Point of contact.

Point of contact.

This is a discussion on Point of contact. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, In ohio the rule is you have to notify an officer of cc at the point of contact. But exactly what is the point ...

Thread: Point of contact.

Question Point of contact.

Hi, In ohio the rule is you have to notify an officer of cc at the point of contact. But exactly what is the point of contact ? I think obviously traffic stops, or if an officer directly approaches you and begins a coversation. But suppose you are in line at a gas station to pay for something and an officer comes into the store after fueling his cruiser. he/she steps up next to you to put the gas on the dept's card but doesn't directly speak with you. Maybe even stands next to you for a couple of minutes, heck I would say hi just out of habit (I acknowledge anybody who is resonably close to me). Should I then blurt out hey I got a permit and a firearm ? Okay guys what do you think.
    The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

It should be the same in Ohio like it is everywhere else, so I would say that when a LEO engages you directly as part of his official capacity. If you say "hi" I don't think that qualifies as an "official contact". I think it'd be safe to say that if they take the initiative to contact you, then it's an official contact, or if you take the initiative to contact them for a law enforcement matter.

Cheers.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I would guess that it would be if the officer(in uniform)speaks directly to you (not the crowd that you are in) or he motions to you. A plain clothes officer would have to have his badge and/or ID visable.

CAUTION :::> this, without looking in lawbooks. -------

If he is contacting you in an official capacity, not casual contact. Ohio really needs to tighten up their language. Their carry while in a car rule leaves a lot to be desired.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    I think you're right in assuming that there's no need to advise unless there's an official "in the line of duty" contact with the LEO.

I had a LEO at my Starbucks hangout really eyeball my right hip as he was in line and I was sitting in one of those big over stuffed chairs. I must have been printing when I sat down. Since he was obviously interested I stood up, walked over to him in line and quietly said " don't worry, I have a CCW." He said "actually I, was curious about what holster you used because when you were standing I couldn't see a thing. I just caught a hint of your grip when you sat down". (all I had covering my P-226 was a tee shirt!)

Well, we ended up chatting over our lattes and I told him all about Milt Sparks and the VersaMax II holster!

Nevada LEO's are really cool!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Moderator
    In ohio the rule is you have to notify an officer of cc at the point of contact
    That should have been included in your CCW class.

"Point of Contact" is made not by you, but by the officer.

If he walks up to you and makes an "official inquiry" that goes beyond the small time language in passing, then you can inform him.
    If he just engages in small talk, you shouldnt have to worry.Small talk would be at a gas station talking about the weather,chit chatting at the PDQ and so forth.

"Point of Contact" assumes that an officer has a valid question relating to an official capacity. If he stops your vehicle on a traffic stop, that is a POC. If he asks you for a witness statement to an accident that is a POC. If he had a question about your parked car and wants to know why your registration sticker has expired that is a POC.

Got it ?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by soundwave
    It should be the same in Ohio like it is everywhere else, so I would say that when a LEO engages you directly as part of his official capacity.
    Where is "everywhere else"?
    In Florida, for instance, you never need to voluntarily disclose that you are carrying a concealed weapon.
    Good luck. :)
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Quote Originally Posted by sarhog
    In Florida, for instance, you never need to voluntarily disclose that you are carrying a concealed weapon.
    Oklahoma requires notification, generally where others have mentioned .. during an official contact initiated by the officer. Specifically it says, "...during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop."

That would seem to preclude the need to notify if I approached him/her, even though my contact was because of his/her official capacity. At any point during my contact, I may be asked questions .. at that point, would I be on thin ice? I dunno .. rhetorical question. It's one of those that will probably be up to the DA. But, the statute is pretty explicit.

Well thanks for the input. Ohio is sort of gray about point of contact other than any 'official' contact with an officer. I have spoken with an officer and asked about this, but the question was affectively ducked. I don't think that the question was ducked because of agenda, but perhaps a lack of clarity about the question on my part.
    The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by sarhog
    lol I meant the definition of what an "official contact" is, not notifying a LEO. In AZ the only time we have to notify is when we are specifically asked for our permit. ;O)

Cheers.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Has anyone seen the Sayers incident video? Guy gets felony-stopped after someone called in a man-with-a-gun. Ordered to get out of his car over loudspeaker while an LEO covers him with an AR-15. Later there is a point of contention that he did not declare his weapon when "contacted". Besides the fact that they already KNEW since that was the subject of the 911 call, I'd think that yelling back that I had a gun would have a high likelihood of creating more holes than I currently need.

http://ohioccwforums.org/files/dashcam.asx
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002
    Has anyone seen the Sayers incident video? Guy gets felony-stopped after someone called in a man-with-a-gun. Ordered to get out of his car over loudspeaker while an LEO covers him with an AR-15. Later there is a point of contention that he did not declare his weapon when "contacted". Besides the fact that they already KNEW since that was the subject of the 911 call, I'd think that yelling back that I had a gun would have a high likelihood of creating more holes than I currently need.

http://ohioccwforums.org/files/dashcam.asx
    Scarey how the leo with the loaded ar lays it on the hood pointing towards the busy street, and sheeple say only leos can safely carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soundwave
    It should be the same in Ohio like it is everywhere else, so I would say that when a LEO engages you directly as part of his official capacity. If you say "hi" I don't think that qualifies as an "official contact". I think it'd be safe to say that if they take the initiative to contact you, then it's an official contact, or if you take the initiative to contact them for a law enforcement matter.

Cheers.
    well said....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Sponsored Links