Defensive Carry banner

Cover garments/dressing around your CCW and EDC gear

16K views 60 replies 46 participants last post by  Kennydale 
#1 ·
I have seen lots of posts, here and on other forums, concerning what people carry every day. What I have not seen to any extent is how people manage to carry all their gear. The right pants and cover garment can go a long way in managing all your stuff. I bring this up because today, while shopping for cargo pants, I found a vest that I am sure will become my favorite carry garment for weather below about 70%.

I typically wear an open shirt over a t-shirt or other shirt and can easily conceal my commander size 1911, two spare mags and pocket knife without any trouble at all. I can even carry my LCP in my left front pants pocket. The problem is that, other than my wallet, there is not a lot of room for the cell phone and other stuff that I need, or would like, to carry.

The Vest that I found is made of cotton duck and is sort of sage green in color. It was apparently designed as hunting/field vest as it has a large zippered pocket in the back either for birds or maps. It has a large flap covered pocket on either side which is fastened with Velcro. It has a regular breast pocket on the left side that is also fastened with Velcro. The pocket on the right however has a vertical zipper. This pocket might be a good place for one of my LCP's or spare mags.

It also has an inside pocket on the left hand side. Between the two large main pockets there is plenty of room for a flashlight, spare knife, mags and even a BUG. The back zippered pouch can be used for band-aids, TP, a copy of my CWP and any other documents that I might need to carry. The bad news is that I think this vest is not being made any more or I would tell you guys where to get one. If you have any piece of clothing that you think is great for concealment, let others know about it.

See less See more
#35 ·
It might be a regional thing, but I don't see too many vests being worn in my area as part of a fashionable ensemble. Most vests I see are leather that are often worn by motorcyclists. As I also ride, I am contemplating getting one myself to cover my Galco shoulder rig and my CW9.

#36 ·
I always wear a T-shirt because I don't care for the feel of holster or gun against my bare skin. Then I just slip a polo shirt or whatever over it to cover. I did get rid of the tactical knife clipped to the front pocket. I got to where every time that I saw someone with a knife clipped to their pocket, I was looking to see where they had the gun hidden.

#39 ·
In the summer it is usually a Hawian shirt or loose untucked pull over. All other times it is usually a pullover or colored T shirt with an open top shirt. All I carry is my weapon and occasionally a second mag. All my other stuff goes in pockets.

#40 ·
In the summer I'm generally carrying a S&W 642 in a Nemisis holster in the front pocket of my cargo shorts. Now that it is cooler, I'm back to my favorite carry, a full size 1911 Kimber in either a Galco Avenger OWB holster or a Galco IWB holster, depending on what I'm wearing. I usually cover with a flannel shirt, light jacket, or either a cotton canvas or polyester fleece vest, depending on the temperature. And by the way, no one has run away from me either, screaming MWAG! I don't even get second looks, nor do I expect to get shot first if I'm ever any place that is robbed.:image035:

#41 ·
Fishing, hunting, photographer vests all scream CCW to me... Biker vest; on a "biker type" person, doesn't. But on your average Joe, I think those look like he's a wannabe biker...

I'm afraid the only time you'd see me in a vest alone is when I am wearing the sash that goes with them, and have my cool slider holster with the CCW badge on my belt. (read NEVER)

I do have a down vest, I wear it under a coat when it's real cold out, and under a parka when I'm out plowing snow on the tractor.

I really fight the notion of dressing around the gun. LEO dresses around the gun, he wears a uniform, a duty belt, and all the accoutrement that goes with the job, some security cops wear more gear than real LEOs.

I am the gray man... I am everybody else you (don't) see on the street.

I do like the colder weather that allows me to wear a jacket and carry un-tucked as well as I like the weather that is warm enough to let me wear a camp shirt or Hawaiian for the same reason... But, if I gotta dress up in casual business attire... I'm all tucked in and look like any other cube rat on casual Friday.

#43 ·
Hey fitch what kind of holster do you have a have two iwb holsters and my wife the other day told me that she thought i was going to carry more than I do and I told her that I have carried everywhere we have gone as a family since getting my 26 and she never knew. I have a custom holster and a crossbreed. When I get to jacket weather i will go with my owb blackhawk serpa.

#44 ·
This time of year, I pull out the zipper-fronted, fleece vest. I wear a "Tall" size that hangs a bit longer than normal. This allows OWB as well as IWB carry. It is very comfortable and is MUCH less obvious. Also, if you are of the right.... ahem!... vintage... a long sweater looks appropiate and would conceal well.

#56 ·
I'm an Analyst/Programmer. Dress code for my workplace is pretty loose, IT casual most of the time so I can usually go with IWB and an untucked shirt for my Warthawg or my Pro Carry II. For meetings where I need to dress more formally I wear CCW Breakaway trousers.
CCW Breakaways.com

They are spendy but well worth the price. They hide any pistol I own (except my S&W 460), they look good, and they allow fast access to my weapon. This is a far better solution than the ankle holster I used to go with.

#57 ·
J.I.T. slide holster with either the LCR or PM9 at 2:30 or 3 oclock. I buy my T-Shirts a little larger than necessary so they are baggy/loose fitting. They cover just fine. Might print a little if I bend over or lean certain ways, but I don't care. If the weather is cool, tuck in the T-shirt and cover with a large/loose fitting henley or button up canvas shirt or jacket.

#58 ·
I use a Carhartt vest.

The inside pocket is perfect for a S&W snubbie :image035:

Reactions: JD
#59 ·
I bought an EOTAC coyote brown vest about a week ago for IDPA matches. Once I tried it on, I noticed that I could conceal every pistol I own (not all at one time) under this thing and it still looks good and is very comfortable. I have been wearing it ever since I took it out of the package and I don't think it screams "I have a gun!" so I just keep wearing it. It does look a little military-ish, but there are no ar15 mag pouches on it or stuff like that, just four large pockets all the same size. It may look a little weird since no one in Alabama wears a vest, but I like it and I'm going to keep wearing it. Plus EOTAC has gone out of business and I got it at more than half price. Score!! :danceban:

#61 ·
In hot steamy Gulf Coast Texas. I use the 3Speed Holster in appendix carry. I also add a tank top tee only because I dislike the belt and holster against my skin. This works well for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.