To any LEO's out there.

This is a discussion on To any LEO's out there. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When he asks for my drivers license I would hand him it and my CCW and go from there...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: To any LEO's out there.

When he asks for my drivers license I would hand him it and my CCW and go from there
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    I travel a lot, and I know where I have an obligation to notify, and where I don't. It doesn't matter to me. If I get pulled I hand my CWP with my DL. I prefer to extend the cooperative hand to a LEO, and more times than not, it only works in my favor. I've never been disarmed.
    Sound advise right there. guaranteed not to escalate a situation 100% of the time.
    helderberg likes this.

I think this is the way to go. If I inform at the beginning I can never be upset with myself for not cooperating. The LEO's around here have a tough enough time without me trying to out think them. Thanks to all who responded and to all of us, I hope we never need to use any of our guns for other than practice and enjoyment.
    Be safe, Frank.
    Buckj and culleydog45 like this.

Just to add to the consensus, here is the direct quote from the student manual from the NC justice academy for the concealed carry course.

What to do if approached by a law enforcement officer
    (a) DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DISPLAY THE
    HANDGUN.
    (b) If in a vehicle, roll the window half-way down,
    turn on the interior light, if at night, place both
    hands on the steering wheel. Once the officer
    approaches the vehicle, notify the officer that
    you have a permit, that you are armed, and
    where the handgun is located.
    (c) If not in a vehicle, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO
    DISPLAY THE HANDGUN. KEEP BOTH
    HANDS VISIBLE. Notify the officer that you
    have a concealed carry permit and are carrying a
    handgun.
    (d) ONLY ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THE
    PERMIT OR THE HANDGUN ON
    INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE OFFICER.

Not an LEO,but TX must inform,all 3 times I been involved with LEO 2 Traffic Stops and 1 Accident not my fault,I handed my CHL with my DL to the Officers,they said thank you and handed back my CHL,
    garyacman likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Cool before a LEO and after story...

Before I became a deputy with the State, I was pulled over by the side of the road with an overheated car when this Tennesee cop got interested (I assume in my being on the side of the road, not just in me, heh, heh) and pulled up. He came up to my vehicle and asked to see my drivers license which I handed to him. At that time I also told him I have a Texas permit (I made no mention of whether I had a gun or not, which I did) and gave that to him. He looked at both, then back at me, handed both the license and permit back, told my to get moving as soon as I could and left.

After becoming a deputy (not a traffic cop by the way, so I never pulled over anyone... my job was nailing arsonists), my opinion is that if I ever had to detain anyone and they showed me their permit, I'd tell them I appreciate their having a firearm and being legally permitted when carrying it.

I feel safest at gun shows.
    tcon67 and Buckj like this.

I am not a LEO, but have spend a good portion working with and for them in my past jobs.
    I have posed this question to many LEOs at local, county and state levels.
    Florida is not a must inform state. However, the LEOs are mostly onto this:
    If its in the glove box or otherwise secured and you do not have to go in there for the credentials, they don't want to know.
    if its on your person, or you have to go where its located, do inform. The LEO will tell you how he wants it handled.
    Most LEOs do want to get treated with respect and will treat you the same.
    Oh, yes, never use the work "gun". If the LEO has a partner, he's on the passenger side watching you. The work "gun" may freak him out. Remember, the guy on the passenger side may be a trainee and he's armed............

some personal insight on this topic (I love this topic):

It's true in NC you have to tell them you're armed. Personally, I would always tell them and here is why:
    1) I'm always extremely polite to the police, but that's just me. I use the "catch more flies with honey" motto, and it's worked for me A LOT in the past.

2) I have had 2 good friends literally talk themselves right out of a ticket by saying "Sir, I need to inform you that i am a CCW holder and i have my weapon under the drivers seat.

Not saying this will happen in all cases obviously, but in situation #2 the officer approached the truck and was obviously pissed (we were speeding); once he told him he was armed it appeared that it took the officer somewhat by surprise, it was like he lost his train of thought. He ended up giving my buddy a warning. He actually went on to explain that he normally gives CCW holders a little more leniency b/c he knows that 1) all of our info is in the system, 2) we're not felons, and 3) by-n-large we're the good guys! Not a bad deal if you ask me!

I ride motorcycles a lot...unfortunately sometimes I let my adrenaline rush get the best of me and go too damn fast...so I figure if I can be cool with an officer for just doing his job, it can't hurt.

Senior Moderator
    Just hand the Officer your DL and your Permit together and you are covered by law. There is no need to make it any more complicated than that.

He might ask if you are carrying and where on your person you are carrying, just answer truthfully.

Other than that, proceed as you normally would. Listen to his/her instruction and you should have no issues.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Peoples Protectorate of Kaliforniya, gulag NorCal
    CHP friend of mine said, and quote:

"All officers would rather you tell us from the start, with your hands on the steering wheel, " I have a loaded weapon in the car in the glove box or wherever it may be". This tells me that you are a law abiding citizen cuz bad guys never tell us that!

As long as you are legal then you won't have any problems with law enforcement. You have no idea how many times I would search some good for nothing bad guy who would have a gun on them, or in their car, after I already asked him If they had any weapons, knives or hangranades? Bad guys never tell the truth, good guys do. Be a good guy! "

Sounds like good advice to me.

RoadKill likes this.

eb
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Just hand the Officer your DL and your Permit together and you are covered by law. There is no need to make it any more complicated than that.

He might ask if you are carrying and where on your person you are carrying, just answer truthfully.

Other than that, proceed as you normally would. Listen to his/her instruction and you should have no issues.
    This is always my plan as well. Its better than him running your license, and having to come back and ask about the permit/gun I figure.

Per RCW 9.41.050, Washington State; very licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so.

There is no 'duty to inform' requirement in Washington to inform a law enforcement officer of your carrying status during a traffic stop, unless "demand" to do so is made...

I personally feel no need to tell the officer, unless he asks. It is conceal, I will not draw the weapon, and he will never know it is there and has no need to know. If ask I respond..."Officer I do have a Concealed Pistol License (CPL), and am availing myself of the right to carry a concealed weapon...it is located in a hip holster at 8 o'clock...may I get my CPL and present it to you?" and take it from there...I just see know reason to open a potential can of worms anymore. Once when stopped for a bad tail light, I presented my DL and my CPL, and the officer proceeded to ask me all kinds of questons " Why do you feel the need to carry a Gun"...the same reason you do officer, to protect myself from the bad guys..." Don't you know most firearms are used against their owner?" ...no...thats a new one to me..." What if a criminal takes that gun from you?"...Granted, most officers would not react the way that one did, but for me, I'll inform an officer when and only when asked...

As usual waiting a bit before chiming in.

I have a LE friend in Florida. I asked him the same question. He is a Traffic Officer and told me that he really wasn't concerned with those who have a concealed carry permit and are carrying at the time. He said it's the ones who do it wrongfully that worry him the most, but he's trained to look for the signs of it. Those who did volunteer the information, he just said ok, handed them permit and didn't ask if a handgun was present.

Wife and I were coming back from a vist to her folks in Illinois when I got pulled over in Floyd Co IN for speeding. Trooper was sitting right next to the 55 mph sign and I blew past him before I could get slowed down. I had a revolver in the map pocket of the car, but never offered to tell him I had a pemit and a handgun. Not required in Indiana so I just didn't. We had our dog with us in the back seat and she is very agressive and did not like this guy. I was holding her back, she would have been greater threat than us. He gave me a $125 ticket. In hindsight, perhaps I should have told him about my permit and weapon. Maybe he would have had sympathy for me, or still just gave me the ticket. Who knows?

Unless it is a law in that state to notify, I don't think I will because I am not breaking the law if it isn't required. That's what the laws are for.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

this summer i was driving with my family up north here in michigan for a long weekend. i got caught in a speed trap, pretty typical in some stretches of I-75. this was the first time i've ever gotten pulled over in some 20 years and first time with a CCW. i handed him my driver's license, proof of insurance, registration, and CCW permit. it was a michigan state trooper and all he asked was where my weapon was. i replied that it's at 4 o'clock. his reply was to just "keep it there". he went back to his car, ran my stuff, came back and said he'd give me a written warning and to watch the speed. that was it. pretty straight forward here in the great lakes state. of course i was lucky that it was a state trooper and not local PD in some non-CCW friendly cities here in michigan (i'm looking at you sterling heights).

Then again, that chap in Canton, OH, informed according to the law and the cop threatened to kill him. May not be typical, but it's possible and far from the only example. In VA, there no requirement to inform so I do not. The same in other states through which I travel which do not require notification. In states that do require notification, I comply with the law. It's always best to say as little as possible in accordance with the U.S. Constitution and state and local laws. It's worked well so far.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links