Another Idiot With Road Rage

This is a discussion on Another Idiot With Road Rage within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Guantes I don't doubt that any inappropriate actions in such an incident would be considered. Barring those, I don't consider the execution ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Another Idiot With Road Rage

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I don't doubt that any inappropriate actions in such an incident would be considered. Barring those, I don't consider the execution of a scheduled stop as one.

Should you be able to enter a location with other people, while you may have witnesses to what occurs, that does not guarantee that the aggressor will not continue his aggression.

Likewise, arriving at a police station does not guarantee that there will officers outside the location to control the situation, nor that you will be able to enter the station before being confronted by the aggressor.

There are no pat answers. There is no way of knowing what a jury may think/decide, regardless of what your actions were.
    I realize that, I'm just playing the odds.

Confronting such a person...would be lower down on that list for me. In terms of survival and the courts.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    This thread reminded me of this case Road Rage Victim, Suspect Meet In Court
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Well i wasnt implying that i was totally in the right here. Where i am from the road i was on has been under construction and the road signs say to use the left lane unless you are turning to the right. Up there is kind of a messed up situation. And, yes i do take my mom to the tattoo parlor lol. We are both disabled and when i am out and about i pick her up and get her out of her house. Nobody wants to see there mother pinned up in a house 24/7 doing nothing but watching tv. But yeah the guy was having a bad day or something and i probably did take his bait by not moving for him. We did roll up the windows to ignore him and at that point other traffic was coming up on us so i proceeded to the tattoo shop. I figured it was over by then but he pulled in behind me. I am a pretty good size guy and had no idea that, that alone would be enough to calm the situation. The reason i immediately think of my weapon is because i am disabled as well. I have degenerative disk and joint disease in my back and neck and i can't defend myself should the situation escalate to that. I know none of this excuses my behavior and i should have just let him pass and forgot about it. We all make mistakes though. I don't look at myself as a hothead but i just don't like being pushed around nor will i tolerate someone treating my mother that way. It all played into the situation and just made things worse but it is done and in the past. Didn't mean to make anyone here mad by posting this i was just starting my first conversation and im already off on a bad foot :( Hopefully ill be forgiven and learn from this now that i have others opinions and i am still welcome here ???

Bubba
    Firearms - A passion you can really enjoy, and if ya keep your head up outta your butt you can enjoy it for many years to come - Will (Red Jacket Firearms)

That was you? My bad again. If I keep this up Mods may have to move this to members metting place. J/K

Welcome to the forum, Bubba, ( a bit on the late side.)

This is a "discussion" of a particular situation you were involved with, what took place, the outcome, and "what have we learned, if nothing else."

There will be those who will comment on how you or they would have handled the situation, what you should or should not have done, yada, yada. Everyone has and is entitled to an opinion. It will be up to you to sift through them and gain something from all of it.

There are loads of good suggestions, and arm-chair quarter-backing from the guys and gals here, but believe me, I have gained a whole truck load of knowledge in just the short time I have been a member of DC.

I hope you too will do the same. Stay safe, it's a crazy world out there!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Drive safe (and courteous)
    Drive smart (have a plan)
    Ignore idiots
    Keep your emotions in check
    Use paragraphs
    ep1953 likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    As far as keeping right goes, in NC there is no keep right law. If I recall correctly, the law is that you are allowed to be an any of the normal travel lanes, with the rule being to not exceed the speed limit.
    It's not a "law" anywhere (we are talking about speeders after all). It's just the custom, stay right for people who want to go faster than you do. Better to let them pass and just move along to their multi-car pileup ahead, without involving you.

Some people on this thread are missing Lima's and other's point about not escalating. They are not trying to say that it is fair that the OP should have to drive on and miss his appointment, and you shouldn't look at it like the road rager "won" if this happens. They are just saying that, the way things happened, room was left for a zealous prosecutor to make the following speech to a jury:

"Then, the accused—who was armed with a handgun—swung into the parking lot and jumped from his truck, his hand on his gun, itching to get a chance to use it. When the victim—a lay minister, a decorated war veteran, and a father of four, who was simply hurrying to the hospital to comfort his best friend, as he lay dying of cancer—exited his vehicle, the accused saw his opportunity to commit the act that we have shown he had long fantasized about."

In the OP's scenario, there was one pretty good way of making sure that such a speech would never be made: not pulling into the parking lot, and not exiting the vehicle. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Some people on this thread are missing Lima's and other's point about not escalating. They are not trying to say that it is fair that the OP should have to drive on and miss his appointment, and you shouldn't look at it like the road rager "won" if this happens. They are just saying that, the way things happened, room was left for a zealous prosecutor to make the following speech to a jury:

"Then, the accused—who was armed with a handgun—swung into the parking lot and jumped from his truck, his hand on his gun, itching to get a chance to use it. When the victim—a lay minister, a decorated war veteran, and a father of four, who was simply hurrying to the hospital to comfort his best friend, as he lay dying of cancer—exited his vehicle, the accused saw his opportunity to commit the act that we have shown he had long fantasized about."

In the OP's scenario, there was one pretty good way of making sure that such a speech would never be made: not pulling into the parking lot, and not exiting the vehicle. That's all.
    No I think we all perfectly understand about not continuing or escalating an already bad situation, I do not nor do others here advocate confronting anyone in a rage. Yes, it will be a lose/lose situation.

The OP stated that this moron followed him to the place he was supposed to be. Road Rage person could have just gone on and not continued, but made the choice to confront and therefore the OP had little choice. What if the rager followed the OP to his home? You still think he has a duty to retreat? Would he be justified in that situation or should he just leave to avoid further confrontation? While your scenario is a real possibility, it seems unlikely.

I think the road rager wanted confrontation. His actions determined it and he got what he asked for. Lucky for him, he didn't lose his life over acting stupid.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Welcome to the forum, Bubba, ( a bit on the late side.)

This is a "discussion" of a particular situation you were involved with, what took place, the outcome, and "what have we learned, if nothing else."

There will be those who will comment on how you or they would have handled the situation, what you should or should not have done, yada, yada. Everyone has and is entitled to an opinion. It will be up to you to sift through them and gain something from all of it.

There are loads of good suggestions, and arm-chair quarter-backing from the guys and gals here, but believe me, I have gained a whole truck load of knowledge in just the short time I have been a member of DC.

I hope you too will do the same. Stay safe, it's a crazy world out there!
    Not sure who posted the quote above but thank you. Not sure if i even quoted it right lol.

Yes there are a lot of variables that could have or should have happened but the one thing i know for sure is when you are put in this situation in a real life scenario you are not always thinking 100% clearly. You raise a good point about it being a learning experience. I have read all of the comments and i will be walking away with a lesson learned. I need not buy into road rage or any other dangerous situation just simply because i do not want to be pushed around.

Pulling into the right lane (that was under construction and very un level) would have been dangerous for me to do in a tall 4x4 at that speed but i should have flipped on my blinker and slowed to a safe speed and just got out of his way. I have a strong feeling that that wouldn't have ended it though with his level of rage.

I should have stayed in my truck at the tattoo shop and called the law and let them come deal with the idiot rather than getting out and going toe to toe but i do want y'all to know i didn't go approach him at his car. I just got out for the main reason that my mother who is defenseless was still sitting in the truck and i wanted the attention off of her location and on myself. Had it escalated i would have had to deal with the legal fall out but i would have known i did all i could do at that point (taking into consideration that i was dumb enough to pull in rather than keep going) to remove my Mother from the danger. it could be said to that had i not been the only one with a gun and it went to that extreme i could have easily been shot allowing the attacker to move on to my mother or other targets.

At the end of the day there were mistakes made that could have really cost me in the end. I walk away from this with more knowledge about keeping myself safe and my attitude in check. Criticism like this is what i needed to learn from my mistake and i thank each of you for your opinions and knowledge. It is important that we all learn from each other to better defend our self and our 2nd Amendment rights. And, yes it is a crazy world the last thing we need is someone like me setting the example that legal carriers are "trigger happy" nuts.

I am not to big a man to admit that i was in the wrong as well as the rager. More people should except criticism and learn from it !
    Thunder71, JoJoGunn, EdC and 1 others like this.
    Firearms - A passion you can really enjoy, and if ya keep your head up outta your butt you can enjoy it for many years to come - Will (Red Jacket Firearms)

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    As far as keeping right goes, in NC there is no keep right law. If I recall correctly, the law is that you are allowed to be an any of the normal travel lanes, with the rule being to not exceed the speed limit.
    Not true; "Keep to the right, use the left lane(s) for passing;"

Reference: Page 62 - NC Drivers Handbook - http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/ha...DL_English.pdf

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    And, a rager does not necessarily have to be armed with a gun...

Man uses bow and arrow in road rage incident | wzzm13.com
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Title of this thread should be...

Another Idiot CAUSES Road Rage

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Title of this thread should be...

Another Idiot CAUSES Road Rage
    That could be true F350... But hey i did at least learn from it ! I don't think im an idiot though lol

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bds9009 View Post
    Not true; "Keep to the right, use the left lane(s) for passing;"
    Reference: Page 62 - NC Drivers Handbook - http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/ha...DL_English.pdf
    According to state statute GS_20-146 sections b and e (GS_20-146), you are not required to 'keep right' if you are going the speed limit. From the state's website:
    Upon all highways any vehicle proceeding at less than the legal maximum speed limit shall be driven in the right‑hand lane then available for thru traffic, or as close as practicable to the right‑hand curb or edge of the highway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn.
    Section e basically says the same thing, clarifying that it applies when signs saying "slower traffic keep right" are posted.
    Here is a good reference from MIT that summarizes the 'keep right' law in all states: State "keep right" laws

I also remember this being an issue that was addressed in the media not too many years ago and the verdict being that if they are going the posted limit, that they are not required to keep right but free to use all available travel lanes.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links