Another Idiot With Road Rage

This is a discussion on Another Idiot With Road Rage within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JoJoGunn Apparently my post was a bit missinterpreted. I really do not advocate confronting, injuring or killing a road rager. It seems ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Another Idiot With Road Rage

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Apparently my post was a bit missinterpreted. I really do not advocate confronting, injuring or killing a road rager. It seems as if a bit of reading more into my post might be there. Sometimes though confrontation may be the only answer, it just depends on all the facts at hand.

First off, when the road rager pulls into the lot where the OP was, there is already a confrontation in progress. The rager has begun it. Will just driving off to descalate the situation work? Maybe, maybe not. As I have said about other road rage incidents, no two are exctly alike and we all will take whatever measure we can to stop it. Yes, that includes staying in your vehicle or leaving the scene. Yet, that doesn't always work.

Secondly, a road rager is now responsible for his/her own actions. If they get injured or killed while in the middle of their rage, then it is their fault for bringing it upon themselves. I feel no sorrow for a rager, period. There are no excuses for behaviour like that at all. So, yes if my "endangered species" thing was interpreted as a go-ahead to kill someone, then you read it wrong. It just may be the consequences for that rage and if it happens, then who is to blame?

I certainly hope I do not encounter a road rager where I have to use a firearm or other weapon to fend them off.
    No, that's not what I meant. And from this post, I can see you didnt understand mine.

I was talking about consequences to you, not the other party.

I think that you need to understand more about 'escalation' and the use of a firearm in a conflict in which you have contributed to the situation....whether you initiated it or someone else did.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I dont care what the laws are...the left lane is a passing lane. It is discourteous to park out there, doesnt matter how fast you are going. If someone comes up behind you, you get over when you can and let them pass.

If they're going faster than you, why do you care? They'll be gone in a minute.

(Sorry if I'm piling on, but obviously the responses here show that it is something that annoys people. Granted, it is nothing that warrants unsafe driving or road rage.)

Edit: BTW, I 'liked' all the posts that referred to this, however there were so many that I quit clicking it. But I 'like' them all.
    I agree with this...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Really, sign or no sign, law or no law, what the heck ever happened to that most basic premise of driving:

Stay to the Right.

I see people on any multilane roadway, they gotta, just gotta, get over in the leftmost lane whether they need to or not. Why?
    tcon67, 9MMare, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare
    I think that you need to understand more about 'escalation' and the use of a firearm in a conflict in which you have contributed to the situation....whether you initiated it or someone else did.
    I could make the same statement to you. The subjective nature of the interpretation of "escalate" leaves very broad boundaries of what it might encompass.

In an incident such as road rage, presumably your driving is what initiated it, so your continued driving might be considered escalation.

Taken to its extreme, your continued existence could be considered escalation.

I do not see the attempted continuation of your business/chores/etc, even if that involves stopping, as escalation. Any escalation in that case, will come from the original instigator. That is considerably different than stopping on the side of the road, specifically, for the purpose of ending the situation, which could easily be considered escalation.

I reject the idea that anything less than flight is escalation.
    JoJoGunn, chiefjason and EdC like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I could make the same statement to you. The subjective nature of the interpretation of "escalate" leaves very broad boundaries of what it might encompass.

In an incident such as road rage, presumably your driving is what initiated it, so your continued driving might be considered escalation.

Taken to its extreme, your continued existence could be considered escalation.

I do not see the attempted continuation of your business/chores/etc, even if that involves stopping, as escalation. Any escalation in that case, will come from the original instigator. That is considerably different than stopping on the side of the road, specifically, for the purpose of ending the situation, which could easily be considered escalation.

I reject the idea that anything less than flight is escalation.
    What I read in that original post was that there was aggression on both parts on the road eventually (altho OP didnt initiate), and then OP got out and approached other driver. Or at least confronted.

Going to your destination is fine, but if they follow you, it's kind of stupid to think that they wont confront you when you get there. If I couldnt get inside immediately where there were other people, I would continue on to a police station or similar.

Because if there was ANY back and forth involved during the driving, conflict, etc....IMO a jury will have the ammo they need to say that you 'escalated' that situation. I'm not saying I agree...I'm saying that very well could be the legal interpretation of it.
    Ishmael likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I don't doubt that any inappropriate actions in such an incident would be considered. Barring those, I don't consider the execution of a scheduled stop as one.

Should you be able to enter a location with other people, while you may have witnesses to what occurs, that does not guarantee that the aggressor will not continue his aggression.

Likewise, arriving at a police station does not guarantee that there will officers outside the location to control the situation, nor that you will be able to enter the station before being confronted by the aggressor.

There are no pat answers. There is no way of knowing what a jury may think/decide, regardless of what your actions were.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Your post reeks of pranksterism, Bubba.
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by tcon67 View Post
    Dont be in the left lane unless you are going with the flow of traffic. Doesnt matter if that flow is 50mph or 100, if youre holding traffic up in the left lane move over.
    Got to go with this on driveing bit.

The rage and cussing at mom way out of line glad it worked at for the better

Here in Idaho they have the law, keep right unless passing, but most of the roads here were i live are only two lanes but there are also passing lanes and many areas were you can pass slower vehicles and trucks. The speed limit is 65 mph which is plenty fast enough for this two lane highway, but i usually set my cruise control at 66-67 mph, but sometimes I will get someone behind me that rides my bumper and eventually goes around me at 70 + mph. But the funny thing is when you pass them a few miles up the road because the highway patrol has pulled them over. Im not going to get a ticket because someone else is in a hurry, and if they get pissed off thats to bad.

Is staying in the left lane, just to tick off the guy behind, escalation?
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Get out of the left lane!

Everyone else has pretty much summed it up already.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    One thing that I would really like to see, though it would be difficult from a practical standpoint, is required training pulling a trailer. This is one of those things that until you have done it, you can't and won't appreciate and understand the difficulties associated with it. Whenever I have been driving and pulling my travel trailer, it seems like the "double dumb ass" switch gets thrown in every other vehicle and their number one, overriding concern is simply to get in front of me no matter what, even if it is to go 10 mph slower than I was. I strongly suspect that truck drivers have the same or at least a very similar experience. The fact is that when you are pulling something, especially something that weighs more than your vehicle, your vehicle moves like a pregnant cow, and you have pretty much lost the ability to see and determine distances behind and beside you. Unless you have experienced this first hand, it is unlikely that you will even understand what the other person is dealing with and realize that they aren't necessarily trying to be a raging corn hole. (Note, I once had to make a panic stop because of someone who was hell bent on getting ahead of me while pulling a trailer just to make a left hand turn. Believe me, it was almost time for new underwear and there wasn't a thing I could do about it).

As far as dealing with aggressive drivers, I typically set my cruise control at 'my speed' which is about 71 mph in a 65 zone, which is typically faster than some and slower than just as many, or about average. If I notice someone coming up behind me, I will try to go right, if I am able, but I don't generally alter my speed just to accommodate them. If I sense that I am coming up on a slower moving vehicle, I may temporarily accelerate to get around them and then resume 'my speed'. I also try to make judicious use of my blinker as one of the things that I have found, or realized, is that unexpected maneuvers are exponentially more like to incite rage than expected ones because they can cause an acute sense of panic in other drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    While this may be true if you "just pull over and stop", it doesn't apply in this case. He had reached his intended destination, so stopping and getting out of his vehicle with a legally carried gun is a normal act.
    Sure. But if you are carrying a gun and you are in an incident like this, merely re-routing to your destination or continuing on when you see the road rager following is a wise choice to avoid killing someone. Especially when you sort of had a hand in the escalation.
    limatunes and MadMac like this.

Especially when you sort of had a hand in the escalation.
    This is extremely significant and the reason to not interact with a rager in a manner that could be readily seen as provocative.

When I imagine situations in which I would need to defend my life, road rage is not one of them. You typically have a multitude of opportunities to avoid lethal confrontation including staying in your vehicle until the antagonist has gotten bored and left, or the police have arrived. If you do apply lethal force you may end up being the one accused of (passive/agressive) road rage.
    9MMare, MadMac and smolck like this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links