Do "haunted houses" allow CCW?

This is a discussion on Do "haunted houses" allow CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've never been to one of these before, but some friends invited me tonight to this one in down town Ft.Worth. It is supposed to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Do "haunted houses" allow CCW?

Do "haunted houses" allow CCW?

I've never been to one of these before, but some friends invited me tonight to this one in down town Ft.Worth. It is supposed to be the best one in the country, although I wouldn't know since I won't have anything to compare it with. At least one of the people going with me does have a CHL. I asked him if he knew their rules on that, but he wasn't sure. I went to their website and there are tons of warnings all over there for people with medical conditions, pregnant, etc. But nothing about weapons. I did google searches but came up pretty dry on anything. I did find one account on the internet of a person going to a Haunted House in a different state with their concealed handgun. He said the place had a security guard with a wand, but there were no signs prohibiting guns. When the security guard's wand went off he asked the CHL holder if that was his keys, which he said yes and went right in.

So that is an interesting question. What happens if you arrive at the front door and there are no 30.06 signs and the security guard wands you and finds something. When he asks what it is, you tell the truth and say, "It is my gun." I mean, it is sort of obvious if they have a guy wanding people that they are probably looking for weapons. But if they have no signs specifically saying that, it would just be an assumption on anyone's part that weapons are not allowed.

So you might ask, well why not just leave the gun in the car? Well, it will be at night in a sort of bad area of town. There will probably be a decent walk from the car to the place we are going. I also hear there may be a long line to get in. I'd hate to walk all that distance, wait in line, only to be denied access. On the other hand, I'd hate to walk through a bad part of town at night unarmed.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

2. Remove Ads

Take your concealed firearm and have someone stand in line while you work your way to catch a view of the entrance and look for signs and/or searching. Then if there are signs then you have time to walk back to the car while the other person is in line.
    joker1 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Do you have a small BUG you could just take instead, and carry even if they have a sign up?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I've never seen one posted, just make sure you don't go into "Zombie Mode" and start shooting the props.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Do you have a small BUG you could just take instead, and carry even if they have a sign up?
    Not a smart idea. If legally posted, it carries the weight of law in TX and he could lose permit for doing so if caught.

I doubt you'll find it posted, but if so you have the choice of disarming, or opting out of entering.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Not a smart idea. If legally posted, it carries the weight of law in TX and he could lose permit for doing so if caught.

I doubt you'll find it posted, but if so you have the choice of disarming, or opting out of entering.
    x2. Be smart about it.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Why must you guys apply logic and reason? lol

I regret posting that, as it is something that I wouldn't even do myself. I originally said to just disarm and store it in the car, but edited that post after rereading the OP and seeing that he did not want to do that.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Does TX have a generalized law against carry in places where admission is charged? If not, and there is no proper signs, you should be good to go. While they may have a 'wander' you are also legally licensed to carry. You might also consider calling ahead and simply asking.
    Tzadik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Does TX have a generalized law against carry in places where admission is charged? If not, and there is no proper signs, you should be good to go. While they may have a 'wander' you are also legally licensed to carry. You might also consider calling ahead and simply asking.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    If they dont sale booze you should be ok.

probably not....Zombies don't like hollow points.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Haunted houses are stupid and you knowingly put yourself into a bad situation/neighborhood at night for what? Dumb move. That said, concealed means concealed.

Carry your ceramic GLOCK 7, and don't shoot frankenstein he's just misunderstood.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    So you might ask, well why not just leave the gun in the car? Well, it will be at night in a sort of bad area of town. There will probably be a decent walk from the car to the place we are going. I also hear there may be a long line to get in. I'd hate to walk all that distance, wait in line, only to be denied access. On the other hand, I'd hate to walk through a bad part of town at night unarmed.
    Funny thing about me and concealed carry. I carry, but if I have an option, and I know a destination is in a "bad" part of town at night, I'll simply not go. I carry my ccw, but if I think I'm going to need it, I will do everything possible to avoid that locale. Ironic, isn't it?

You have painted an interesting picture with conflicting issues: "best in the country", long lines of people (popular), but in "bad" part of town in the dark.

Sounds like you have options. Personally, if I chose to go, I would go unarmed - too many people close-up doing stupid "scary" stuff inside this "haunted" house. You stated there may be a long line. IOW, you will be in a crowded haunted house with actors jumping out trying to scare you. Many chances for accidents, exposure, etc. Sounds like a Rule of Three Stupids violation to me if someone brings in a handgun.

I have seen these attractions before, and they seem to attract teens juiced up on mom's Sloe Gin playing grab-arse with each other: lots of horseplay and the like. I would NOT want to be there armed, and not because I think it's a safe place. The place is an accident waiting to happen. If you are mature enough to carry a firearm for personal protection, you are mature enough to have better forms of entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    AFAIK NC is one of a few states with that whacky regulation

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links