Question on HR 218

This is a discussion on Question on HR 218 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I retired from a Law Enforcement Agency in 2009. I have recently found out that because NYS does not require that police agencies re-qualify retired ...

Thread: Question on HR 218

Question on HR 218

I retired from a Law Enforcement Agency in 2009. I have recently found out that because NYS does not require that police agencies re-qualify retired officers, I am not covered by HR-218. What are my options for out of state travel? I have a NYS pistol permit, and the required departmental ID. How about a Florida or Utah permit?

2. Remove Ads

NYS may not require police agencies re-qualify retired officers, but have you asked your department if they would let you qualify, you can do so when they qualify their active duty officers? You would think that there would be a large number of retirees who would like to be qualified under HR-218.

Oh, and welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Moderator
    Arkansas dosent require it either, however provisions have been made for the local LEO to qualify any retiree that approaches them with it.

Usually, they'll just verify your retirement, and then send you out with the cops that are qualifying. The last one I did had several retired guys shooting before our class started.

Once the CLEO signs off on it, its good until the next year. Its quick and painless and it dosent matter where you are from.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

My understanding is that HR-218 requires that a retired Officer requalify, and meet the same standards as an active officer. I'm retired from NY also. And there is no such requirement to maintain my permit. However if I want to make use of HR218 I must qualify with what ever style of weapon I intend to carry. I qualify with both revolver and autoloader.

That is the problem. The law states that I must re-qualify to be eligible for HR 218, but my old dept doesn't care. They will not let retirees shoot. I would assume that it's about the money. They suck.

This is part of a post on another forum and might be of use to you, at least worth investigating.

***UPDATE***I am pleased to say that as of June 30th 2011, all the bugs and other problems were finally worked out, and I took the approved Hr 218 LEO Safety Act of 2004 course here in Monroe County, New York, and passed with flying colors, and now have a certificate/Id card granting me permission to carry a revolver or automatic pistol anywhere in the US. The approved course is open to all retired LEOS regardless where the LEO was employed, as long as the LEO meets the requirements set forth by HR 218. In my class there was a retired LAPD SGT. who recently moved back to upstate New York. These courses will now be given every month. It took for us here almost seven years to finally get this certification course approved, and moved forward, but now there should be no more problems in the future. Thanks to the powers to be, and the hard work our retirees union did to finally get this done. I personally feel that all concealed pistol licenses should be good in all states, just like driver's licenses, etc, but unless things change with the US Congress, I don't see that happening, any time soon.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

As to your problem, I view it as just another case of NYS trying to keep the average citizen unarmed. You retired, when you hung up your uniform, you became just another untrustworthy peon wanting to carry a gun. They will do everything they can to keep their foot on your throat.

If I were you I'd be giving the department a new address to be sending my retirement check to, and it would be far from the borders of NY.

Hope you get your problem resolved.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

http://www.fop.net/legislative/issues/hr218faqThe Fraternal Order of Police has a lot of info on the requirements and requalification options for our retirees.

PS. Florida is a haven for our retired northern brothers. Y'all come!

PPS. You may have to Google it.
    Last edited by Paladin3840; October 4th, 2011 at 07:14 AM. Reason: tried to fix link

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    RetCONY,

The changes in the LEOSA makes it easier to get certified. You must have an ID showing you are or were a Police Officer. (So Agencies are not not giving those ID's to retires to hinder them) Any instructor who is qualified to Certify Police Officers can certify you with the type of firearm you want to carry. With your ID and that Certification you are set to go. The new law was passed because some states/county/cities would not set up Certifications. IF you have moved to another state you don't have to go back to your home state to certify or the agency you retired from. Any Instructor in that state who can certify Police Officers can certify you. Go to this page

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/usa.pdf

and scroll down until you come to the section titled "LEOSA Information" There are links there that help explain the law and what you can do. The FOP FAQ's would be a great place to start. Hope this helps.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Come down to Florida... get certified, your good.

Links