Cover garments/dressing around your CCW and EDC gear

This is a discussion on Cover garments/dressing around your CCW and EDC gear within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have seen lots of posts, here and on other forums, concerning what people carry every day. What I have not seen to any extent ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Cover garments/dressing around your CCW and EDC gear

Cover garments/dressing around your CCW and EDC gear

I have seen lots of posts, here and on other forums, concerning what people carry every day. What I have not seen to any extent is how people manage to carry all their gear. The right pants and cover garment can go a long way in managing all your stuff. I bring this up because today, while shopping for cargo pants, I found a vest that I am sure will become my favorite carry garment for weather below about 70%.

I typically wear an open shirt over a t-shirt or other shirt and can easily conceal my commander size 1911, two spare mags and pocket knife without any trouble at all. I can even carry my LCP in my left front pants pocket. The problem is that, other than my wallet, there is not a lot of room for the cell phone and other stuff that I need, or would like, to carry.

The Vest that I found is made of cotton duck and is sort of sage green in color. It was apparently designed as hunting/field vest as it has a large zippered pocket in the back either for birds or maps. It has a large flap covered pocket on either side which is fastened with Velcro. It has a regular breast pocket on the left side that is also fastened with Velcro. The pocket on the right however has a vertical zipper. This pocket might be a good place for one of my LCP's or spare mags.

It also has an inside pocket on the left hand side. Between the two large main pockets there is plenty of room for a flashlight, spare knife, mags and even a BUG. The back zippered pouch can be used for band-aids, TP, a copy of my CWP and any other documents that I might need to carry. The bad news is that I think this vest is not being made any more or I would tell you guys where to get one. If you have any piece of clothing that you think is great for concealment, let others know about it.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Everything I carry fits under a T-shirt with extras in the front pockets of jeans or cargo shorts, so the cover garment isn't necessary in hot weather. My wallet fits nicely in my rear pocket, or on the seat when I'm driving. In cool to cold weather, it all becomes easier still.

just a tshirt, now that I have switched to an AIWB set up, I tote my G21 all day with no fear

Here in FL I carry a Glock in every day 'wear'...every other thing I need goes along, too...no problems.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

RKM
    I just print and don't care.

I carry a Glock 26 in the heat of summer. Or a Glock 17 now that I can add a cover shirt. I use the same setup all year. I carry IWB in an Mtac holster. Spare mag in single carrier on belt. I also carry a Buck knife in sheath on my belt. (Bit of old school tech!)That leaves me plenty of pocket room for everything else. Phone, keys, and wallet are no problem.

I normally do not carry a BUG, pepper spray or a flashlight. Those get added as I see the need. And I just make them fit.
    Question Everything!

I prefer to keep it simple, and the SO still calls my waist a "Man Purse" or "Bat Belt"

In clockwise rotation, tac-flashlight, key ring holder/biker wallet (which is the front belt clip for my holster), IWB Baby Eagle .40 Full size, then all the way to the other side a spare mag and very occasionally my cell (usually in breast pocket if available). Right back pocket is wallet, left is card wallet. Stopped using front pockets to carry anything but change/coins 10 years ago.

To me, and maybe only because I know, I see a person wearing a "hunting" style vest, it screams CC.

Work days is uniform with shirt tucked in. Days off is typically T-shirt with an unbuttoned flannel as my cover. Works great IWB or OWB.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    A guy wearing a vest says CC to me. A woman/girl wearing a vest doesn't do that - it just looks like something they do to look good.

I find it difficult to carry my G26 on hot summer days - it doesn't conceal under an untucked T-Shirt well enough that I'm willing to carry it that way. I frequently wear a light long sleeved shirt, untucked and unbuttoned, which conceals the G26 just fine. When I can't hide the 26 I carry either the Walther PPK/S (IWB under an untucked T-Shirt) or Ruger LCP (right front pocket).

When ever it is cool enough to wear a sweat shirt it's no problem at all to conceal the G26 or the G19 in an IWB holster.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

It may scream concealed carry to you guys but not to most folks

not around here anyway. I am a cabinet maker by trade so jeans, a loose shirt and even a vest are normal. When it gets to 80 or above the vest will obviously come off. In Maine, where I live, wearing this type of vest usually means you are from out of state (from away) and just went to LL Beans. In the summer I wear a loose shirt opened at the waist over a T-shirt along with shorts and never even get a second look. I prefer heavy weight shirts because I like the way they feel and I believe they conceal better. People never know I carry unless I tell them. In fact I was at a birthday party for my niece the other day and I mentioned that it was hot. When one of my sisters in law suggested that I take off one of my shirts, I politely declined. This would have been the end of it except that she wanted to know why and my wife told her. Everyone was surprised. I was not happy with my wife and explained that if I wanted every one to know that I would carry openly. Oh well. My sister in law asked when I started carrying and I told her that every time she and the others had seen me over the last 2 or so years I was carrying. She didn't believe me. I got about the same reaction from my family. When I see guys dressed like me I try to see if they are carrying. I have not been been able to do it yet. So, even if someone is looking, my method of concealment works. I have a couple of friends who know that I carry and even they are surprised that they can't spot me.

I just thought it might be interesting to discuss what method of dress works for those of who carry. By the way, to the guy who mentioned that stuff like cell phones end up in a shirt pocket, I have broken two cell phones this way while bending over. Stuff in shirt pockets tend to end up on the ground.

VIP Member
    Faded Glory T-shirts in black, dark brown, khaki and light green provide the best cover and least printing of any T's I have tried. Blues, red and camo patterns, not quite as well, but still adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by cz223 View Post

The Vest that I found is made of cotton duck and is sort of sage green in color. It was apparently designed as hunting/field vest as it has a large zippered pocket in the back either for birds or maps. It has a large flap covered pocket on either side which is fastened with Velcro. It has a regular breast pocket on the left side that is also fastened with Velcro. The pocket on the right however has a vertical zipper. This pocket might be a good place for one of my LCP's or spare mags.

It also has an inside pocket on the left hand side. Between the two large main pockets there is plenty of room for a flashlight, spare knife, mags and even a BUG. The back zippered pouch can be used for band-aids, TP, a copy of my CWP and any other documents that I might need to carry. The bad news is that I think this vest is not being made any more or I would tell you guys where to get one. If you have any piece of clothing that you think is great for concealment, let others know about it.
    I believe that's what's referred to as a "Shoot me first" vest. :D

I wear heavy cotton T-shirts in dark colors at work and have no problem concealing AIWB. Outside of work (where I don't have to bend over all the time) I can wear the same thing and conceal IWB at 3:30-4:00.

give appendix carry a try, I was all ways a 3 o'clock guy but I've seen the light, well for me at leat, I make a glock 21 disappear every day and the draw is quicke to center line and I can draw and shoot with off hand if need arose
    tcox4freedom likes this.

I carry owb and usually just polo shirt for a cover garment. now it's cool enough for jackets :)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranastas View Post
    give appendix carry a try, I was all ways a 3 o'clock guy but I've seen the light, well for me at leat, I make a glock 21 disappear every day and the draw is quicke to center line and I can draw and shoot with off hand if need arose
    As a firm adherent to the three rules of firearms safety, I have never been able to resign myself to giving appendix a try. Your observation about off-hand draw is valid, tho, and my only complaint with the 3:00-5:00 carry positions.

A double strap sholder holster from ultra conceal carry works for me they make two types full size and med i carry a Gov. mdl. Colt 380.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links