You CCw, Don't you?

This is a discussion on You CCw, Don't you? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can not count the times that I have been asked this. From casual aquaintances to close friends, they all assume that I do. It's ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: You CCw, Don't you?

You CCw, Don't you?

I can not count the times that I have been asked this. From casual aquaintances to close friends, they all assume that I do. It's a personal decision and I really don't like to have it broadcasted. It elludes me why this is assumed about me. I'm careful about printing, flashing, etc. I have asked why they assume this and normally the response is something like...I just thought that you would. I am a positive type of person who doesn't mind sharing an opinion occasionally. Perhaps my assertive attitude lends an air of confidence? Does anybody else experience this? Are we being casually profiled? Maybe these people are looking for security in social settings? Who knows?

db
    Kimber PCII .45
    Springfield XD9mm SC
    Kel-Tech P-11 9mm
    AR-15

2. Remove Ads

Nope. Never. There are people I have told at work (most there have their ccw- including the CEO), so if we discuss it there, I know why. No other acquaintances, friends, colleagues, customers, or relatives have ever asked out of the blue.

I doubt simply looking confident sends the I-have-a-gun signal, or anyone who took a Dale Carnegie class would get a shake-down.

You must be sending out some other signals. Do you wear tacticool gear, gun/NRA hats, or camo/hunting stuff?

Carry what?? A gun oh heck no those things are dangerous.....

Yes. Maybe. No. Who knows. Possibly. I don't.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Is it possible some of them are considering carrying and want advice?

If they are casual acquaintances who somehow know you own guns perhaps your cover has been blown
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

PB2
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    You must be sending out some other signals. Do you wear tacticool gear, gun/NRA hats, or camo/hunting stuff?
    Perhaps it's the badge on his belt? J/K

Nope, no Rambo/NRA stuff badges, no gun racks in the truck. I do travel the metro area in St. Louis a lot for my job. It's normally in safe areas/hours though. Dale Carnegie remark was hilarious Mad Mac. I just found it an odd thing to happen since I haven't really shared.
    db
    Kimber PCII .45
    Springfield XD9mm SC
    Kel-Tech P-11 9mm
    AR-15

Senior Moderator
    Nope. Actually, I get the opposite.

When people find out I carry they usually say something along the lines of "I would have never pegged you as someone to carry a gun."

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    db4, do you talk about guns and/or carrying while in mixed company? There's gotta be a carrot that they're grabbing onto...maybe?
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Nope!,nobody knows i carry except my wife,daughter & father-in-law.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Most people I know assume that I do, even though I don't (solely because I can't afford a carry gun yet) but a lot of that has to do with the reputation I've garnered among most of my friends as "the manliest man they know"- I don't necessarily agree with this assessment but I suppose compared to the average 21 year old college student it's at least a little true.

I'm an Eagle Scout, people know I hunt and fish because I'm more or less unreachable for about 6 weeks between November and December and I find myself on a fishing trip about once a year, I've taken several trusted friends to the shooting range, I'm the one that drives a Jeep and knows how to work on it, I've got a knife and a flashlight on me if I'm wearing pants, I know a little about basic carpentry and have and can use power tools, etc., etc. I think I just fit the profile of the type of person who people would expect to carry.

My outward appearance is, overall, Casper Milquetoast. Which I really am; I'm a devout coward, but I'm armed nearly every waking moment. I also walk in public with my head up and at a pace which says I know where I'm going and I'm headed there now.

Blessedly, few people know I go about armed, but the ones who do know are typically like-minded. I can't count all the folks who would be shocked to learn that I carry... not that I care!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

What?? And practice my 2nd ammendmant right? Nahh...
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Around here, guns are just part of everyday life. Unless its about a gun brand or what have you, the subject of carrying, using guns is typically not an issue.

VIP Member
    If ever asked that question, my response would a simple question back.

Don't you?

Even though I know most are not armed, I don't assume any particular person is unarmed.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links