To any LEO's out there.

To any LEO's out there.

This is a discussion on To any LEO's out there. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to know how you, as a law enforcement officer, would like a person, ME, to inform you I am armed and caring ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: To any LEO's out there.

To any LEO's out there.

I would like to know how you, as a law enforcement officer, would like a person, ME, to inform you I am armed and caring a loaded weapon and have a permit to do so. For this lets assume you pulled me over for speeding or running a red light, not a major crime. I have gone through this in my head and thought of asking a local LEO but do not know any well enough to approach with this question. Any real life or just your personal preferences would be appreciated. Again, this applies to a person who is doing nothing illegal with the handgun but caring it legally concealed. Thanks.
    Stay safe, Frank.

The first time I told a LEO I was CCW was when I was in the back of his cruser. Had a fender bender that he witnessed so we were filling out reports in the back of his cruser he I leaned up to the waffel maker a said, "sir I have my CCW and my weapon is at 4 o'clock". He said ok and that was that. Except when he ran my license the dispatch said their code for CCW. I forget what it was but it was just a silly word. Any Parma Ohio cops out their know what the term is?
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

I'd say "Ummmm ok"

Keep your hands on the wheel and after I "introduce" myself just say something like, "Before we go any further I need to inform you that I have a concealed carry permit (or whatever they call them where you're from) and I am carrying." At that point I'll let you know what I want you to do or not do.
    baren and atctimmy like this.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

This is an issue I want to discuss with our county and city police leaders. I would like to bring together local LEO's and ccw citizens for a class on how to handle these questions. You know really get on the same page with each other about everything from routine traffic stops to situations where lethal force is used both in the home and in public, and how they would want us to handle it. I can imagine the confusion of a self defense shooting in a Wal-Mart parking lot and I would like to be clear on what I could expect the police to do and what they expected me to do BEFORE it actually happened. I think it would be very beneficial to both parties.
    baren and RIRdKng like this.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by helderberg View Post
    I would like to know how you, as a law enforcement officer, would like a person, ME, to inform you I am armed and caring a loaded weapon and have a permit to do so. For this lets assume you pulled me over for speeding or running a red light, not a major crime. I have gone through this in my head and thought of asking a local LEO but do not know any well enough to approach with this question. Any real life or just your personal preferences would be appreciated. Again, this applies to a person who is doing nothing illegal with the handgun but caring it legally concealed. Thanks.
    Stay safe, Frank.
    FYI in NY there is NO legal requirement to inform. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newyork.pdf

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

In nc it is the law that if u hav that ccw u hav to inform the officer when first approached that u hav the weapon. Best to just like wc145 stated both hands on the steering wheel and inform he f ur permit then weapon. No sudden movements and wait for his instructions. I know it makes the citizen feel like a criminal but it is for the safety of the officer and for you too.

Thats what i did the first time i got stopped and all went well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    In nc it is the law that if u hav that ccw u hav to inform the officer when first approached that u hav the weapon. Best to just like wc145 stated both hands on the steering wheel and inform he f ur permit then weapon. No sudden movements and wait for his instructions. I know it makes the citizen feel like a criminal but it is for the safety of the officer and for you too.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

I won't tell unless asked. Minnesota law states there is no duty to inform the officer unless lawfully asked to do so. If I have to, I'll simply reply, "Yes, officer, I am carrying a weapon. I am carrying <list of defense tools here> at my <locate of defense tools>." If s/he wants me to disarm, I'm certain they'll help.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

VIP Member
    What ever you do, don't tell him "Officer, I'd like to report a man with a gun!"

Seriously though, if driving keep your hands on the wheel and inform him you have a permit and are carrying a weapon. If approach outside of your vehicle, assume a non-threatening position and inform him of the same thing.

Also, while I'm much older than most of the LEO I come into contact with, I still address to them as "Officer or Sir". It has nothing to do with the individual, but with the position they hold. It's like in the military, you may not care for an officer, but you show them the respect their position hold.
    garyacman, Knute, baren and 2 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

What WC145 said. Even though TN does not require it, I do. The last time the officer politely asked where it was located then after I told him said, with a smile, "You don't show me yours and I won't show you mine"
    Beans likes this.

As they are approaching your vehicle DO NOT stick your head out the window and yell "I GOTTA GUN" !!!!

I travel a lot, and I know where I have an obligation to notify, and where I don't. It doesn't matter to me. If I get pulled I hand my CWP with my DL. I prefer to extend the cooperative hand to a LEO, and more times than not, it only works in my favor. I've never been disarmed.
    baren, tcon67 and helderberg like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    Keep your hands on the wheel and after I "introduce" myself just say something like, "Before we go any further I need to inform you that I have a concealed carry permit (or whatever they call them where you're from) and I am carrying." At that point I'll let you know what I want you to do or not do.

^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I like that!!!

I'm gonna try that next time.

Anything's gotta be better than jumping out of my vehicle,pulling my pistol out, pointing it at the officer and saying, I got a permit for this!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Thanks all, I will try to remember these.
    Be safe, Frank

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links