Dry fire drills

Dry fire drills

This is a discussion on Dry fire drills within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've never really done dry fire drills other than practicing when it goes click to run through the malfunction/empty protocol. What do you do in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Dry fire drills

Dry fire drills

I've never really done dry fire drills other than practicing when it goes click to run through the malfunction/empty protocol. What do you do in terms of dry fire that has helped you and what should I put into my training?
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    IMHO, Dryfire is instrumental in accuracy in shooting, it allows you to practice proper technique and trigger control without the distraction of live rounds and or worrying about hits on target. just focus on technique, sight alignment and trigger control, then these functions will become second nature when you need to use them. It has helped me immensely with my on target accuracy.
    Truckinfavis likes this.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Practice acquiring and reacquiring a target, trigger control, consistency in trigger squeeze and sight picture.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Muscle memory, muscle memory, muscle memory...
    SpencerB likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

After every dry fire do you tap and wrack to build the muscle memory of *click*=clear malfunction...?
    Psalm 23

Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    After every dry fire do you tap and wrack to build the muscle memory of *click*=clear malfunction...?
    If that's what I am working on I will, but sometimes I just simulate the click as the gun went off then I rack and reacquire my target.

I feel that one of the best uses of laser grips is the ability to dry fire practice while getting feedback from the laser in target. The laser on the wall, for instance, shows your ability to lock on the target with a steady aim while going through the motions. Some say lasers are useless in a true self defense situation, as things move quickly and it may be impossible to acquire the sight of the laser on the BG, and that may be true. But no one can argue their advantages when it comes to dry fire practice!
    9MMare likes this.

I dont think I have any drills that are different from others, but I do have some absolute safety rules.

All my live ammo stays in one room of the house, period. Unless secured for going out (in my gun) there is never any live ammo anywhere else in the house. Gun is loaded and unloaded in one room only.

So when I come to the living room, where I do most of my dry firing, I come in, clear my weapon (it has already been unloaded in other room, but I do the same safety check again), and then I can load snap caps, do drills for drawing, etc etc etc.
    gunthorp likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I dont think I have any drills that are different from others, but I do have some absolute safety rules.

All my live ammo stays in one room of the house, period. Unless secured for going out (in my gun) there is never any live ammo anywhere else in the house. Gun is loaded and unloaded in one room only.

So when I come to the living room, where I do most of my dry firing, I come in, clear my weapon (it has already been unloaded in other room, but I do the same safety check again), and then I can load snap caps, do drills for drawing, etc etc etc.
    Good plan. That's the way do my drills, too.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Let me suggest the simplest of dry fire drills. Presuming all safety measures have been taken, take correct aim at a relatively small target. With your sight concentrated on the front sight, squeeze the trigger. When the hammer or striker engages, see if your sight has moved even slightly from your target. If so, this is a trigger control issue that can be remedied through a few hundred or so so dry firings. The dividends will show up greatly in live fire at the range.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

I will say that having added a laser bullet to my dry fire practice has made it even more productive.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

I have read that some people put a dime on the front sight when dry firing. I'm going to try that the next time I do it.

I have a half dozen snap caps that I bought and a few dummy rounds painted blue that I made a couple of years ago.

^^ I was literally just up doing that...I was using pennies actually and doing it with both hands, strong hand only and weak hand only and seeing how many pennies I could stack on the front sight without them falling off
    Psalm 23

cj
    The big thing I've found in dry fire practice is to make sure you're doing the fundamentals correctly. It doesn't do much good to practice something incorrectly and have it ingrained with a thousand repetitions.

For my personal practice, it ranges from complete present from a holster through firing a shot, to simply practicing grip and trigger control (my two weakest areas at the moment).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links