Cringed watching the news tonight

This is a discussion on Cringed watching the news tonight within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 'Ladies' Night' targets women shooters - TODAY'S TMJ4 Check out the video...I love the fact that these women are arming themselves...but it scares me how ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Cringed watching the news tonight

Cringed watching the news tonight

'Ladies' Night' targets women shooters - TODAY'S TMJ4

Check out the video...I love the fact that these women are arming themselves...but it scares me how poor their gun handling is and more importantly the fact that they aren't being corrected. Fingers are all over the triggers, guns are being pointed every which way, literally just made me cringe watching. When I'm with someone new to shooting I ALWAYS teach them to keep their trigger finger outside the trigger guard and always keep it pointed in a safe direction BEFORE I hand them a gun. That firearms instructor isn't someone I would ever want to go to.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

2. Remove Ads

And you think their newbie gun handling is any different than men's?

Were their instructors men or women? Who was teaching them how to handle their firearms?

For the record, I personally wouldnt make blanket statements about the gender of instructors either.
    baren, limatunes and SARR001 like this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I am all for women learning to protect their self. But i would like to see them do it safely !!! That male instructor should have been going around on a mission and telling these ladies to keep those fingers off the triggers and keep em pointed away from the other people. They may be unloaded but still you never know when a random bullet is going to enter the situation. I also, am not real big on people walking around dry firing guns while they are pointed at other people ! I was always raised to never dry fire a gun period but that video just looked like an accident waiting to happen.
    Firearms - A passion you can really enjoy, and if ya keep your head up outta your butt you can enjoy it for many years to come - Will (Red Jacket Firearms)

I dont think the situation in this video had gotten to the point of shooting, more of buying a gun. Yes safety was totally disregarded here, but I dont think the man in the video was an instructor, but a salesman. I was impressed with the lady at the end of the video that wasnt comfortable carrying a gun but wanted to educate herself about them. She probably has many anti-gun views but is open to learn....very good.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post

Were their instructors men or women? Who was teaching them how to handle their firearms?

For the record, I personally wouldnt make blanket statements about the gender of instructors either.

Funny, I didn't see where the OP implied anything that should be considered gender biased.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post

What I got out of the OP's post was that he was concerned that when a bunch of newbies (who in the instance provided happen to be women as this fit the purpose of the story) were exhibiting poor habits (because they had not been trained) those with more experience did not try to teach them good habits. Given that this was on TV, and it does not represent guns well as they were not being responsibly handled, the OP was concerned and cringed.

I didn't see any sexist intent here and you are right, a bunch of newbie guys could be as poorly trained as this group was. It's a training issue.
    jem102 likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    I understand the OP concerns. However from what I gathered from the video, this was prior to the start of the first class. If that is the case the women have not been instructed in the safe handling of guns yet. Having the guns sitting out was probably not a good idea, but then again, how much was staged for the press.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I understand the OP concerns. However from what I gathered from the video, this was prior to the start of the first class. If that is the case the women have not been instructed in the safe handling of guns yet. Having the guns sitting out was probably not a good idea, but then again, how much was staged for the press.
    ... and how much was cut out? Safety drills don't make good T.V., nor do they mesh well with the anti's (media) POV.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    The Cabela's "salesman" in the video really needs to upgrade his safety mindset when selling firearms. Educating his customers is part of his job.
    357and40 and Tzadik like this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

The guy says that women don't have bad habits to be broken. Good grief, everyone of those ladies was pointing those guns in unsafe directions and pulling the triggers! The one lady looking for one that fit her personality was pointing it AT THE TV INTERVIEWER! And he just stood there! I'd have said, "hey, point that thing at the floor lady!".

Scary!

Furthermore I think small handguns for women is a bad idea. I have shot snub revolvers and .380's and they kick harder than my .45 or 9mm. With the Kahrs and Nano's being so small in 9mm, they are a much better choice for ladies.
    357and40 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    What I got out of the OP's post was that he was concerned that when a bunch of newbies (who in the instance provided happen to be women as this fit the purpose of the story) were exhibiting poor habits (because they had not been trained) those with more experience did not try to teach them good habits. Given that this was on TV, and it does not represent guns well as they were not being responsibly handled, the OP was concerned and cringed.

I didn't see any sexist intent here and you are right, a bunch of newbie guys could be as poorly trained as this group was. It's a training issue.
    Exactly, newbie men (my brother in law) acted the same way until I corrected him and taught him proper ways. Point being, it doesn't portray firearms positively as they're just being pointed in every unsafe direction imaginable, triggers being pulled, etc...if the story made me a little uncomfortable I can only imagine how the anti's or at just the "firearm leery" types of people felt about it. Whether the guy in the video was an instructor or salesman part of his job is to educate on the proper and safe handling of the firearms.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

Teaching proper handling and safety needs to commence right away, whether they are shooting or not, whether there is ammunition present or not. You want to develop the proper habits for handling a gun at all times. Exceptions are when accidents happen - always do it the same and correct way. The instructor did seem a little too laid back about it. And it has nothing to do with gender - go to the local gun shop and you can see plenty of gun-naive men who need to be trained up about how to properly treat a handgun.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Furthermore I think small handguns for women is a bad idea. I have shot snub revolvers and .380's and they kick harder than my .45 or 9mm. With the Kahrs and Nano's being so small in 9mm, they are a much better choice for ladies.
    I am a 60 year old woman and have a Bodyguard 380 which I can handle just fine. I also practice with hubby's Bersa Thunder 380 and I can handle it just fine. I am confident with both. Practice and stay safe.
    9MMare and AKsrule like this.
    Carpe Diem

Quote Originally Posted by DAO.Diva View Post
    I am a 60 year old woman and have a Bodyguard 380 which I can handle just fine. I also practice with hubby's Bersa Thunder 380 and I can handle it just fine. I am confident with both. Practice and stay safe.
    Didn't say NO women can handle the .380. But I know my wife HATED my .38 snubby with +P ammo and it hurt her wrist. I will say, in addition to easier to shoot (IMO) the larger the caliber the faster the fight will end. For a woman, that is even more paramount than a man.

Lost a teaching moment.

What an opportunity to encourage and teach gun safety. It would have been much better to have shown an instructor (male, female, other) demonstrating proper firearm handling. Then having the women checking out the weapons using the techniques they just learned.

I don't care that the guns were unloaded. DANGIT they are NEVER UNLOADED. Even for newbies.

BTW: I watched that last night with my wife. It was very very hard on the senses. I've NEVER seen anyone handle weapons that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links