Defensive Carry banner

Cover garments/dressing around your CCW and EDC gear

16K views 60 replies 46 participants last post by  Kennydale 
#1 ·
I have seen lots of posts, here and on other forums, concerning what people carry every day. What I have not seen to any extent is how people manage to carry all their gear. The right pants and cover garment can go a long way in managing all your stuff. I bring this up because today, while shopping for cargo pants, I found a vest that I am sure will become my favorite carry garment for weather below about 70%.

I typically wear an open shirt over a t-shirt or other shirt and can easily conceal my commander size 1911, two spare mags and pocket knife without any trouble at all. I can even carry my LCP in my left front pants pocket. The problem is that, other than my wallet, there is not a lot of room for the cell phone and other stuff that I need, or would like, to carry.

The Vest that I found is made of cotton duck and is sort of sage green in color. It was apparently designed as hunting/field vest as it has a large zippered pocket in the back either for birds or maps. It has a large flap covered pocket on either side which is fastened with Velcro. It has a regular breast pocket on the left side that is also fastened with Velcro. The pocket on the right however has a vertical zipper. This pocket might be a good place for one of my LCP's or spare mags.

It also has an inside pocket on the left hand side. Between the two large main pockets there is plenty of room for a flashlight, spare knife, mags and even a BUG. The back zippered pouch can be used for band-aids, TP, a copy of my CWP and any other documents that I might need to carry. The bad news is that I think this vest is not being made any more or I would tell you guys where to get one. If you have any piece of clothing that you think is great for concealment, let others know about it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Everything I carry fits under a T-shirt with extras in the front pockets of jeans or cargo shorts, so the cover garment isn't necessary in hot weather. My wallet fits nicely in my rear pocket, or on the seat when I'm driving. In cool to cold weather, it all becomes easier still.

#19 ·
This sounds very similar to my set up. I usually wear a "wife beater" type undershirt (I hate that description) and a one size larger T-shirt over that. My CW9 (summer carry gun 90% of the time) is in my Theis hybrid IWB holster and the spare mag(s) in a pocket mag pouch in my left front pocket. My knife is clipped to the same pocket that the mags are in. Flashlight on the other side, cell phone in a pouch on my belt on the strong side infront of the gun. Wallet in the back pocket. That's about all I carry. All can easily be concealed with the T-shirt left un-tucked or, because the holster is a tuckable, tucked if I really want to.

#4 ·
Here in FL I carry a Glock in every day 'wear'...every other thing I need goes along, too...no problems.

#6 ·
I carry a Glock 26 in the heat of summer. Or a Glock 17 now that I can add a cover shirt. I use the same setup all year. I carry IWB in an Mtac holster. Spare mag in single carrier on belt. I also carry a Buck knife in sheath on my belt. (Bit of old school tech!)That leaves me plenty of pocket room for everything else. Phone, keys, and wallet are no problem.

I normally do not carry a BUG, pepper spray or a flashlight. Those get added as I see the need. And I just make them fit.

#7 ·
I prefer to keep it simple, and the SO still calls my waist a "Man Purse" or "Bat Belt"

In clockwise rotation, tac-flashlight, key ring holder/biker wallet (which is the front belt clip for my holster), IWB Baby Eagle .40 Full size, then all the way to the other side a spare mag and very occasionally my cell (usually in breast pocket if available). Right back pocket is wallet, left is card wallet. Stopped using front pockets to carry anything but change/coins 10 years ago.

To me, and maybe only because I know, I see a person wearing a "hunting" style vest, it screams CC.

Work days is uniform with shirt tucked in. Days off is typically T-shirt with an unbuttoned flannel as my cover. Works great IWB or OWB.

#8 ·
A guy wearing a vest says CC to me. A woman/girl wearing a vest doesn't do that - it just looks like something they do to look good.

I find it difficult to carry my G26 on hot summer days - it doesn't conceal under an untucked T-Shirt well enough that I'm willing to carry it that way. I frequently wear a light long sleeved shirt, untucked and unbuttoned, which conceals the G26 just fine. When I can't hide the 26 I carry either the Walther PPK/S (IWB under an untucked T-Shirt) or Ruger LCP (right front pocket).

When ever it is cool enough to wear a sweat shirt it's no problem at all to conceal the G26 or the G19 in an IWB holster.

Fitch

#9 ·
It may scream concealed carry to you guys but not to most folks

not around here anyway. I am a cabinet maker by trade so jeans, a loose shirt and even a vest are normal. When it gets to 80 or above the vest will obviously come off. In Maine, where I live, wearing this type of vest usually means you are from out of state (from away) and just went to LL Beans.:wink: In the summer I wear a loose shirt opened at the waist over a T-shirt along with shorts and never even get a second look. I prefer heavy weight shirts because I like the way they feel and I believe they conceal better. People never know I carry unless I tell them. In fact I was at a birthday party for my niece the other day and I mentioned that it was hot. When one of my sisters in law suggested that I take off one of my shirts, I politely declined. This would have been the end of it except that she wanted to know why and my wife told her. Everyone was surprised. I was not happy with my wife and explained that if I wanted every one to know that I would carry openly. Oh well. My sister in law asked when I started carrying and I told her that every time she and the others had seen me over the last 2 or so years I was carrying. She didn't believe me. I got about the same reaction from my family. When I see guys dressed like me I try to see if they are carrying. I have not been been able to do it yet. So, even if someone is looking, my method of concealment works. I have a couple of friends who know that I carry and even they are surprised that they can't spot me.

I just thought it might be interesting to discuss what method of dress works for those of who carry. By the way, to the guy who mentioned that stuff like cell phones end up in a shirt pocket, I have broken two cell phones this way while bending over. Stuff in shirt pockets tend to end up on the ground.

#10 ·
Faded Glory T-shirts in black, dark brown, khaki and light green provide the best cover and least printing of any T's I have tried. Blues, red and camo patterns, not quite as well, but still adequate.

#11 ·
The Vest that I found is made of cotton duck and is sort of sage green in color. It was apparently designed as hunting/field vest as it has a large zippered pocket in the back either for birds or maps. It has a large flap covered pocket on either side which is fastened with Velcro. It has a regular breast pocket on the left side that is also fastened with Velcro. The pocket on the right however has a vertical zipper. This pocket might be a good place for one of my LCP's or spare mags.

It also has an inside pocket on the left hand side. Between the two large main pockets there is plenty of room for a flashlight, spare knife, mags and even a BUG. The back zippered pouch can be used for band-aids, TP, a copy of my CWP and any other documents that I might need to carry. The bad news is that I think this vest is not being made any more or I would tell you guys where to get one. If you have any piece of clothing that you think is great for concealment, let others know about it.
I believe that's what's referred to as a "Shoot me first" vest. :D

I wear heavy cotton T-shirts in dark colors at work and have no problem concealing AIWB. Outside of work (where I don't have to bend over all the time) I can wear the same thing and conceal IWB at 3:30-4:00.

#14 ·
As a firm adherent to the three rules of firearms safety, I have never been able to resign myself to giving appendix a try. Your observation about off-hand draw is valid, tho, and my only complaint with the 3:00-5:00 carry positions.

#16 ·
Given that only about 5 percent of the population is licensed for CCW, and a slightly smaller number actually carries regularly, I'm at a loss to see how the wearing of a vest would indicate that a person is carrying.

After all, I'm pretty sure that most vests are not being sold to people who want to conceal fireams, with the exception of specialty brands like 511 - and there, the label is going to tip off those in the know.

The only garment that signals a high level of threat is a long coat or trench, worn out of season.

More realistically, it isn't the garment that's going to cause a problem, it's the behavior - nervous adjusting of the firearm, constant touching of it, etc.

#18 ·
Travelsmith sells a very good looking vest that is stylish, comfortable and long enough for CC. I really like mine a lot and wear it frequently. Two colors, check it out
Men's Voyager Vest - TravelSmith

Jacket Clothing Outerwear Sleeve Pocket

#21 ·
It's not really a cover garment, but check out Columbia's Roc or Lander pants. They look basically like khakis, but have a small extra gear pocket on the right thigh that is good for a mag or speed strips. Mine has a smaller pen sized pocket alongside this that is perfect for Asp Defender OC. Then there is a zip pocket behind the right hip pocket (kind of hard to describe) that helps keep things separate. I use it to stow my "Old Timer" pen knife so it won't fall out where my kids can find it, since that's not something I'll ever need in a hurry. +1 on the "wife beater"/dark t-shirt combo (I like Russell Jerzees). TN_Mike, in the UK they call them "singlets," if that's any better (no matter how I squint at them, I can't see the "A"). :smile:

(Yes, I know a right thigh pocket could present obstacles for ambidextrous access, but honestly, so does a canted tuck holster worn at 4 o'clock. Life is full of trade offs.)

#22 ·
I carry a full sized sidearm IWB, and a mag pouch opposite. I pocket carry a BUG in one back pocket, wallet in the other. Knife in one front pocket, cell phone in the other. I use an untucked tshirt, dress up a little with a polo shirt, or more with a Cuban style Guyaberra (a dress shirt made to be worn untucked). Of course, I can blend in with a Cuban shirt here in FL, not sure if it would fly in Maine....

When it gets cold here I bundle up with a Nomex or a leather flight jacket or a firefighters job shirt or swestshirt and usually a layer of thermal 5.11 style undershirt. For me thats like when it's less than 60 out. I can't imagine wearing a gun under layers of clothes for the snow.

#23 ·
I have carried a Glock 21 and a back up gun along with Reloads for both, Knife, Flashlight, Phone, Wallet, Money Clip, and Pepper Spray. This was in the Summer waring T-Shirt and Shorts. Basically I carry the same thing every day. Since I sold the G21 Three Months ago I have been carrying Two Revolvers. Once in a while I carry a G26 but, I like my 357 Snubs better. Some of the Gear goes in ballistic nylon pouches on my belt. Some stuff goes in my pockets. The real challenge will be this weekend at a Wedding. Suit Pants Pockets aren't as strong to carry things and on the belt is ruff if you want to take off your Jacket. I really hate to leave things behind so I may just carry a small Knife instead off a Multi Tool, a smaller light, One Gun (I hate to carry only One) Speed Strips instead of Speed Loaders. I will figure something out.

#26 ·
GLOCK 19 in a CBST supported by a Crossbreed belt. In right front pocket: front pocket wallet, key to lock box, loose change, Spyderco Harpy clipped to pocket. In left front pocket: keys, cell phone carrier clipped to pocket. Back pockets: cash, but rarely. If it's above 50 F, I usually wear cargo shorts and I may slip a light and/or a spare magazine into one of the lower pocket if I'm gonna be out after dark. If cooler I wear jeans. I usually always wear a short sleeve t-shirt or a pullover if at work, untucked and I have no problem staying concealed with careful movements. I'd like to add a small AA powered flashlight and spare magazine to my daily routine but have not worked that out yet.

I too have heard a lot about the "shoot me vests". I think if you normally wear them and they don't have 5.11 tags and NRA logos all over them you may be pretty incognito, but for someone who doesn't normally wear one it could look suspicious. Yes my tin-foil hat is snug.

#27 ·
I wear a vest as a matter of course when it gets to the cooler months...wool vest..., well dressed Stetson, with a conservative flannel shirt and jeans. In my opinion, it really dresses up the shirt/pants combo and adds an air of dignity to an otherwise plain outfit. I've never used it as a cover for concealed carry and find all of these references to vests being indicators of CC a little baffling, but then I'm not typically a CC guy either, so not "tuned in" to the mindset, I guess.

One thing I will say, when I OC wearing my vest outfit I get fewer quizzical looks than I do without the vest. My 1911 in a nice (not ostentatious) leather holster just seems to fit the whole package and people seem more comfortable if they notice a gun on someone who looks "put together" than they do if one looks sloppy and unkempt. This is my experience, anyway.

OP...sorry not cc related, but I'm a "vest" guy and had to opine that not everyone automatically sees them as cover garments for handguns. Before joining this forum I'd never considered it and I kind of wonder how many people outside of the LE/CC communities, bad-guys included give them a second-thought as well.

...maybe I'm just naive...

#54 ·
I wear a vest as a matter of course when it gets to the cooler months...wool vest..., well dressed Stetson, with a conservative flannel shirt and jeans. In my opinion, it really dresses up the shirt/pants combo and adds an air of dignity to an otherwise plain outfit.

...maybe I'm just naive...
You need to consider regional differences. In Colorado where you live it looks dignified. In New York, Boston or DC, they'd assume you were going for an audition with The Village People.

#28 ·
For us gals, vests are very "in" at this point in time... Of course some of them are not long enough to conceal anything and some of them are very form fitting but they are the opposite of what you would consider a "shoot me first" vest.

You can do fun..

Sophisticated..

The possibilities are endless...

What I think of when I think "shoot me first" vest is this....

In fact, when I see these vests I do immediately start looking for the Wilderness Instructor belt, the 5.11 pants and other indications that someone is either armed or at least military/LEO. I kind of also internally laugh at them because they look like idiots when not on a firing range somewhere... (sorry if I've offended anyone who wears this kind of vest on a regular basis).

The kind of vests I think of as classy and do not raise any suspicion with me are these and the like...

Vests are very common this time of year and with a pair of jeans and regular shirt you would not so much as raise my eyebrow.

#30 ·
Just bought a Woolrich shirt that has the magnetic bottom button and velcro slits up each side. It's perfect way to carry. I carry PPK/S w/Crimson Trace in Galco Yaqui Paddle, which is OWB. No problem concealing under this shirt, and the upward yank to expose the gun for draw has proven very reliable for drawing cleanly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.