Fellow Military Personnel... CC While in Uniform??

This is a discussion on Fellow Military Personnel... CC While in Uniform?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Keep in mind that not all bases or posts have the same restrictions, as those things are usually highly dependent on the base/post commander. I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Fellow Military Personnel... CC While in Uniform??

Keep in mind that not all bases or posts have the same restrictions, as those things are usually highly dependent on the base/post commander. I will admit that I often do CC while in uniform and not on duty status. I live 40 min from my post and there are a lot of ghetto areas and high crime around the post (the reason I chose to live in a nicer area 40 minutes away). I am aware of AF & Army regulations that serve as guidelines for arming up while on official business, exercise or actual combat; while transporting govt owned firearms, couriering classified material, etc. But nothing seems to specifically address the legal CC of a personally owned weapon while off post on a lunch break, or to and from the post at the beginning and end of the duty day.

Doing a little research, my post commander has no restrictions on carrying and/or the storage of personally owned firearms in one's personally owned vehicle.

2. Remove Ads

Off base yes I have, never on base
    SIGguy229 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OperatorJ View Post
    Keep in mind that not all bases or posts have the same restrictions, as those things are usually highly dependent on the base/post commander. I will admit that I often do CC while in uniform and not on duty status. I live 40 min from my post and there are a lot of ghetto areas and high crime around the post (the reason I chose to live in a nicer area 40 minutes away). I am aware of AF & Army regulations that serve as guidelines for arming up while on official business, exercise or actual combat; while transporting govt owned firearms, couriering classified material, etc. But nothing seems to specifically address the legal CC of a personally owned weapon while off post on a lunch break, or to and from the post at the beginning and end of the duty day.

Doing a little research, my post commander has no restrictions on carrying and/or the storage of personally owned firearms in one's personally owned vehicle.
    What do you do with your weapon when you get to base and you're on duty all day?
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

If you go on a military post that is Federal property, therefore no carry allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    What do you do with your weapon when you get to base and you're on duty all day?
    My CCW is stowed in my locked vehicle, I checked with MPs, it does not need be be checked into the armory if you are a SGT (E-5) or above.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    If you go on a military post that is Federal property, therefore no carry allowed.
    Right. I was referring to off post.

VIP Member
    Can you please cite a specific reg?
    If you are a Marine of a Sailor the Reg is called Navy Regulations------all services have their version. If you truly are military, we should not have to research it for you. Remember ignorance of the reg does not excuse you from punishment under the UCMJ.
    goldshellback likes this.

[QUOTE=nn;2045896]If you are a Marine of a Sailor the Reg is called Navy Regulations------all services have their version. If you truly are military, we should not have to research it for you. Remember ignorance of the reg does not excuse you from punishment under the UCMJ.[/QUOTE

As I first stated, I have researched the regs. I was asking for a double check of my research to be sure of my findings. And if I wasn't really military, why would I care??

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    While that is correct for on duty, on base. I don't think regs specifically covered carrying off base, off duty. Which I assume is what he is talking about. My only question is what is he doing with his gun when on base, since carrying there would be prohibited.

Of course back in our day, the wear of the uniform off base was more tightly controlled. To and from work with only stops for fuel. No Walmart, McDonald's (other than drive thru), no grocery stops.
    Oh yes it does, but, it will be his and his problem alone is discovered.

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=OperatorJ;2045898]
    Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    If you are a Marine of a Sailor the Reg is called Navy Regulations------all services have their version. If you truly are military, we should not have to research it for you. Remember ignorance of the reg does not excuse you from punishment under the UCMJ.[/QUOTE

As I first stated, I have researched the regs. I was asking for a double check of my research to be sure of my findings. And if I wasn't really military, why would I care??
    Oh. my; why would you care? Even better, why would you ask here?
    I always read the reg myself when reassigned, esp those that applied to me.
    You do what you want---you asked. If you were truly a top notch and doing the correct thing military person you would already know the answer.
    You can't do it----anybody that does, did not read all the regulations.
    As I said do what you want, you will anyway.

Besides all that, this is the web, people misrepresent themselves all the time.

Try to listen marine, I said I HAVE reviewed the regs. I was confirming, and as there have been several different answers to the one question, I think it was a good question to ask. And keep in mind that the different branches have different regs and rules. In the AF, you can have a personally owned firearm on base locked in your car. Not on most army posts that I've been on. Just because you can't chew gum in uniform in the marines doesn't mean someone in the Army can't. Feel free to contribute your experience and knowledge, but do so in a teaching manner. If you cannot, please hold your comments to yourself.

People do mis-represent themselves all the time on the web, we've all experienced that, so... who are you again?? This was an honest question to be answered by those who are willing to help. In trying to make sure I always do the right thing, I was simply requesting information to be verified that I am sure people on this forum in my position have researched themselves. That is why I asked the question in here.

OpJ
    M203Sniper likes this.

I'm really starting to think this is a troll.

No way you're storing a weapon in a lock box in your vehicle while on base. I checked .... I'm only an Air Force retired cook, so I called two of my retired MP buddies, and between our 90 years of military service we all agreed. You bring a weapon on base you better have made prior arrangements to carry it to the armory, and to tell the gate man that you're doing so as you enter the gate. Otherwise you're breaking federal law.

That being said, your question was about carrying while in uniform off-base. Since you can't hide it in your car while on duty on base, unless you're changing your clothes and parking off post, not even sure your original question has any validity.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.

And please don't come back and call me a tired old man; if you think you can lock it in your car while on duty, please cite the reg. We're all eyes.

Vandenberg AFB, CA has a recreational shooting range ON BASE. Never once have I been asked if I have a personally owned weapon in my vehicle coming on base, even during vehicle searches. I have had my AR15 and 3 different handguns in my vehicle when it got searched, I was asked "heading to the range today Sergeant?", to which I replied: "Sure am". Few minutes later: "Alright, have a good day Sergeant". "Thanks, you too". And that was that. If you were an Airman living in the dorms, you had to have any personally owned firearms locekd up in the armory and you could retrieve them anytime you wanted. If you live in base housing, you can have them in your house, as long as they are registered on base.

But the original question was about carrying off base/post. Here in Texas, I will be more on Army posts than AF installations, so thats why I am asking. I've looked up what I could find about it, but wanted to make sure anyone here with more experience could verify that my findings were correct, or politely correct them for me.

OpJ

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    There was a bill introduced in Congress on this very topic that appears to have gone nowhere:

S.3388: Service Member Second Amendment Protection Act of 2010 - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress
    That's from the last congress, it died in committee. It had nothing to do with carrying, it was about preventing DoD requiring registration of weapons stored off base.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links