bank carry?

This is a discussion on bank carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been searching around a couple forums and have not seen a clear answer to this question. Some people mention whether it is state ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bank carry?

bank carry?

I have been searching around a couple forums and have not seen a clear answer to this question. Some people mention whether it is state or federally chartered.... Can any of you guys shine light on the topic?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    A bank is insured by the federal government, it is not federal property. I carry in the bank all the time, no problems.
    Curry

in ohio you can carry in banks also.
    its a private company, therefore private property.they make there own rules for carry and must be posted as such.
    its not fed property, only insured by the fed's.

if that helps.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Lead Moderator
    I would recommend researching your state and local laws as well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

All in all, yes it's private property, they make they're own rules and you shouldn't have any problems (though obviously I'd only recommend concealed carry ), however - I have seen something mentioned before, probably at packing.org a while back, about a state explicitly mentioning banks on the prohibited list of places to carry.

So as rocky put it, i'd check into it locally.

I carry in a bank all the time never a problem.
    Here's a question someone asked me not to long ago. What about carrying in a Federal or State Credit Union? I didn't think this to be a problem. Any thoughts

Bank carry will get you a fed charge as far as I know. I would suggest not doing until you can get a clear understanding of whats what. Far as I am concerned a bank is federal property because they have a specific interest there...The dough...definitely check it out.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Some banks where I live have posted no carry signs others haven't. In Ohio, banks are not listed as a no carry zone; Unlike federal offices or property (such as post offices)
    The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

Administrator
    Business people who deposit large amounts of cash do carry concealed into the banks all the time here in PA.
    No problem at all at my particular bank.
    That is the ONLY reason that many business persons even OWN a firearm here in PA.
    That would be to safely take their daily cash to the bank.
    I would not keep my money in any Pennsylvania bank that was posted No Firearms.
    I have never seen a bank posted for No Firearms in or around Pittsburgh.

That is when I feel that I need my personal firearm the most entering and exiting the bank with my hard earned cash.

I'm guessing that Various State & Local restrictions will possibly vary.
    There is no Federal law that prohibits legal carry into a bank. There may be State, local or individual bank restrictions.
    Banks are not Federally owned - they are Federally Insured.
    Banks are private banking corps and establishments & Private Lending Institutions and are not government entities.

There is no federal law prohibiting the carrying of firearms in a bank. It is not federal property, but is only FDIC (this is the only reason bank robbery becomes a federal crime). On the other hand, since most banks have armed security, I would be extremely cautious about flashing a concealed weapon inadvertantly unless you want to risk being shot by some overzealous rent-a-cop.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Bank carry is OK, at least in Oklahoma.

But, like always, remember: concealed means CONCEALED.

Otherwise, you open yourself up to a whole world of problems, ranging from being asked to leave to starting a firefight.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Bank carry is ok here in Flah-Dah. My weapon(s) and cell phone ALWAYS go with me into a bank.

Just for grins,sometime the ID that I hand the teller is my CWP. It raises her perky little eyebrows and she simi curls her pointy little nose and goes, "humpth". -------------

Banks are OK to carry in as long as your state doesn't say otherwise. It is not federal property. They are not run by the government (unconstitutional, the Federal Reserve Bank is a private bank, not a government building).

The government has a specific interest in every business (taxes) so we shouldn't carry anywhere? Don't agree with your thinking. Go unarmed in a bank and I wish you the best. I'll continue to carry in banks.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by vegashound
    There is no federal law prohibiting the carrying of firearms in a bank. It is not federal property, but is only FDIC (this is the only reason bank robbery becomes a federal crime). On the other hand, since most banks have armed security, I would be extremely cautious about flashing a concealed weapon inadvertantly unless you want to risk being shot by some overzealous rent-a-cop.

This is very true, but I have yet to see any security gaurds in any bank's I go to. I do not bank with posted "No Carry" bank's. Even though it is not against the law the bank's are telling every crook in Missouri (where I live) to please come on in, there is nothing stopping you from robbing us of any monies you want, in fact call ahead and we will have your donation waiting for you when you get hear. After all we are FDIC insured!

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links