Road rage in uniform

This is a discussion on Road rage in uniform within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My best friend reached for the pepper spray instead of the Glock, which got him pummeled, then murdered with said Glock....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Road rage in uniform

VIP Member
    My best friend reached for the pepper spray instead of the Glock, which got him pummeled, then murdered with said Glock.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    My best friend reached for the pepper spray instead of the Glock, which got him pummeled, then murdered with said Glock.
    That is a very unfortunate and sad event, I am sorry for your loss! I don't have mace, and won't carry it because I have a unique reaction to the back spray, I get horrible burns on my skin that last for a very long time so I avoid it all costs. LEO's have a choice of carrying it or not, and I opted not to, but seeing as I am not an LEO it is really irrelevant, I don't carry cuffs either. So in this case all I had that would have been suitable defense is my Sig 220. Again, sorry for your loss.
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahnkem View Post
    That is a very unfortunate and sad event, I am sorry for your loss! I don't have mace, and won't carry it because I have a unique reaction to the back spray, I get horrible burns on my skin that last for a very long time so I avoid it all costs. LEO's have a choice of carrying it or not, and I opted not to, but seeing as I am not an LEO it is really irrelevant, I don't carry cuffs either. So in this case all I had that would have been suitable defense is my Sig 220. Again, sorry for your loss.
    Thanks. It happened a while ago. He was a LEO, equipped with all the gear. Lots of armchair quarterbacking took place in hindsight. Not only did I and many others lose a friend, the world lost a genuinely-good man. A quick search of "Deputy Richard Herzog" will pull up the details.

That news article makes my blood boil, scum like that BG deserve to bungee jump off a tree by their neck.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    what a horrible story. Only it isn't a story and it pisses me off just reading it.

To the OP, I think you handled the situation as well as anyone could have. Stay safe out there.

+1 on keeping your cool, that nutjob will do that to someone else one day and there will be a good chance he will be beaten half to death or shot. If I was alone in uniform he would have rode the lightning as soon as he stepped out and came towards me in a threatening manner. Now if I had my family with me off duty it would have been 50/50 on shooting depending on how he wanted to escalate the situation, my weapon would have definitley been drawn and pointed at his head
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Excellent job keeping cool, man.
    It's tough sometimes - our instinct as males is to engage a threat immediately, but as men we need to keep the situation in our control at all times, and sometimes that means keeping our heads cool, period.
    You did good.
    SigHawk likes this.
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

When active LEO, we were "on duty" all of the time. We were required to be armed even when off-duty, as soon as there was a need, you were officially back on-duty. This was a need, he would have been arrested, first for tailgating (which started this whole adventure, and at that point, anything I could pull out of the book.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

They always dare you to shoot them. They have no idea of the ramifications of gunshot wounds. I guess they think they are supermen. Good job. Took awhile to come down didn't it?
    Semper Fi

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I'm curious why you felt you should shoot someone for being a loudmouth jerk. Not saying you didn't have justification, but I don't think you've quite met that level based on your description of the incident.

One man, no apparent disparity of force. You didn't mention if you were small statured and if he was a WWF wannabe. No physical contact. No verbal threat of violence. Several references of you shooting him. No mention of him having a weapon.

OTOH he was acting erratically, followed you and and engaged you twice.

If you had shot him I think you would have had an uphill battle with the LEOs, DA, court, jury, etc. This is definitely a case for having multiple options. Pepper gas, Mace, impact weapon, evasive driving, locking yourself in the bathroom (although not tactically sound if he pulls a gun and starts shooting), etc.

Obviously you weren't the beginning of his issues. Is it possible once he saw your uniform and weapon, his motivation switched over from "jerk" to "suicide by cop" and he just didn't have the nerve to push it to the limit?
    MadMac likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I believe under the circumstances the OP handled this road rage basket case as well as possible. I think that shooting this moron in self-defense would be the last thing anyone wants to do. The OP did everything NOT to confront or escalate but lets face it, road ragers just don't get it. They feel they are in the right, you are in the wrong and they have the overwhealming desire to voice their feelings loudly, often becoming violent to the point of a physical or armed confrontation.

It also could be an undiagnosed case of anxiety disorder. I have a friend who reacts to certain "trigger" things like this rage guy did. Once the anxiety attack comes on, it has to run it's course before the person finally gets it all out and calms down. Sometimes anxiety attacks can be physically violent. So the road rager might have been in a full blown anxiety attack and did not even know it. That's how anxiety disorder is.

Glad the OP is safe, didn't have to shoot the offender and everyone was shaken but alive.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Thanks. It happened a while ago. He was a LEO, equipped with all the gear. Lots of armchair quarterbacking took place in hindsight. Not only did I and many others lose a friend, the world lost a genuinely-good man. A quick search of "Deputy Richard Herzog" will pull up the details.
    This happened a mile from my house, a sad day!!

VIP Member
    I read the post, what kind of uniform???????

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    I read the post, what kind of uniform???????
    Tactical black BDU's, Tan uniform shirt with badge, duty belt with all the accessories except for cuffs and mace.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links