ER reaction to CC?

ER reaction to CC?

This is a discussion on ER reaction to CC? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife asked me the other day, "What would happen if you had a heart attack or were in a serious car accident, and were ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: ER reaction to CC?

ER reaction to CC?

My wife asked me the other day, "What would happen if you had a heart attack or were in a serious car accident, and were taken to the ER while unconscious? If you were legally carrying concealed, what would they do?"

I'm guessing, but it seems to me that hospital ERs must have a procedure for dealing with guns carried by accident victims...anyone know what that is? Lock the gun away and call the police?

What about if the first responder/EMT saw/felt a pistol on an unconscious victim? How's that handled?

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Most likely Hospital Security would secure the weapon and call the police. If you were legally packing and there was no other reason to think any wrong doing was going on, I'm sure you would get it back from the police after you were discharged. I can imagine that it would be a similar situation with EMS, they would secure the weapon or have someone who knows how to shoot secure the weapon and give it to the police.

This recently crossed my mind too.
    I'll be interested in reading the responses.

Thanks, I just did a search with "hospital" and that basic info came up...I tried to do the same search with "emergency room" previously, but the search function didn't like that.

My friend is a nurse at a major Hospital in Seattle. He works in the ER, he said there policy is to secure any weapons and call security. He said as long as your paperwork checked out, and there is no legal problems, you would get it when you get discharged.

I would call your local hospitals, and see what their policy is.

VIP Member
    In CA, MD and NY procedures require emergency room staff to scream like little girls and run from the room while screaming "OMG OMG MWAG....MWAG!!

Seriously though, as with most things, procedures will vary from hospital to hospital as well as EMS services. Most will have either police or hospital security, secure the weapon until you or a responsible individual can take possession of it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    In CA, MD and NY procedures require emergency room staff to scream like little girls and run from the room while screaming "OMG OMG MWAG....MWAG!!
    LOL! don't forget IL.
    JoJoGunn likes this.

If I'm having a heart attack, I couldn't care less about my firearm...EMS and ER's have procedures for dealing with one's firearm, you don't need to worry about that.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    Quote from my er doc friend: "it all comes off, including the gun". Then it gets returned when you leave. I think it's a simple as that.

Two things will usually happen, first if LE is on scene when you are found to be carrying, the medics will have the LE secure the weapon and hold it for you. The other possibility is that if no LE or it's not noticed until you are in route back to the hospital is the medics will secure it and turn it over to the hospital security or LE at the hospital to hold for you.

This is a very common occurrence and all the medics and hospitals I've heard of have a routine in place to make this work.

Let this be the LEAST of your worries. They'll make sure you are taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    ...Let this be the LEAST of your worries. They'll make sure you are taken care of.
    Not really worried; just something I hadn't thought of until my wife asked about it.

PB2
    This happened to a guy here. He was in a motorcycle accident and the police "secured" his firearm. After he was released from the hospital he tried to retrieve his gun and it had been placed in the evidence locker for safe keeping. It took him a couple of months to get it back. And even then he had to go through a background check before they would return it.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    Most likely Hospital Security would secure the weapon and call the police. If you were legally packing and there was no other reason to think any wrong doing was going on, I'm sure you would get it back from the police after you were discharged. I can imagine that it would be a similar situation with EMS, they would secure the weapon or have someone who knows how to shoot secure the weapon and give it to the police.
    This is in fact the case here. ER staff secures the firearm then calls the local PD or State Police. They clear the firearm, tag it with the patients name, DOB, SS# ect and it is put with the patients personal belongings or turned over to a family member depending on the situation or returned to the patient on dismissal.

This happens more often than you think and based on recent experences, Doctors and ER staff are more familure with firearms that you would have ever thought.

The chances of you ever loosing your firearm (assuming it is legal for you to have one) in a ER situation is pretty much nill in the majority of medical facilities these days.

My Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by rays197 View Post
    LOL! don't forget IL.
    My wife is from Illinois. You get transported to the ER and they discover you are carrying a concealed weapon they just pronounce you dead right then and there.

Seriously though, you cannot legally conceal a handgun on your person in Illinois so don't even think about it.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Around here a concealed carry in the ER wouldn't lift any eyebrows unless you're some gang banger with neck tats'.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links