Road rage in uniform

Road rage in uniform

This is a discussion on Road rage in uniform within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last Friday I was on my way home from work taking side streets to avoid the bumper to bumper. There are a lot of single ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Road rage in uniform

Road rage in uniform

Last Friday I was on my way home from work taking side streets to avoid the bumper to bumper. There are a lot of single lane areas where it is 40 mph and stop signs, most people are ok with that. There is one area where it is 30 mph and it seems to go on for ever. I was on this one part Friday being tailgated by a guy in a Toyota who seemed to think the closer he got to me the faster he would get home. He almost hit me twice and had to take the shoulder because he was so close.

I didn't brake check him, didn't flip him off, or anything of that nature. When we finally hit the 2 lane area he goes flying by me and I look at him as he passes. We get to the next light and he gets out, slams his door and starts walking over towards my Jeep. I had all my windows down at the time listening to some good old country music. He screams at me so loud I hear it over my music which is pretty loud. He said "wanna make something of this" confused I said just go back to your car and relax. WRONG thing to say. He comes even closer fists clenched and started swearing at me.

Mind you I am in full uniform, duty belt, gun, ect. I firmly say go back to your vehicle and leave. He comes even closer, about 5 feet away and said what, are you going to shoot me now. Now I am getting worried I happened to find a real nut job. I said I don't plan on it unless you force me. He then proceeds to yell as loud as he can over and over I dare you to shoot me, while pacing back and fourth in the stopped traffic. Thankfully the light turned green and I had the chance to speed away from him when he was still out of his vehicle.

I went on for another mile still not seeing him in my rear view I pull into my local gas station to buy a pack of smokes to calm my nerves. What do I see as soon as I buy them, the same nut walking towards the door. I tell the clerk to call 911 and get cops out here asap. He walks in and comes right up to me and starts yelling and swearing again. Now I have no choice but to grab my gun, and unstrap it. I don't pull it out at this time, but I am darn close to it. I yell at him to leave immediately. He still stays in the store making a scene and swearing at everyone in there. This goes on for a few minutes and he decided to leave after I had enough and warned him I will use force to stop him. The station clerks are shaken up, and I am just glad I didn't have to drop him. Moral of the story, even looking at someone now a days can set them off if they are in the wrong mindset.
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

Sounds like he forgot his meds

He could be and probably is very very dangerous.
    jem102, Riana and nigelvertigo like this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Do you have authority to make an arrest off the clock?
    Sounds like this guy had it coming and really needed it.
    He sounds like a danger to others also and need some quiet time to think things over.

Stay safe

VIP Member
    Good job in maintaining your cool, fools such as him will someday run into someone who is not so levelheaded and will suffer the consequences.
    Spade115 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I'm sorry to QB after the fact, as i was not there, but the guy was a real danger. You should have taken plates, etc. He is a danger to the community.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Sounds like a good reason to still carry OC spray.
    Chaplain Scott and Herknav like this.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    Do you have authority to make an arrest off the clock?
    Sounds like this guy had it coming and really needed it.
    He sounds like a danger to others also and need some quiet time to think things over.

Stay safe
    Well I am not an LEO, I am an AST Officer so I have no pull when it comes to an arrest on or off the clock, All I do is guard A LOT of Federal money during transportation, with my gig it is warn them then if no compliance drop them. There is really no in-between. It is a federal crime to hinder me during my job, off the clock I am as good as you are when it comes to stopping the BG, I just have a bunch of shiny stuff on a belt really.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I'm sorry to QB after the fact, as i was not there, but the guy was a real danger. You should have taken plates, etc. He is a danger to the community.
    The store clerk got the plates and all pertinent info. I was keeping busy making sure the nut job didn't go towards unarmed people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahnkem View Post
    The store clerk got the plates and all pertinent info. I was keeping busy making sure the nut job didn't go towards unarmed people.
    Ahh, then you did as good as you could. One of the troubles carrying, open or cc, or just like you because of job related, it is in many ways an all or nothing tool. One you pull, it is a game / day changer, and you will most likely have explaining to do regardless of the aftermath.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I don't see myself NOT pulling out my gun in that situation. Kudos for keeping your cool!

It sounds like you did fine, considering the circumstances, a large PITA.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

911 Would have sent him on his way IMO ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    No pepper spray around, K?
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    911 Would have sent him on his way IMO ; )
    H/D
    It was called, but I guess a crazy man trying to corner a uniformed officer of any sort isn't enough for a code run around here. They showed up in time to catch me pulling away smoking my 9th cig and the store clerk having her 5th. Good response time, came just in time to get the plate number before it was crumpled up and tossed out.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -
    No pepper spray around, K?
    I wish, but no. If I had it I would have hosed him down, maybe it would have made him simmer down a bit and smell the roses.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links