Do "haunted houses" allow CCW?

This is a discussion on Do "haunted houses" allow CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis If they dont sale booze you should be ok. SELL??????...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Do "haunted houses" allow CCW?

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    If they dont sale booze you should be ok.
    SELL??????
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

That would be a great place to practice for the zombie apocolypse.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Funny thing about me and concealed carry. I carry, but if I have an option, and I know a destination is in a "bad" part of town at night, I'll simply not go. I carry my ccw, but if I think I'm going to need it, I will do everything possible to avoid that locale. Ironic, isn't it?
    Generally I do the same. For example, if I need to go to Wal-Mart, there is one in several miles both in opposite directions of my home. If I go, I always go to the one in the better part of town. But in some cases, especially being that I didn't pick the local but was invited by a group of friends, I can't really chose. I either go or don't go.

Sounds like you have options. Personally, if I chose to go, I would go unarmed - too many people close-up doing stupid "scary" stuff inside this "haunted" house. You stated there may be a long line. IOW, you will be in a crowded haunted house with actors jumping out trying to scare you. Many chances for accidents, exposure, etc. Sounds like a Rule of Three Stupids violation to me if someone brings in a handgun.

I have seen these attractions before, and they seem to attract teens juiced up on mom's Sloe Gin playing grab-arse with each other: lots of horseplay and the like. I would NOT want to be there armed, and not because I think it's a safe place. The place is an accident waiting to happen. If you are mature enough to carry a firearm for personal protection, you are mature enough to have better forms of entertainment.
    Well, as I said in the OP. I have never been to one of these. However, I've read some stories today and there seems to be a lot of truth to what you are saying. I expect I'll be carrying my BUG just for that reason. Even though it will most likely be dark, somebody could bump into me and feel a gun if I were wearing my Glock 19 in an OWB holster. So I'm going to put my little bug on. Haven't decided if I'm going to go with ankle holster, pocket holster, or IWB holster yet.. guess it depends on what clothes end up wearing. Anyway, point being it would be very unlikely for anyone to know it is there or for any kind of accident.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

A gun isn't going to help you against ghosts. This is what you want.

221_4983122395.jpg
    Tzadik and Dadsnugun like this.

I'd say it depends on the state. In NC I would think not since we can't carry anywhere that charges admission.

Do you want these people carrying? hilarious!!!

Enjoy..... 20 pages of it Flickr: Nightmares Fear Factory's Photostream

Haunted house in Niagara Falls takes pics of patrons:

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Haunted houses are stupid and you knowingly put yourself into a bad situation/neighborhood at night for what? Dumb move. That said, concealed means concealed.
    I have to agree and remind the OP of the Rule of Three Stupids.

(1) Don't do stupid things
    (2) Don't go to stupid places
    (3) Don't hang out with stupid people.

Either last year, or the year before, in Kansas City, some stupid person with a ccw permit did a stupid thing and shot one of the Haunted House employee's with his legally concealed pistol because the character the employee was playing scared him.

Needless to say, when he gets out of prison, he doesn't have to worry about where he can carry a gun anymore.

Also, as a side note... They usually herd people through those places like cattle. Very close together and there's a lot of bumping and groping. Darkness, fog machines, strobe lights, and mazes. Lots of pushing and shoving. A "Pickpockets" real dream scenario. It's a good way to lose your gun if it's not very secure and tucked away. Either by accident or by a thief.

That said, in my state, if the haunted house was posted no guns, it would basically be a meaningless sign.

So, again, if you carry your gun inside or not, do you really want to be going to Haunted Houses? When I got my ccw permit, that was kind of a sign that I had grown up, and out grown such juvenile crap.
    smolck and Tzadik like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Not sure on Texas law but also either by the ads or by calling ahead make sure the HH is not sponsored by a school or profits go to a school as it may be considered a school function and fall under the school zone rulings. Again not sure what the laws are in Texas regarding carrying on school property or to what lengths they extend the laws to.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Do they allow guns??? pphhh...that werewolf's head isnt going to explode all by itself. but seriously, unless the tiajuana cartel just so happens to be doing a drug deal that goes bad and just so happens to be in the area of this particular haunted house, I'd leave it in the car.

No problems in Utah. Just remember that none of it is real.

Just an update on last night.

We got really lucky and ended up getting a parking spot at the actual haunted house, rather than having to walk a mile from a nearby parking lot. I think it is because we got there early. So our vehicle was parked about the same as if you parked at Wal-Mart in one of the furthest parking spots from the store.

However, there was already a large line at the entrance. I looked around for signs and couldn't find anything, except by the ticket booth there was an old 30.05 sign saying nobody but a peace officer may enter with a concealed weapon. However, these signs are obsolete in Texas and have no meaning and it looked like the sign was about 20 years old. However, we couldn't actually see the entrance to the building due to the long line. I couldn't tell if they were wanding people either.

We counted about 5 police officers standing around. So we decided we'd just go ask one of the officers if they knew if concealed carry was off limits at this place. However, the moment we started walking towards one, they all went inside the building through a back door. We waited about 5 minutes to see if any of them would come back out. But the line kept getting longer, so we decided to just leave the guns in the car because we were afraid we'd have to get out of line and start over if there was a posted sign or a wander.

After waiting in line for nearly an hour, there ended up being no sign at the entrance, nor any metal detectors. So we certainly could have carried.

OK.. So how was my first haunted house experience? Well, pretty dumb. It was dark as imaginable, often I couldn't see where to go and had to feel my way around. There were plenty of people trying to jump out and scare me, but it didn't scare me because I knew they weren't going to hurt me. Actually, more than anything I felt like they were annoying the crap out of me. I kept asking myself, "Why did I pay these guys $30 so that they could annoy me for an hour?" The scenery was rather boring because most of it was too dark to even tell what it was. The music was so loud it was impossible to speak to anyone else. And there were some really annoying things too. For example, we had to walk through this room that was filled with soap bubbles neck-high. And to make matters worse I couldn't tell which way to go because the rest of the room was dark fog. So everyone was wading neck-high in soap bubbles. When I got out of the room, I felt like those guys on Ghostbusters after they blew up the stay-puft marshmellow man. I had those bubbles just covering me and my glasses. I was wet all over.

So, had I been carrying my gun, I don't really foresee that there would have been a problem, though. True, I bumped into some people, and some people bumped into me. But it was so dark nobody would have realized what it was had they felt my weapon. Heck, I could have been open carrying and nobody would have noticed. I think it would have been pretty tough for anyone to pickpocket just due to the darkness. They would have had to feel around to find the wallet, gun, etc. I would have noticed.

There was a scary part to this story, though. I rode with my friend who drives a Jeep. He took a wrong turn when we left the haunted house and accidentally drove us into the most ghetto, gang-infested neighborhoods I've ever seen. It appeared to be a black-gang neighborhood. Now, I don't know much about gangs, but there were lots of guys standing around who were all dressed almost exactly the same, with these black things on their heads (not sure what you would call those) and same color shirts and shorts. Some of the buildings we passed had crime-scene tape around them. It was midnight, and they all seemed to be starring at us as we drove through. Of all the dumb things, my friend stopped his jeep and pulled the key out of the ignition. I thought he was trying to play some dumb joke on me. I screamed at him, "what are you doing, get us out of here!" But what he was really doing was unlocking his center console so that he could get his gun out of there. Apparently his center console uses the same key as his ignition. Still, I was have much preferred he just kept driving than to stop there and get his gun. I had mine on my waistband, anyway.

So that was the only scary part of the night. My friends had a great time at the haunted house and really seemed to be enjoying it. I seemed to be the only one who thought the whole experience was annoying. I do not believe I'll be going back.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    ...but there were lots of guys standing around who were all dressed almost exactly the same, with these black things on their heads (not sure what you would call those) and same color shirts and shorts.
    In Missouri we call them hats.

Not sure about Texas though.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I've never been to one of these before, but some friends invited me tonight to this one in down town Ft.Worth. It is supposed to be the best one in the country, although I wouldn't know since I won't have anything to compare it with. At least one of the people going with me does have a CHL. I asked him if he knew their rules on that, but he wasn't sure. I went to their website and there are tons of warnings all over there for people with medical conditions, pregnant, etc. But nothing about weapons. I did google searches but came up pretty dry on anything. I did find one account on the internet of a person going to a Haunted House in a different state with their concealed handgun. He said the place had a security guard with a wand, but there were no signs prohibiting guns. When the security guard's wand went off he asked the CHL holder if that was his keys, which he said yes and went right in.

So that is an interesting question. What happens if you arrive at the front door and there are no 30.06 signs and the security guard wands you and finds something. When he asks what it is, you tell the truth and say, "It is my gun." I mean, it is sort of obvious if they have a guy wanding people that they are probably looking for weapons. But if they have no signs specifically saying that, it would just be an assumption on anyone's part that weapons are not allowed.

So you might ask, well why not just leave the gun in the car? Well, it will be at night in a sort of bad area of town. There will probably be a decent walk from the car to the place we are going. I also hear there may be a long line to get in. I'd hate to walk all that distance, wait in line, only to be denied access. On the other hand, I'd hate to walk through a bad part of town at night unarmed.
    I wouldn't want to carry a gun in an enclosed area with tons of children walking around in the dark. Just go without the gun - gun accident's are rare but they happen, the dark, trips, falls, screams of kids - kids running maybe -

no way for me.

I think most of us here already prepped you for that. You should have taken our advice.

BTW, adric22... what are they charging for admission for haunted houses these days? Was it money well spent?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links