Do you think this is safe or unsafe?

This is a discussion on Do you think this is safe or unsafe? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently had this discussion with my Father in-law and I'm curious to see what the consensus is here... Do you think it's safe or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think this is safe or unsafe?

Do you think this is safe or unsafe?

I recently had this discussion with my Father in-law and I'm curious to see what the consensus is here...

Do you think it's safe or unsafe to CCW a Sig P229 cocked (the hammer back) or do you think it should be decocked?

2. Remove Ads

IMO, if the firearm is properly holstered with the trigger covered and protected I don't see it to be unsafe. Just curious... what is the trigger pull when your sig is cocked?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Absolutly DECOCK . Sig is in no way safe when cocked , You should ideally decock anytime you move with the weapon , before you move .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Lead Moderator
    Decocked for carry . there is no manual safety, and could easily be accidently fired while holstering. No to be mean , but anyone who believes carrying with it cocked in SA mode needs to get some training and comon sense.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Decocked for carry . there is no manual safety, and could easily be accidently fired while holstering. No to be mean , but anyone who believes carrying with it cocked in SA mode needs to get some training and comon sense.
    This is basically what I was trying to tell him but he just wasn't listening. I told him without a manual safety the gun should be decocked...

I'll have to let him read this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    I am not familiar with sigs to the fullest extent, but how is it going to go off unless you pull the trigger? If clothing is an issue of pulling the trigger...then move your clothing so that it is not in the way. My Glock has no manual safety, is it unsafe?

You're glock doesn't have as light a trigger pull as a typical sig in SA.

It'd be just like carrying a 1911 clocked and unlocked!

No, thanks... a SA/DA with a decocker should be carried decocked.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tn_sig
    I recently had this discussion with my Father in-law and I'm curious to see what the consensus is here...

Do you think it's safe or unsafe to CCW a Sig P229 cocked (the hammer back) or do you think it should be decocked?
    Decocked, thats why they put that little lever on the side!

Seriously, I can't think of a good reason to ever carry cocked, just not safe, and doesn't either require, or take long to cock if you need to fire.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

The glock has a heavier trigger pull and also has the trigger safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Glock
    I am not familiar with sigs to the fullest extent, but how is it going to go off unless you pull the trigger? If clothing is an issue of pulling the trigger...then move your clothing so that it is not in the way. My Glock has no manual safety, is it unsafe?
    This is true, which is why I prefer my GLOCK for concealed carry - it's ready to go upon draw without any steps to be taken to fire. However, in the case of that P229 (I carry that too sometimes), I'd still have it decocked. The round in the chamber will still go off when the trigger is pulled, just a bit heavier of a pull.

Kind of apples/oranges anyhow though, since the GLOCK doesn't have a hammer.

Lead Moderator
    I will not debate the good or bad on a Glock action. However the Sigs I have shot and handled the trigger in SA mode is lighter than a Glocks. While a AD may never happen, I would never carry a cocked SA gun with the safety off, would you? Which is essentially what a cocked Sig 229 is.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

yeah, thats why I asked about the trigger pull (lbs). Forgive my ignorance about sigs triggers lbs.

Decocked. A SA/DA Sig with the hammer cocked has a 3.5 lb trigger pull with no other safetys like the Glocks 5.5 lb trigger pull.

I have a P228 in 9mm and when the hammer is cocked it is VERY easy to fire. I would not feel comfortable at all with it in a holster cocked.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Dangerous

The stock Sig P229 has a 10 lb. double action trigger pull and a 4.5 lb. single action pull, per the Sig website:
    Sigarms website page for P229

I have a P229, and the single action trigger pull is very short and very light - it doesn't take much to set it off. There is no way I would cock the gun and stuff it in a holster - the trigger could easily snag on something and fire the gun into your leg. In double action, the trigger pull is long and 10 lbs are required, so it is safe to carry in the decocked condition if you are careful.

Administrator
    Chamber the round ~ Point the firearm in a safe direction and Use The SIG Decocker to Decock that firearm and drop the hammer to the correct carry position.

The SIG is not intended to be carried with the hammer in the fully cocked position.

If you feel that your first DA shot has too long or heavy of a trigger pull then have a lighter mainspring installed and have your Double Action trigger pull tuned.

If you have a smaller hand or shorter fingers then you can also order a shorter pull trigger from SIG and have that installed.
    Do not holster the SIG fully cocked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links