Rechambering every day

This is a discussion on Rechambering every day within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I should add that word has it for 1911s the MILLENNIUM extractor (unofficially) will pop over a chambered round without damage to the extractor but, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Rechambering every day

Administrator
    I should add that word has it for 1911s the MILLENNIUM extractor (unofficially) will pop over a chambered round without damage to the extractor but, it's more $$$ than most folks are willing to spend for an extractor.

I have 2 1911s with Millennium extractors but, I have never needed to do that so I've not attempted it but, have only read it on the Internet.

The way folks do it is: Magazine out - drop a round into the chamber - ease the slide all the way forward - then pull the slide back a short ways and allow it to snap forward on its own.

This highly unique extractor pivots on the firing pin stop so the FP stop needs to fit tight and be beveled on the right hand side in order for this extractor to be properly installed. And it's a PITA to get into the slide the first few times you try to get it into the slide. It is an amazing lifetime extractor though. No need to go into any more detail here which will sidetrack the thread. Just be aware of the fact that it's not a simple "drop in" though any halfway skilled person can accomplish the installation at home with no real investment in special tools.

2. Remove Ads

I would be more concerned about the State disarming me in my own home,during a burglary/home invasion I seriously doubt if you would be able to arm up before it was too late
    9MMare likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Buy an extra box of SD ammo, when you unload, put the loose round in an empty tray in the evening (or mar the primer side with a sharpie and place in full tray), then load up a new round in the morning. Saves the mag spring wear from unloading the mag every time.

Agreed, there is no specific number of times you can do this before dangerous setback occurs. Spend the $20 and buy some calipers and measure a new round. Once the chambered round drops .007" I'd call it range ammo.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I'd double, triple check that whoever told you
    And child protective services' idiodic rule is that any gun in storage must work like this. The gun must be in one safe, unloaded completely. The magazines and ammo must be in a totally different safe that uses a different key.
    is in fact quoting law or published directives and not trying to enforce their personal views.

If it is truly the requirement, then, well, you have a safe with guns, you have a safe with ammo and you show these to the inspector. And you have another little safe out of sight where your carry gun gets stashed (wink wink, nudge nudge.)
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Man just store your loaded weapon locked in the safe. Your house, it's not like they can search your safe for loaded weapons can they?

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    Man just store your loaded weapon locked in the safe. Your house, it's not like they can search your safe for loaded weapons can they?
    For the situation and all things considered, this seems like the most logical solution. I have a client that has children. He carrys "ready to go" When he comes home his first stop is his and his wifes bedroom. There on the nightstand is a gun safe. e places his firearm in the safe then goes about his family affairs.

My best to you and family.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    I'd double, triple check that whoever told you
    is in fact quoting law or published directives and not trying to enforce their personal views.
    Well, this is actually written in the child protective services manual. And it was also told to us in person by one of the workers.

Quote Originally Posted by spencerb
    Good question. I believe they can. They have told us that they can and will do surprise inspections of our home anytime we have foster children living with us. They can inspect anything they like. Of course, I have the freedom to deny them the inspection but then we will lose our foster license. Now, as to whether they would actually insist I open the gun case and check each firearm to see if it is loaded or not, I am not sure. As I haven't had one of these inspections yet, I'm not sure what to expect from them.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Well, this is actually written in the child protective services manual. And it was also told to us in person by one of the workers.
    Writer or decision maker must have been from either Australia or New Zealand (that is how their gun ownership and storage law reads, can't remember which country)
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

My carry guns and home defense weapons are nobody's business and I wouldn't tell them. What they want would make you unable to defend your family from a break in during the time your at home.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

SuperTac, this would not be an issue because the state isnt going to randomly inspect your house. They will for him.

For the OP:
    Are you using a safe with a key? If you are could you financially handle buying two small digital safes?

My thought. Store all your normal guns in your normal safe. Then when your home put the gun in one bedside safe and the mag in the other. Store the gun slide locked back. I would think with a little training your talking 3-5 seconds to be fully ready to go. Obviously not optimal but maybe a solution.

After reloading like that for a week, just swap all the ammo in the current mag and mark it for range time.

Just trying to think of a work around for a tough situation. And kudos for fostering a child.

If you have a set of calipers, you could do an experiment. Just keep re-chambering the same round, but measure it each time. Every cartridge has a min/max length.

I had a situation where I had to load/unload everyday. I could visually determine the set-back, and about 3 times is all I would dare.

Might be a good excuse to buy a revolver, if you don't already have one
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    In SC, a weapon is 'in use' if it's your SD/HD weapon. My handguns and my 12ga are always 'in use'. When a weapon is in 'storage', it is unloaded, with no magazine inserted.

If you haven't already, check to see what exactly is considered 'in use'/'in storage' in TX. And, get yourself one of those 'small' biometric safes that you can mount/secure in your room near the bed.
    I actually think you're on to something.

Since, you're not going to sleep with your firearm on your person, (though I have been known to do this), I would think a small bedside "SD/HD" safe is NOT going to be seen as "storing" your firearm.

I think would seek the "legal" definition of "storage".

-

They're not going to inspect you in the middle of the night. Get a bedside solution you are comfortable with, and store everything else in the mandated fashion.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

I am required to un-load and re-chamber everyday because my employer requires it to be un-loaded in the firearm storage area. I haven't found it mattered much with quality SD ammo like Speer or Win Ranger-T. The one that does work is that extreme shock crap. I was getting setback after a few re-chamberings. I also found that a bullet puller would pop it back out to the same lenght bas the un-chambered round. It was visually set-back. I also just fired them at the range if they weren't set-back too much. Never had a problem, some day I may damage my firearm. The .45 is a Kimber Ulta CDP II or a Sig 1911 RCS. The .40 is a P229 Sig. I wouldn't think it would be too easy to damage the Sigs.They are built like Tanks. I also have a J-frame which is most likely my best choice.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    How many times would you chamber a single round before replacing it?
    Once. If I unload a JHP self-defense round, I add it to the practice FMJs and fire it on the next range trip.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links