Fellow Military Personnel... CC While in Uniform??

This is a discussion on Fellow Military Personnel... CC While in Uniform?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are the rules for Military Police. Are they treated like civilian police. Required to be armed on duty, allowed to be armed off duty?...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Fellow Military Personnel... CC While in Uniform??

What are the rules for Military Police. Are they treated like civilian police. Required to be armed on duty, allowed to be armed off duty?

2. Remove Ads

It's not covered under a US ARMY reg. and it's not addressed by AR 670-1 (Uniforms) therefore if you are legal in that state (TX) then you are okay to carry. As it has been stated - the rules change when you come through the gate. It's the same question we get here in AZ and it IS a good question. That being said be careful of what you do or say while armed because you are an agent of the government and a decent lawyer could make a case against you if you place yourself in questionable circumstances with regards to unlawful arrest, kidnapping and citizens arrest. JAG and DES are your friends in this area.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

Quote Originally Posted by BurgDog View Post
    What are the rules for Military Police. Are they treated like civilian police. Required to be armed on duty, allowed to be armed off duty?
    The Posse Comitatus Act (18 USC 1385) prohibits the military MP's from being police officers.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

I think is up to your chain of command. As long as you are in uniform, wherever you are (on/off post-on/off duty), you are representing your service/command and all directives and regulations apply.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Thanks for your comments 203.

OpJ

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    I'm really starting to think this is a troll.

No way you're storing a weapon in a lock box in your vehicle while on base. I checked .... I'm only an Air Force retired cook, so I called two of my retired MP buddies, and between our 90 years of military service we all agreed. You bring a weapon on base you better have made prior arrangements to carry it to the armory, and to tell the gate man that you're doing so as you enter the gate. Otherwise you're breaking federal law.

That being said, your question was about carrying while in uniform off-base. Since you can't hide it in your car while on duty on base, unless you're changing your clothes and parking off post, not even sure your original question has any validity.
    Well you three are wrong. This is Fort Benning Policy, but most post have similer policies:
    http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry...ICReg210-5.pdf

Not, as long as you have a reason, and CC off post or going to the range are the simple answer, you my store your POW in your POV on post. You may not take it inside any building, it must stay cleared and double lock secured in your POV.

As far as the original question. Like I have said, there is NO regulation that restricts CCing in uniform OFF POST, on or off duty. There may be local policies or driectives by CoCs. Unless you are told no, and I mean by somebody of authority, you may CC off post in uniform in compliance with that state's law. Stop listening to the barracks lawyers, and look things up.
    Last edited by TangoMonkey; October 6th, 2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Corrected URL
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

As a Marine, I cannot wear cammies off base, and I cannot wear any utilities (cellphone, pagers, pens, etc.) gun included, in a dress uniform. So if you are a Marine, the answer is no you can't.

Here at Ft. Bragg here is our reg:
    http://www.bragg.army.mil/Directorat...Reg190-12.aspx

As for CC while in uniform off post? If you have a valid CC permit issued by the state you reside in, your covered as far as that state goes. I know GA does not issue a non-resident CC permit and allow active duty military to carry off post ( Title 16, Chapter 11, Section 130 (16-11-130)). TangoMonkey, here at Ft. Bragg if you leave tour POW unattended in your POV, it can be confiscated. I have been in for 17+ years. One thing to always consider. You are a Soldier, Salior, Airman, Marine 24/7. If your CoC is so inclined, they can always bring "conduct unbecoming" against you if it was found that you used very bad judgement.
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by TangoMonkey View Post
    Negative. The Constitution says the Government cannot arm the Military and put us out in the public to control the people. There is absolutly no regulation restricting CC off post.

There have been a few CGs that had policies restricting their personnel, but there is no wide spectrum restriction.

I am an active duty Captain and Troop Commander. I CC all the time off post. When I come on post I have to clear and lock my weapon. I can secure it in my vehicle at the office or take it home (I live on post).

EDIT: Of course we are talking about personally owned weapons here. An issued weapon, for guard duty lets say, can not be CC, or used for any unofficial purpose.
    1.) Are you sure TangoMonkey about securing your firearm in your vehicle at the office? Since you live on Post, Ft. Benning's USAIC REG 210-5 Change 3 and Ft. Benning Privately Owned Weapons (POW) Safety Handbook states that Weapons will only be transported:
    • To and from hunting areas
    • To and from authorized ranges
    • For purposes of sale or purchase
    • To and from authorized off-Post activities
    • Unloaded
    • Be in full view or locked in the trunk.

Otherwise, it a violating Article 92 of the UCMJ
    As far as storing your firearm on-post:

a. Personnel living in the barracks will store their POWs and
    ammunition in the unit arms room.
    b. Personnel living in family housing and Soldiers living in
    BOQ/SEBQ can store their weapons in their quarters with
    small amount of ammunition after proper registration at
    the Vehicle Registration Office.
    c. POWs are not allowed in any temporary lodging facilities.

2.) As far as The Constitution says ..... Remember Katrina? New Orleans? Marshal Law was effect to maintain "law and order" Don't they teach this stuff in OCS or West Point anymore?

As far as CC in Uniform off-post I don't have a problem with it unless it in some way civilians off-post assume the cc carrying uniformed soldiesr as LEO authority. Yes, I know no one would know they are carrying if CC, but I see a god awful amount of soldiers out of uniform and/or lacking general military bearings in Wal-mart or Denny's.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    As a military recruiter in Danville, later, Richmond VA, from 2007-2010, I have carried my pistol in a plannerbook holster to and from work but left it in my car trunk, gun compartment zipper locked up, during work. With this carry rig, I can carry it in places outside of the recruiting station (located in a mall and not in a base), without looking out of uniform. However, I cannot have it with me when driving in a govt. vehicle. And I sure am glad I am finished with recruiting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links