Another Idiot With Road Rage - Page 5

Another Idiot With Road Rage

This is a discussion on Another Idiot With Road Rage within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BubbaShide Not sure who posted the quote above but thank you. Not sure if i even quoted it right lol. Yes there ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 89
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Another Idiot With Road Rage

  1. #61
    Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Orlando,Fl
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaShide View Post
    Not sure who posted the quote above but thank you. Not sure if i even quoted it right lol.

    Yes there are a lot of variables that could have or should have happened but the one thing i know for sure is when you are put in this situation in a real life scenario you are not always thinking 100% clearly. You raise a good point about it being a learning experience. I have read all of the comments and i will be walking away with a lesson learned. I need not buy into road rage or any other dangerous situation just simply because i do not want to be pushed around.

    Pulling into the right lane (that was under construction and very un level) would have been dangerous for me to do in a tall 4x4 at that speed but i should have flipped on my blinker and slowed to a safe speed and just got out of his way. I have a strong feeling that that wouldn't have ended it though with his level of rage.

    I should have stayed in my truck at the tattoo shop and called the law and let them come deal with the idiot rather than getting out and going toe to toe but i do want y'all to know i didn't go approach him at his car. I just got out for the main reason that my mother who is defenseless was still sitting in the truck and i wanted the attention off of her location and on myself. Had it escalated i would have had to deal with the legal fall out but i would have known i did all i could do at that point (taking into consideration that i was dumb enough to pull in rather than keep going) to remove my Mother from the danger. it could be said to that had i not been the only one with a gun and it went to that extreme i could have easily been shot allowing the attacker to move on to my mother or other targets.

    At the end of the day there were mistakes made that could have really cost me in the end. I walk away from this with more knowledge about keeping myself safe and my attitude in check. Criticism like this is what i needed to learn from my mistake and i thank each of you for your opinions and knowledge. It is important that we all learn from each other to better defend our self and our 2nd Amendment rights. And, yes it is a crazy world the last thing we need is someone like me setting the example that legal carriers are "trigger happy" nuts.

    I am not to big a man to admit that i was in the wrong as well as the rager. More people should except criticism and learn from it !
    Excellent thinking Bubba,Well Said!!!.


  2. #62
    Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    COLORADO AMERICAN
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    One thing that I would really like to see, though it would be difficult from a practical standpoint, is required training pulling a trailer. This is one of those things that until you have done it, you can't and won't appreciate and understand the difficulties associated with it. Whenever I have been driving and pulling my travel trailer, it seems like the "double dumb ass" switch gets thrown in every other vehicle and their number one, overriding concern is simply to get in front of me no matter what, even if it is to go 10 mph slower than I was. I strongly suspect that truck drivers have the same or at least a very similar experience. The fact is that when you are pulling something, especially something that weighs more than your vehicle, your vehicle moves like a pregnant cow, and you have pretty much lost the ability to see and determine distances behind and beside you. Unless you have experienced this first hand, it is unlikely that you will even understand what the other person is dealing with and realize that they aren't necessarily trying to be a raging corn hole. (Note, I once had to make a panic stop because of someone who was hell bent on getting ahead of me while pulling a trailer just to make a left hand turn. Believe me, it was almost time for new underwear and there wasn't a thing I could do about it).

    As far as dealing with aggressive drivers, I typically set my cruise control at 'my speed' which is about 71 mph in a 65 zone, which is typically faster than some and slower than just as many, or about average. If I notice someone coming up behind me, I will try to go right, if I am able, but I don't generally alter my speed just to accommodate them. If I sense that I am coming up on a slower moving vehicle, I may temporarily accelerate to get around them and then resume 'my speed'. I also try to make judicious use of my blinker as one of the things that I have found, or realized, is that unexpected maneuvers are exponentially more like to incite rage than expected ones because they can cause an acute sense of panic in other drivers.


    Yeah thats just what we need more Government regulations and hoops to jump through. NO! Just practice and be smart about it. You can't regulate everything but thats kind of the the direction we are headed. I'd like to see more training on parenting, financial planning, work ethic, etc. It would be never ending just take responisbility for your self and your actions and hope others do the same.
    wmhawth likes this.

  3. #63
    VIP Member Array gottabkiddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    7,071
    Here come's my .02 cents.... So get ready to give me a butt chewing too..


    If I'm in the far left lane, and the speed limit is 65 MPH, and I'm doing my usual of 75 to 80 MPH and you ride up on my but and expect me to move outa your way... Good luck! You might find yourself in the ditch, or the wall. My tax dollars helped pay for that road and I'll travel in what ever lane I want and as long as I want. "Courtesy" my butt. The idiot could have shown just as much courtesy by passing in the empty lane instead of verbally assualting the gentleman and his mother, because he didn't yield to the freak.

    Here's a little clue ladies and gents.. There isn't the German Autobahn anywhere in the states that I'm aware of, if so, please enlighten me. The "slower traffic keep right" law is not meant to allow super speeders to hassle normal folks that travel just a few miles over the speed limit to get the hell outa their way so they can travel at excessive speeds and endanger other motorist with their bad judgement. I can't believe how many folks in this thread came down on this guy.... Bubba, if it was me. I might have put a darn good scare in the little punks butt for cussing my mother and putting our lives in danger when he decided to follow me to my destination, all because he wanted to speed and be a jerk.. I say you did good! Just because we carry guns for protection does not mean that we need to be cowards and cringe at the sight and presence of idiots and morons. And to those that say, "We weren't cowards, we were using better judgment" Sure, but again I'll put this out there for all to read... Bad things happen when good men do nothing. I guess each of us have to decide if we fall into that category. The "good men" one that is. By you allowing this punk to get away with this kinda stuff you actually empower him even more.. His next victim might be some little old lady, or someones wife with her children in the vehicle and he goes just a tad bit farther this time and kills someone.....

    Anyway, have at it. Tell me how I'm this and that, and what ever, but if you're ever in Atlanta and going North of 400 at around 4:30/5:00 and come up on a silver I30 in the left lane doing 75 to 80MPH and he won't yield to you.....


    Stay calm and pass to the right and everything will be just dandy.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

  4. #64
    VIP Member
    Array Saber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona
    Posts
    2,591
    Currently, my pithy 2.0t VW Passat isn't anything but slow as they come. I just move over and let the speed wizards fly on by. Then again, my insurance coverage and rates are very hard to beat!
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

  5. #65
    VIP Member Array smolck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    3,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    It's not a "law" anywhere
    It is in Germany on the Autobahn, and if you are caught in the left lane and the only thing you are passing is time, you receive a HEFTY ticket. Since our interstate system was based off the Autobahn, I think it should be law here too.

  6. #66
    Senior Member Array Bubbiesdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    1,081
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaShide View Post
    Well i wasnt implying that i was totally in the right here. Where i am from the road i was on has been under construction and the road signs say to use the left lane unless you are turning to the right. Up there is kind of a messed up situation. And, yes i do take my mom to the tattoo parlor lol. We are both disabled and when i am out and about i pick her up and get her out of her house. Nobody wants to see there mother pinned up in a house 24/7 doing nothing but watching tv. But yeah the guy was having a bad day or something and i probably did take his bait by not moving for him. We did roll up the windows to ignore him and at that point other traffic was coming up on us so i proceeded to the tattoo shop. I figured it was over by then but he pulled in behind me. I am a pretty good size guy and had no idea that, that alone would be enough to calm the situation. The reason i immediately think of my weapon is because i am disabled as well. I have degenerative disk and joint disease in my back and neck and i can't defend myself should the situation escalate to that. I know none of this excuses my behavior and i should have just let him pass and forgot about it. We all make mistakes though. I don't look at myself as a hothead but i just don't like being pushed around nor will i tolerate someone treating my mother that way. It all played into the situation and just made things worse but it is done and in the past. Didn't mean to make anyone here mad by posting this i was just starting my first conversation and im already off on a bad foot :( Hopefully ill be forgiven and learn from this now that i have others opinions and i am still welcome here ???


    Bubba
    Thank you for the update. It puts the situation in a different light. For me at least.

    Stay safe. Always carry, never tell.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

  7. #67
    Member Array b52ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Summerfield, FL
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Thank you for the update. It puts the situation in a different light. For me at least.

    Stay safe. Always carry, never tell.
    +1 Adds a great deal of clarity.
    "Evil prospers when good men and women do nothing" - British citizen

  8. #68
    Member Array rably's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    50
    I'm not going to kick a dead horse or beat on Bubba - there have been many useful posts in this thread that can give us all something to think about in this type scenario. However, my personal opinion regarding left lane...

    The general convention is to stay to the right unless you are passing and I consider it rude for someone to refuse to move over to allow someone to pass them when there is nobody to their right. What if the person in the left lane is doing 60 in a 65 zone? Is it still ok? How about the states where it is illegal to pass on the right? I'm not saying that you should immediately get out of the way if someone is gaining on you. If you're passing traffic too, then they will just have to wait their turn. But staying in the left lane because you have just as much right to it as they do is childish and reeks of "it's all about me". If you want to go live on an island by yourself, it's fine to have that attitude. But if you want to interact with the rest of humanity, learn to get along with others.

    The bottom line is that just because it's legal doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. People can legally burn the American flag, but that doesn't make it right. Bankers didn't do anything illegal (or so we have been led to believe), but they have severely damaged the US (and world) economy - was it right? If more people did the right things instead of the legal things, the world would be a better place.

    Sorry for the rant...
    The Old Anglo likes this.

  9. #69
    Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    1,410
    Originally Posted by noway2 As far as keeping right goes, in NC there is no keep right law. If I recall correctly, the law is that you are allowed to be an any of the normal travel lanes, with the rule being to not exceed the speed limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    It's not a "law" anywhere (we are talking about speeders after all). It's just the custom, stay right for people who want to go faster than you do. Better to let them pass and just move along to their multi-car pileup ahead, without involving you.
    I would argue that, yes, it is...

    2010 Minnesota Statutes

    - 169.18 Driving Rules

    -- Subd. 10. Slow-moving vehicle

    Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway, or when a specific lane is designated and posted for a specific type of traffic.


    Also, check this site out: State Keep Right Laws
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

  10. #70
    Senior Member Array ep1953's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kodak TN
    Posts
    1,180
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    .

    I commute on an Interstate every day and often find myself doing 80 + mph in the left lane.

    When someone comes up behind going like blazes
    I JUST PULL OVER

    On the interstate my usual cruising speed is 90 but on occasion someone will close on me. I move my butt over to the right lane and let them pass. If there is little traffic on the road I cruise at 90 in the right lane and only move into the left to pass. If the slow driver doesn't seem to be willing to move into the right lane to allow me to pass and I have room to safely pass in the right lane that is what I do. Why is this such a hard concept for people to grasp????

    What really gets me are the times I am closing on another car and they pull over into the right lane to let me pass but then pull back into the left lane afterword even though they are not passing the other traffic. What's up with that? They feel the just HAVE to be in the left lane for some reason???

  11. #71
    Ex Member Array F350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Rocky Mountain High in Colorado
    Posts
    1,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    It's not a "law" anywhere (we are talking about speeders after all). It's just the custom, stay right for people who want to go faster than you do. Better to let them pass and just move along to their multi-car pileup ahead, without involving you.
    It IS the law in Missouri, you can be ticketed for driving in the left lane, even if there are no other cars around you, left lane is for passing only!

  12. #72
    VIP Member Array 9MMare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Outside Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,309
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post

    If I'm in the far left lane, and the speed limit is 65 MPH, and I'm doing my usual of 75 to 80 MPH and you ride up on my but and expect me to move outa your way... Good luck! You might find yourself in the ditch, or the wall. My tax dollars helped pay for that road and I'll travel in what ever lane I want and as long as I want. "Courtesy" my butt. The idiot could have shown just as much courtesy by passing in the empty lane instead of verbally assualting the gentleman and his mother, because he didn't yield to the freak.


    :
    I'm "all in." This is a great example of the discourtesy and 'world is centered around me' attitude that creates road rage (which is still not excusable).

    The rest of us pay our taxes too....Your arbitrary '75-80' isnt the be-all and end-all of speeds. I'd love to see the guy saying the same thing doing 60 in front of you...hey, he paid his taxes too!

    It's called courtesy....if you move out of their way, they keep going and are gone.... because (here's a little physics for you)....they're going faster than you!

    People like you just have control issues....sorry tho...it's up to the cops to enforce the speed limits or decide who's too far over it....not civilians.

    And passing on the right laws are there for safety, not just to imply some indignity on you if you have to move over there.

    Pretty much everyone else on this thread said people should abide by the laws....and that is designed as a passing lane...whether all states have a law that enforces it or not. It was designed that way for safety. They also said it was rude and inflammatory.

    So...enjoy. I dont usually get to say this to the people that actually do this. Thanks!
    Fortune favors the bold.

    Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

    The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

  13. #73
    VIP Member Array 9MMare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Outside Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,309
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    It IS the law in Missouri, you can be ticketed for driving in the left lane, even if there are no other cars around you, left lane is for passing only!
    Here too, and thank you for your service.
    Fortune favors the bold.

    Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

    The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

  14. #74
    Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,947
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    Yeah thats just what we need more Government regulations and hoops to jump through. NO! Just practice and be smart about it. You can't regulate everything but thats kind of the the direction we are headed. I'd like to see more training on parenting, financial planning, work ethic, etc. It would be never ending just take responisbility for your self and your actions and hope others do the same.
    I am not sure if you missed the point or just saw an opportunity to climb on the the already overused "keep the govt out of my govt" box . Of course this isn't something you can regulate or legislate. Pulling large trailers and driving large trucks are two of those things that until you personally have done it and know what is involved that you won't have an appreciation and understanding for those who are. Without said understanding, there is a lack of an awareness of just how dangerous your actions can be. Furthermore, increased understanding would also help with RR driving because some may actually realize the moving and sight limitations associated with driving over sized loads and realize that the driver isn't being an a-hole.

  15. #75
    VIP Member Array gottabkiddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    7,071
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I'm "all in." This is a great example of the discourtesy and 'world is centered around me' attitude that creates road rage (which is still not excusable).


    According to who? You? You don't know me. I'm plenty level headed, and I adhere to the laws of the land, but because I don't yield to aggression displayed, or put forth by others you say I'm "self centered" wow! Play Dr. Phil on someone else, because I'm sure you're not qualified to make that assumption. By your statement, I can only surmise that you missed my point behind my post.

    The rest of us pay our taxes too....Your arbitrary '75-80' isnt the be-all and end-all of speeds. I'd love to see the guy saying the same thing doing 60 in front of you...hey, he paid his taxes too!


    Again, I guess you missed my point... To elaborate; IMO, if any driver out there is traveling at speeds beyond the posted speed limit by more than ten of fifteen MPH and they believe that other motorist should yield to them because they are in a hurry, well guess what, they are endangering others around them and IMO deserve no respect, or courtesy as far as I'm concerned. If you feel differently, good for you.

    It's called courtesy....if you move out of their way, they keep going and are gone.... because (here's a little physics for you)....they're going faster than you!


    Duh...

    People like you just have control issues....sorry tho...it's up to the cops to enforce the speed limits or decide who's too far over it....not civilians.

    That statement is just stupid. Who said anything about that. Oh' that's right, you did...

    And passing on the right laws are there for safety, not just to imply some indignity on you if you have to move over there.


    Like I said in my first post. I guess it was difficult to get beyond the blank space floating around huh... The "slower traffic keep right" law IMO was not designed to be interpreted as, Speeders, yield to super speeders. If it was I'm gonna need someone in law enforcement to enlighten me, not you.

    Pretty much everyone else on this thread said people should abide by the laws....and that is designed as a passing lane...whether all states have a law that enforces it or not. It was designed that way for safety. They also said it was rude and inflammatory.


    Thanks for summery.... Did anyone say anything about how it changes when two lanes open up into four lanes? No? How does that passing lane theory work now? Should everyone just ride in one right lane and only use the other three to pass and then immediately get back in the one right lane? Ya know what? a touch of common sense can go a long way. Not trying to be mean here, but you called me out, so "I'm all in"

    So...enjoy. I dont usually get to say this to the people that actually do this. Thanks!


    Hey, as long as you're happy, I'm happy.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

al laws regarding driving in left ane on 4 lane road
,
alabama laws of road rage
,

best 22 pistol

,
california keep right law or laws
,

concealed carry

,

craigslist dothan al

,

defensive carry

,
idiots moving into seattle
,
keep right law in alabama
,
quote bad things happen when good men do nothing
,
red jacket firearms fallout
,
red jacket mossberg 930
,

who owns red jacket firearms

,
who really owns red jacket
,
who really owns red jacket firearms
Click on a term to search for related topics.