Fellow Military Personnel... CC While in Uniform??

This is a discussion on Fellow Military Personnel... CC While in Uniform?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Out of curiosity... anyone ever CC while in uniform? Did that change after the Carson City IHop shooting? I may be missing something in the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Fellow Military Personnel... CC While in Uniform??

Fellow Military Personnel... CC While in Uniform??

Out of curiosity... anyone ever CC while in uniform? Did that change after the Carson City IHop shooting?

I may be missing something in the regulations, but I haven't found anything that specifically addresses it.

OpJ

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The only time CC is allowed in uniform is when required by mission or duty requirements.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    The only time CC is allowed in uniform is when required by mission or duty requirements.
    Can you please cite a specific reg?

VIP Member
    I am retired now so I do not have any of the regs available but when I was on active duty we as aircrew were required to carry concealed weapons for anti-hijacking purposes. The only time we open carried was when transporting the big mothers that really go bang (nukes).
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

AFAIK off base there is no regulation against carrying a lawfully concealed firearm,On base is a different animal
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Come on J just get authority and OC , and keep your "hat" on......

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I am retired now so I do not have any of the regs available but when I was on active duty we as aircrew were required to carry concealed weapons for anti-hijacking purposes. The only time we open carried was when transporting the big mothers that really go bang (nukes).
    While that is correct for on duty, on base. I don't think regs specifically covered carrying off base, off duty. Which I assume is what he is talking about. My only question is what is he doing with his gun when on base, since carrying there would be prohibited.

Of course back in our day, the wear of the uniform off base was more tightly controlled. To and from work with only stops for fuel. No Walmart, McDonald's (other than drive thru), no grocery stops.
    Beans and baren like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    There was a bill introduced in Congress on this very topic that appears to have gone nowhere:

S.3388: Service Member Second Amendment Protection Act of 2010 - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

This must have gone somewhere because I got a message about a month ago that included a lot of new provisions that were included in this bill.
    I'm away from the desk right now so I don't have it. I'll try and remember to look it up.
    Still can't carry on post though.

I'm a 19 year active duty sailor. This question has been brought up several times during my career. At every place I've been stationed, the regulations have been the same, give or take a few words. Mostly these regulations have been listed/posted at the base/duty station level (I have yet to find where it written at a service/DOD level) BUT the 'loop-hole' regulation almost always cited is found in the uniform regulations ( Uniform regulations:1401-3-1-d-e)and in the laws concerning having a standing army (or any branch of service) armed while on American soil. The simple answer is no, it is not allowed.

While in uniform, on or off duty, you are a direct representive of your country, service, base, and command. Being armed in uniform is aginst the law as per the constution ( although the Defense Authorization Act of 2007 lifted some of the restrictions of the POTUS to deploy soliders on US soil......I think). Regardless, unless authorized by authority highr than just the unit commanding officer, even concealed carry is not authorized in an off-duty status.

This has been my experience. If someone has more insight and/or diffrent authorizations, please lemme know as well. I'm personally all for carrying in uniform.
    baren likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    I'm a 19 year active duty sailor. This question has been brought up several times during my career. At every place I've been stationed, the regulations have been the same, give or take a few words. Mostly these regulations have been listed/posted at the base/duty station level (I have yet to find where it written at a service/DOD level) BUT the 'loop-hole' regulation almost always cited is found in the uniform regulations ( Uniform regulations:1401-3-1-d-e)and in the laws concerning having a standing army (or any branch of service) armed while on American soil. The simple answer is no, it is not allowed.

While in uniform, on or off duty, you are a direct representive of your country, service, base, and command. Being armed in uniform is aginst the law as per the constution ( although the Defense Authorization Act of 2007 lifted some of the restrictions of the POTUS to deploy soliders on US soil......I think). Regardless, unless authorized by authority highr than just the unit commanding officer, even concealed carry is not authorized in an off-duty status.

This has been my experience. If someone has more insight and/or diffrent authorizations, please lemme know as well. I'm personally all for carrying in uniform.
    Negative. The Constitution says the Government cannot arm the Military and put us out in the public to control the people. There is absolutly no regulation restricting CC off post.

There have been a few CGs that had policies restricting their personnel, but there is no wide spectrum restriction.

I am an active duty Captain and Troop Commander. I CC all the time off post. When I come on post I have to clear and lock my weapon. I can secure it in my vehicle at the office or take it home (I live on post).

EDIT: Of course we are talking about personally owned weapons here. An issued weapon, for guard duty lets say, can not be CC, or used for any unofficial purpose.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by TangoMonkey View Post
    There have been a few CGs that had policies restricting their personnel, but there is no wide spectrum restriction.

EDIT: Of course we are talking about personally owned weapons here. An issued weapon, for guard duty lets say, can not be CC, or used for any unofficial purpose.
    We're talking CC'ing while in uniforn. I've never seen any 'all-incompasning' rule or regulation restricting CC while in uniform in an off-duty status. My post was strictly a 'readres digest' version of the stuff presented to me over more that a couple of discussions on this subject.
    This subject has been directly quoted during a couple of my 'base check-in's' as a no-no....... i.e. some base commanders forbid the carrying any firearm in uniform while off base and off duty.
    Again, I'm for it. Being told no is a definate let-down though.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I understand we're talking CC'ing while in uniform. I CC off post in uniform. Unless your commander or CG (Admiral, in the Navy I guess) says specificaly "no" then you are good to go.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I just did a quick search and I'm starting to think it will be just like your CC permit -- it will vary state by state. Florida does seem to care; Georgia does not seem to care. So I'm not sure there's an easy answer to this one.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I've carried off base, in uniform...without a problem. No AFI preventing it.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links