Another Idiot With Road Rage - Page 2

Another Idiot With Road Rage

This is a discussion on Another Idiot With Road Rage within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Unfortunately we do not have keep right unless passing laws in Fl, Al, Ga. This causes a lot of road rage and traffic fatalities....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Another Idiot With Road Rage

Unfortunately we do not have keep right unless passing laws in Fl, Al, Ga. This causes a lot of road rage and traffic fatalities.
    Last edited by mwhich50; October 2nd, 2011 at 09:00 PM.
    tcon67 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    noway2 - you are right. There is no "keep right" law in NC. Most drivers know that, and choose any lane regardless of their speed. You learn to be patient.

Personally, I have no idea how your mom can hear a "pretty rough cussing" while blasting down a highway at 70 mph. If you don't want to hear some loon screaming at you, roll up your window and turn on peaceful music. I have learned to stay out of the way of crazies. I ride a motorcycle as well, and am unwilling to expose myself to danger to make a point.

Cursing and rude gestures are so middle school. I just laugh off angry people. They are wasting their energy and their lives on stuff that simply doesn't matter.

BTW - you take your mom with you to the tattoo parlor?
    Thanks, I didn't notice that the first time.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

I dont care what the laws are...the left lane is a passing lane. It is discourteous to park out there, doesnt matter how fast you are going. If someone comes up behind you, you get over when you can and let them pass.

If they're going faster than you, why do you care? They'll be gone in a minute.

(Sorry if I'm piling on, but obviously the responses here show that it is something that annoys people. Granted, it is nothing that warrants unsafe driving or road rage.)

Edit: BTW, I 'liked' all the posts that referred to this, however there were so many that I quit clicking it. But I 'like' them all.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

I commute on an Interstate every day and often find myself doing 80 + mph in the left lane.

When someone comes up behind going like blazes
    I JUST PULL OVER

tcon67, smolck and ep1953 like this.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

While there is no excuse for the guy the the trailing car's behavior. The OP needs to learn to stay in the right lane except when passing. To expect cars to pass on the right is an unsafe practice.

Furthermore, if you have some nutcase "after" you for the love of all that is holy don't step out of your car to confront them. Stay in the car and pull away if possible. Just my 2 cents.
    9MMare and MadMac like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhich50 View Post
    Unfortunately we do not have keep left unless passing laws in Fl, Al, Ga. This causes a lot of road rage and traffic fatalities.
    There are frequent "Slower traffic keep right" signs on the interstates.
    tcon67 and baren like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Stop giving Bubba's a bad name.

Senior Moderator
    Honestly, I don't care what lane you were in.

Yeah, people who are driving slow in the left lane irritate me when I come up behind them but that doesn't give me an excuse to get irate and irresponsible with my driving. Either you go around or wait for them to move over or whatever.

It's not my job to try to get you to move or show you how ticked off I am. If there are "slower traffic keep right" laws then they are to be enforced by law enforcement, not me in my civilian car.

Your driving is inconsequential, in my finite opinion.

The part of your story I have a problem with follows:

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaShide View Post
    So, about a week ago i was cruising up the mountain to the town right outside of mine to check up on some tires i had ordered and set an appointment with the tattoo shop for a final touch up on a tat i had got there a few months back.

I came up to the tattoo shop and put on my signal to turn and this moron flipped his on too and pulled in. I got out of my truck with my gun hidden in the front pocket of my overalls. I am a pretty big ole boy and he was a little tiny twerp so i guess i intimidated him. I really thought i was going to have to pull my gun and was praying i didn't have to. I guess i was blessed that day cause once he seen me we didn't even exchange words and he left. I hate having that feeling that i may have to shoot someone in defense but i am very thankful for my 2nd amendment right to have one handy if i do need it. That day scared me and i hope i never have to feel that way again but i am glad in knowing that i am prepared if i have too be.
    Personally, I'd NEVER stop with someone so enraged following me. You are almost inviting more trouble if you stop and he follows you. You almost immediately escalate things, especially when both parties get out of their vehicles.

First, I wouldn't even pull into a parking lot. It traps me and my options.

If I DID pull into a parking lot and the individual in question followed I would immediately try to drive out again and hopefully lose him.

NEVER would I stop and if I had a lapse in judgement or happened to have a vehicular malfunction that forced me to stop I wouldn't get out of my car.

If someone is following you (especially if they are angry) the best thing to do is keep moving in your vehicle and try to lose or deescalate the situation with courteous driving. Call the police if you think it's getting out of hand. Get over, give them room, and then take a few loops around the block, drive to a police station, etc, etc.

Don't corner yourself. Don't stop. And DO NOT get out of your car unless you have no choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Bubba, is there no "Keep Right Except to Pass" law in Alabama?
    Oh how I wish!!!! People drive slow in the fast lane around here ALL THE TIME! It is so annoying. If you want to go slow, GET OVER AND GO SLOW!

That said, had "bubba the slow" shot the man, he would have been in jail. If you willingly pull over, step out of your vehicle, and have a gun you are bringing the fight to the other guy and that is murder or manslaughter.

I am not defending the angry motorist, but you cannot actively engage a person when you are toting a gun, PERIOD.
    Last edited by limatunes; October 2nd, 2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: language

There is no easy answer to a person experiencing Road Rage. The OP did reach his destination and the rager decided to follow into the parking lot to continue the incident. He could just as easily drove on. Why would the OP have to flee as he came to his intended destination? The rager is the one with the problem and got the "answer" when Ol' Hoss OP stepped out of his vehicle, in the place he intended to be. Me, I believe the rager had no business following the OP and is the one who needed to leave post haste.

Buddy and me had similar situation a few years back. Guy in left lane and buddy "flashes" his lights to pass. Guy in car decides he didn't like that and tries to run us into a semi tractor trailer as my buddy passes said idiot just barely missing the truck. I got part of his license number and we got off the next exit to call the State Police, couldn't get a cell signal at that moment so we were going to go to a convenience store and use their phone.

The idiot follows us off the Interstate and tries to ram us in the off ramp so my buddy pulls off to let this jerk go on. Oh, no, he doesn't. He stops, gets out and comes up to us. He sucker punches my friend as he gets out to see what the matter was.

My buddy is 6', weighs 275 lbs, is a weight lifter and suffers from bi-polar syndrome. His "bi-polar" issue kicks in and he clocks this coward for sucker punching him. Hit so hard, he gets knocked to the ground and tries to tackle my buddy who stands there, unmovable. I got out to keep the other occupants from jumping on my buddy and they were screaming at us not to put a beat down on this guy.

Long story short. Guy gets back in his car and disappears and we continue on. Yes, it was not a good idea to get out of the car, but that's what happend and the jerk got what he deserved. Probably saved his life too. The next guy that this jerk-face encounters may not be so "benevolent" and might just gut-shoot him and let the police clean up the mess.

Road ragers should be an endangered species and whatever happens to them in a confrontation is just too bad.
    tcon67 likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    The guy was a twerp any way you look at it.

If I'm in a situation similar to this & I see a vehicle catching up to mine, if there is room to move right I will do so before speedy catches up to me. In a situation where I cannot move right without slowing down (I'm usually slightly above the speed limit), then he's gotta deal with traffic just like me.

When people act like this jerk (the twerp) did, I'm going to reduce speed to meet the posted limit as well, maybe even blinking my brake lights if I can't see his headlights in my rearview mirror. I'll move to the right when it's safe to do so, keeping an eye on the genius until we part ways.

I had a guy pull something similar on me recently (we were transitioning from one highway to another, mind you) & when I was getting off at my exit, he started to follow. He veered off at the last second while trying to wave his IQ finger at me as he did so - what a maroon. Condition orange ended.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    There is no easy answer to a person experiencing Road Rage. The OP did reach his destination and the rager decided to follow into the parking lot to continue the incident. He could just as easily drove on. Why would the OP have to flee as he came to his intended destination? ....
    It's not fleeing, it's just being smart and deescalating/avoiding. Yeah, you can decide to stand on principles of "not letting anyone push you around" and pull in and get out of your car and the guy decides to run you down or just ram you with his car once you've parked. There are a lot of things that can go wrong by stopping.. sure there are things that can go wrong by keeping moving but at least you aren't going toe-to-toe with someone.

I know the "macho man" guys might disagree with me but I'd rather drive around, get a license plate number and possibly lose the guy then put myself toe-to-toe with him in a parking lot. Silly me, I know.

The idiot follows us off the Interstate and tries to ram us in the off ramp so my buddy pulls off to let this jerk go on. Oh, no, he doesn't. He stops, gets out and comes up to us. He sucker punches my friend as he gets out to see what the matter was.

My buddy is 6', weighs 275 lbs, is a weight lifter and suffers from bi-polar syndrome. His "bi-polar" issue kicks in and he clocks this coward for sucker punching him. Hit so hard, he gets knocked to the ground and tries to tackle my buddy who stands there, unmovable. I got out to keep the other occupants from jumping on my buddy and they were screaming at us not to put a beat down on this guy.
    So, what if it was your 5'3" 105 lbs wife with her baby in the car who got sucker punched instead of 6' tall, bi-polar, weight lifter? What if the "rager" (as you call him) is someone who is TRYING to get someone to pull over so he can just walk up, incapacitate them and abduct, kill, torture, etc?

Granted, most of us here are armed and have a pretty good fighting chance, but it's always been said that a gun should not make you more bold than if you didn't have a gun. I would not go toe-to-toe with an enraged driver unarmed, why should I be willing to do it just because I have a gun? If I can avoid and deescalate through missing my destination by 5-10 minutes of additional driving then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Road ragers should be an endangered species and whatever happens to them in a confrontation is just too bad.
    Please keep in mind that the law will not see it that way and if you act on that, your satisfaction will be short-lived.

And please dont use a gun because it endangers all our 2-A rights.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Oh how I wish!!!! People drive slow in the fast lane around here ALL THE TIME! It is so annoying. If you want to go slow, GET OVER AND GO SLOW!

That said, had "bubba the slow" shot the man, he would have been in jail. If you willingly pull over, step out of your vehicle, and have a gun you are bringing the fight to the other guy and that is murder or manslaughter.

I am not defending the angry motorist, but you cannot actively engage a person when you are toting a gun, PERIOD.
    While this may be true if you "just pull over and stop", it doesn't apply in this case. He had reached his intended destination, so stopping and getting out of his vehicle with a legally carried gun is a normal act.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Apparently my post was a bit missinterpreted. I really do not advocate confronting, injuring or killing a road rager. It seems as if a bit of reading more into my post might be there. Sometimes though confrontation may be the only answer, it just depends on all the facts at hand.

First off, when the road rager pulls into the lot where the OP was, there is already a confrontation in progress. The rager has begun it. Will just driving off to descalate the situation work? Maybe, maybe not. As I have said about other road rage incidents, no two are exctly alike and we all will take whatever measure we can to stop it. Yes, that includes staying in your vehicle or leaving the scene. Yet, that doesn't always work.

Secondly, a road rager is now responsible for his/her own actions. If they get injured or killed while in the middle of their rage, then it is their fault for bringing it upon themselves. I feel no sorrow for a rager, period. There are no excuses for behaviour like that at all. So, yes if my "endangered species" thing was interpreted as a go-ahead to kill someone, then you read it wrong. It just may be the consequences for that rage and if it happens, then who is to blame?

I certainly hope I do not encounter a road rager where I have to use a firearm or other weapon to fend them off.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links