Changes in the Kentucky Revised Statues regarding KY CCDW

This is a discussion on Changes in the Kentucky Revised Statues regarding KY CCDW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I recieved a letter from the Justice and Public Safety Cabinet concerning the updated laws concerning concealed carry in Kentucky for my concealed carry ...

Thread: Changes in the Kentucky Revised Statues regarding KY CCDW

Changes in the Kentucky Revised Statues regarding KY CCDW

Today I recieved a letter from the Justice and Public Safety Cabinet concerning the updated laws concerning concealed carry in Kentucky for my concealed carry classes and figured I would share it with you guys/gals who may not know about the update.

refer to the shaded areas for the changes

U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Thanks for the heads up.

#3 didn't sound like an update to me, it sounds familiar so I'm not sure which part is an update.

In #8, is the updated part the part about being able to keep it in a console?

Thanks,
    DCG

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    Thanks for the heads up.

#3 didn't sound like an update to me, it sounds familiar so I'm not sure which part is an update.

In #8, is the updated part the part about being able to keep it in a console?

Thanks,
    DCG
    #3 is an update due to specifically listed LE Dept Head, and Fish & Wildlife officers which wasent listed before. The general term was "peace officers" I guess they wanted to lay it down in plain text for the law.

#8 used to be glove compartment only I believe (I'll have to go back and look) now you can place it in "any" compartment in the vehicle. Which would be center console, seat pockets, etc.
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler11B View Post
    #3 is an update due to specifically listed LE Dept Head, and Fish & Wildlife officers which wasent listed before. The general term was "peace officers" I guess they wanted to lay it down in plain text for the law.

#8 used to be glove compartment only I believe (I'll have to go back and look) now you can place it in "any" compartment in the vehicle. Which would be center console, seat pockets, etc.
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad to hear this. I've always kept it in the glove box but would much rather keep it in my console because its more readily available if I need it. I'm assuming that this is effective immediately. I wonder if instructors are the only ones that will get the letter or if holders will get it also? Either way, its good to know.

Thanks again,
    DCG

I have not yet gotten the update... The ponies are sometimes slow with the mail up here...

Thanks!
    Bill
    --- Sig 245
    --- Sig P6 (2)
    --- Sig 228
    --- Kahr PM9

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    If I am correct #3 was for clarification and #8 addresses the fact that some newer vehicles no longer have what we call (a conventional) glove compartment. Air bags have caused manufacturers to make use of the console area between the seets for storage. Termonology has changed too. The "console" is sometimes now referred to a "personal storage area"

Changing times....

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Good to know, I have been carrying in my console unwittingly believing it was a "glove compartment" under the law. Thanks
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    IIANM - If you have a CCW recognized by KY, you have always been able to conceal the gun in the console. The glove box only was for non-CCW persons.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Links