/or MP9 at all times in my vehicle. Details below.

I was driving home after work, on a road where the speed limit is 45 MPH. I was stopped at a red light, waiting it for it to turn green. When it finally did turn,I accelerated, slowly, to get up to speed (I drive an SUV, and am not a fan of wasting gas and $$$ by doing the "Jack Rabbit start" from a red light). I was going about 35, maybe 50 yards past the intersection, when I see a huge Cadillac Escalade come flying up behind me; he saw the light turn green from a distance and did not slow down, not taking into account the fact that the light had just turned green and that I would need a little time to accelerate up to speed. Anyway, he kept on coming, then at the last second, slams on his brakes and serves into the grassy median. Then he yanks his car back onto the road, cuts in front of a car in the other lane, floors it, and then serves right over in front of me without using his blinker. Then he slams on the brakes, to try to "Brake Check" me. Luckily, I had anticipated this guy might not be sane, and had already slowed down when I saw him trying to pass me. So I think, "Ok, all is good, he's in front of me. Problem solved right?"

WRONG! At the next light, he backs up into me, putting his rear bumper against mine. So I back up, but he keeps coming, and pins me between him and the car behind me. At this point, I had my hand under my seat (I have a seat holster made by DeSanti, called "the kingston") and gripped my LC9. He flings open his car door, and stomps back to my car. He pounds on the window and starts yelling. I then pulled my LC9, pointed it at him, rolled down my window and calmly said "Sir, get back in your car or I will be forced to shoot." He said some expletives but got back in his car, and turned when the light turned green.

I sincerely think that without my handgun, this guy would have attempted something crazy. I was sure glad I had it.

I couldn't get a plate number, because he was missing his rear plate, but I did call the local Sheriff Office and inform them of the time and location of the incident, and the make and model of the car. I noticed that the intersection had red light cameras, so hopefully that recorded the incident and they can find the perp. I'd be happy to testify in court against him!

Scary!!!!!!
    Last edited by limatunes; September 30th, 2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: language
    slave, Tzadik and jerry12 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    I had an extremely scary/near-violent event yesterday, that made me thank God I carry either my LC9 (which I had on me) and/or MP9 at all times in my vehicle. Details below.

I was driving home after work, on a road where the speed limit is 45 MPH. I was stopped at a red light, waiting it for it to turn green. When it finally did turn,I accelerated, slowly, to get up to speed (I drive an SUV, and am not a fan of wasting gas and $$$ by doing the "Jack Rabbit start" from a red light). I was going about 35, maybe 50 yards past the intersection, when I see a huge Cadillac Escalade come flying up behind me; he saw the light turn green from a distance and did not slow down, not taking into account the fact that the light had just turned green and that I would need a little time to accelerate up to speed. Anyway, he kept on coming, then at the last second, slams on his brakes and serves into the grassy median. Then he yanks his car back onto the road, cuts in front of a car in the other lane, floors it, and then serves right over in front of me without using his blinker. Then he slams on the brakes, to try to "Brake Check" me. Luckily, I had anticipated this guy might not be sane, and had already slowed down when I saw him trying to pass me. So I think, "Ok, all is good, he's in front of me. Problem solved right?"

WRONG! At the next light, he backs up into me, putting his rear bumper against mine. So I back up, but he keeps coming, and pins me between him and the car behind me. At this point, I had my hand under my seat (I have a seat holster made by DeSanti, called "the kingston") and gripped my LC9. He flings open his car door, and stomps back to my car. He pounds on the window and starts yelling. I then pulled my LC9, pointed it at him, rolled down my window and calmly said "Sir, get back in your car or I will be forced to shoot." He said some expletives but got back in his car, and turned when the light turned green.

I sincerely think that without my handgun, this guy would have attempted something crazy. I was sure glad I had it.

I couldn't get a plate number, because he was missing his rear plate, but I did call the local Sheriff Office and inform them of the time and location of the incident, and the make and model of the car. I noticed that the intersection had red light cameras, so hopefully that recorded the incident and they can find the perp. I'd be happy to testify in court against him!

Scary!!!!!!
    And THIS is why we all carry. You did an excellent job...Excellent.
    Last edited by limatunes; September 30th, 2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: language quote
    SGT and baren like this.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Well done. You didn't panic, you didn't over react, and you immediately reported the incident.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

What intersection was this?

Well done! This is exactly the type of thing I worry about. Goodness knows what people with road rage will do. Glad ot ended well.

BigJon

My only comment would be to avoid rolling your window down in such a situation. Crack it enough so that he can hear your command but not enough that he can reach through and grab you or your weapon. Other than that, I'd say good job! Keep an eye on your six for a few weeks in case this oxygen thief recognizes you and decides he wants round two.
    Bark'n and Chaplain Scott like this.
    Concealed means concealed, even in conversation.

In Connecticut I would have been forced to retreat to the back seat of the vehicle....
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWFD View Post
    In Connecticut I would have been forced to retreat to the back seat of the vehicle....
    That is sad. It's like lawmakers themselves don't think about this happening to THEM.

If it had been in Alabama, if the window breaks, it's on.
    Guest1, RugerRon, baren and 1 others like this.

Glad it all worked out.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

did you get a license plate and call that one in? Wow, glad it went well for yas man.

Sounds like you did fine.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Peoples Protectorate of Kaliforniya, gulag NorCal
    Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    did you get a license plate and call that one in? Wow, glad it went well for yas man.

OP said this: "I couldn't get a plate number, because he was missing his rear plate, but I did call the local Sheriff Office and inform them of the time and location of the incident,..."

This brings up the question though,, could the dork in the Caddy claim you brandished at him? Couldn't this get you in a heap of trouble by pulling the weapon when there was no immidiate threat to your like? Just askin'.

Last edited by SIXTO; October 4th, 2011 at 11:59 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - Second Amendment T-Shirts

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ - Go Greek. Lifetime member Kappa Kappa Bang (KKB) Fraternity

Sounds like you did Fine, I'm glad it worked out for you, be armed and be safe.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I know the police do use those red light cameras for other purposes, after the fact. It will be interesting if they do that here and what they may find out.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zonzin View Post
    OP said this: "I couldn't get a plate number, because he was missing his rear plate, but I did call the local Sheriff Office and inform them of the time and location of the incident,..."

This brings up the question though,, could the dork in the Caddy claim you brandished at him? Couldn't this get you in a heap of trouble by pulling the weapon when there was no immidiate threat to your like? Just askin'.
    He probably could and in general terms this is one of the reasons to report the incident and report it quickly as often times the 1st caller is considered to be the victim. However, in this particular case, with the aggressor being outside of his vehicle on the roadway and having pinned another vehicle in behind a potential witness, it would be bit of a stretch to claim brandishing, at least as the term was meant to be applied. If NM has castle law, it probably included vehicles and / or places where you are legitimately allowed to be such your place of business. Even without, it would be a reasonable claim that the aggressor was attempting to force entry into the vehicle and that the OP had no ability to even attempt further retreat. Without castle doctrine, had the OP fired on the aggressor, the claim of SD may be a bit more nebulous unless the assailant displayed a weapon or provided some other disparity of force. Displaying the weapon, accompanied with a verbal warning also shows capability and intention to protect oneself and if an assailant continues to attack into that, it would be a good assumption that they believe that they are capable of handling and countering that level of force (e.g. they have a gun themselves).
    Last edited by SIXTO; October 5th, 2011 at 12:00 AM.
    TN_Mike and Bark'n like this.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links