Another Idiot With Road Rage

This is a discussion on Another Idiot With Road Rage within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, about a week ago i was cruising up the mountain to the town right outside of mine to check up on some tires i ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Another Idiot With Road Rage

Another Idiot With Road Rage

So, about a week ago i was cruising up the mountain to the town right outside of mine to check up on some tires i had ordered and set an appointment with the tattoo shop for a final touch up on a tat i had got there a few months back. Leaving my town is a 4 lane divided highway going up and down the mountain. The speed limit on this road is 65mph and i was about half way up the mountain running along at closer to 70mph and from behind comes a guy in tiny SUV type thing. Now i drive a long wheelbase Ford F150 4x4. This guy comes up and gets right on my bumper and honestly i don't know how he didn't manage running into my tow package and ball hitch. He was swerving within our lane and acting nuts so i started to watch him closer just encase. He then began swinging his arms and giving me the finger along with yelling words i didn't understand out the window at me. I was in the left lane and motioned for him to go around in the right lane but nothing doing he would rather stay back there and try to push me up the hill. So i slowed to the speed limit hoping he would pass but that was a fail. He then pulled up beside me and hung out his window and gave my mother who was in the passenger seat a pretty rough cussing. By then i had caught up to another truck in the right lane so he couldn't completely pass. He then began cussing at the other car trying to get them to move or something. This guy stayed right on my bumper for a few miles driving erratically. Near the top of the mountain another large truck pulled up on his right and he never the less gave that guy a cussing. This guy had far less patience than i did and without making contact shoved him off into the median on the left side. I came up to the tattoo shop and put on my signal to turn and this moron flipped his on too and pulled in. I got out of my truck with my gun hidden in the front pocket of my overalls. I am a pretty big ole boy and he was a little tiny twerp so i guess i intimidated him. I really thought i was going to have to pull my gun and was praying i didn't have to. I guess i was blessed that day cause once he seen me we didn't even exchange words and he left. I hate having that feeling that i may have to shoot someone in defense but i am very thankful for my 2nd amendment right to have one handy if i do need it. That day scared me and i hope i never have to feel that way again but i am glad in knowing that i am prepared if i have too be.

Bubba
    Firearms - A passion you can really enjoy, and if ya keep your head up outta your butt you can enjoy it for many years to come - Will (Red Jacket Firearms)

2. Remove Ads

I've always considered the left lane the "fast lane". If I'm in it and see someone in my lane closing the gap l will move over to the "slow lane". The Guy was obviously a hot head but if you can avoid escalating a situation by sliding over to the next lane then do it. I'm guessing most road rage incidents happen because one party is a complete tool and the other party takes the bait and doesn't back down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Well, "Bubba," I'd have been a bit peeved at you too, although my actions wouldn't have been like his. Have you never heard of "Slower travel keep right"? Not "slow" traffic, but "slower" traffic.

Plain and simple: no matter how fast you're going in the left lane--move over for faster traffic! It's a basic driving courtesy.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Bubba, is there no "Keep Right Except to Pass" law in Alabama?

"I was in the left lane and motioned for him to go around in the right lane but nothing doing he would rather stay back there and try to push me up the hill. So i slowed to the speed limit hoping he would pass but that was a fail."
    Sounds like you were throwing gas on the fire.

"I hate having that feeling that i may have to shoot someone in defense but i am very thankful for my 2nd amendment right to have one handy if i do need it. That day scared me and i hope i never have to feel that way again but i am glad in knowing that i am prepared if i have too be".

Don't escalate next time, you would have a hard time explaining to the authorities your PARTICIPATION in "Road Rage".
    9MMare, hk45c and baren like this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Well, "Bubba," I'd have been a bit peeved at you too, although my actions wouldn't have been like his. Have you never heard of "Slower travel keep right"? Not "slow" traffic, but "slower" traffic.

Plain and simple: no matter how fast you're going in the left lane--move over for faster traffic! It's a basic driving courtesy.
    +1 to this. Unless you were unable to move over because of traffic, you should have yielded the left lane to faster traffic.
    Flasher likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Dont be in the left lane unless you are going with the flow of traffic. Doesnt matter if that flow is 50mph or 100, if youre holding traffic up in the left lane move over.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    +1 to this. Unless you were unable to move over because of traffic, you should have yielded the left lane to faster traffic.
    Remember, he motioned the SUV to pass him IN THE RIGHT LANE. He was a participant, (willing), in the road rage.

I hate having that feeling that i may have to shoot someone in defense but i am very thankful for my 2nd amendment right to have one handy if i do need it. That day scared me and i hope i never have to feel that way again but i am glad in knowing that i am prepared if i have too be.

I've said this many times. When you are carrying a gun is the time to be more patient behind the wheel. Or in public in general. It almost sounds like you were baiting him.

The last place you want to be is in court being asked, "So Mr. ***, knowing that you were carrying a firearm, why did you escalate the situation"?
    TN_Mike and baren like this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by tcon67 View Post
    Dont be in the left lane unless you are going with the flow of traffic. Doesnt matter if that flow is 50mph or 100, if youre holding traffic up in the left lane move over.
    Had a 1400 mile round trip recently. Nothing like getting passed when you're doing over 80.
    Richard M Nixon
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Had a 1400 mile round trip recently. Nothing like getting passed when you're doing over 80.
    I really hate it when that blur flying by is texting!!!

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcon67 View Post
    I really hate it when that blur flying by is texting!!!
    It seems like every idiot I see on the roads these days has a stinkin phone glued to their ear. I want to get a bumper sticker that reads: "would your driving improve if that phone were crammed up your ass".

As far as keeping right goes, in NC there is no keep right law. If I recall correctly, the law is that you are allowed to be an any of the normal travel lanes, with the rule being to not exceed the speed limit.
    dcselby1 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    No sympathy here, causing roadrage is as bad as showing it. Even California has a law that slower vehicles must give way. Not that they enforce it. Lane squatters should be removed from the gene pool.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    It seems like every idiot I see on the roads these days has a stinkin phone glued to their ear. I want to get a bumper sticker that reads: "would your driving improve if that phone were crammed up your ass".

As far as keeping right goes, in NC there is no keep right law. If I recall correctly, the law is that you are allowed to be an any of the normal travel lanes, with the rule being to not exceed the speed limit.
    I know what you mean with the cell phones. As for the left lane law, I dont know of any in Ky, Its more I think of a courtesy, kind of an unspoken law, especially in the truck driving world. If you are in the left lane and moving at the same speed as the right lane that creates a "rolling roadblock" and packs everybody up. The danger of a major accident happening is much greater when that happens.

Question

noway2 - you are right. There is no "keep right" law in NC. Most drivers know that, and choose any lane regardless of their speed. You learn to be patient.

Personally, I have no idea how your mom can hear a "pretty rough cussing" while blasting down a highway at 70 mph. If you don't want to hear some loon screaming at you, roll up your window and turn on peaceful music. I have learned to stay out of the way of crazies. I ride a motorcycle as well, and am unwilling to expose myself to danger to make a point.

Cursing and rude gestures are so middle school. I just laugh off angry people. They are wasting their energy and their lives on stuff that simply doesn't matter.

BTW - you take your mom with you to the tattoo parlor?
    helderberg likes this.

I used to drive faster. Gas is too expensive now. I'm doing 65 in the middle lane. If I see a bunch of tools flying behind me, I just move on over. It's not worth the aggravation.

BTW, if he was such a little guy and you're a big guy, why would you need to draw your weapon if he approached you aggressively? I couls see the articulation if it was the other way around.
    tcon67 likes this.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    Your post reeks of pranksterism, Bubba.
    DefConGun likes this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links