military CC in uniform?

military CC in uniform?

This is a discussion on military CC in uniform? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hello all, I haven't been able to find this in navy regs anywhere but I was wondering if anyone knew if active duty or drilling ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: military CC in uniform?

military CC in uniform?

hello all,
    I haven't been able to find this in navy regs anywhere but I was wondering if anyone knew if active duty or drilling reserves are allowed to carry while in uniform. I know you're not allowed to have a gun on base unless it's being transported to and from the armory but what about at recruiting stations, MEPS offices, off base military hospitals and other areas where you're supposed to be in uniform? so far the only regs I'm seeing regard cell phones(not exactly helpful). as long as you are not printing and it does not detract from professional appearance I would think that it would be fine but I fingered I'd ask the masses first.
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

I carried in uniform a number of times off base where I was legal locally to do so. I think that you pegged the answer - don't print or detract from the professional appearance in uniform. I never had a problem.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

did you carry in service, dress, or working uniforms? the reason I'm asking is I'm getting ready to do harp duty so I'm going to be off base in service uniform on a daily basis for 2 weeks.

Mostly in blues or full service dress using a SmartCarry. Mess dress fits too tightly and is tailored, which I could never overcome for carry. Concealing something small in ABUs would probably work because of the big pockets, or something larger IWB under the shirt as long as you don't take it off. Flight suit also has some choice pockets as well.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

I'm about oposite. my crackerjacks are way to tight to pack in and I dont even know how I would pull that off but when they got rid of the johnny cashes and icecream man uniforms I got my service uniforms a little large to begin with and now I've dropped quite a bit of weight while on deployment. I think I can pull it off with the peanut butters but dress blues would be impossible

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahunua001 View Post
    hello all,
    I haven't been able to find this in navy regs anywhere but I was wondering if anyone knew if active duty or drilling reserves are allowed to carry while in uniform. I know you're not allowed to have a gun on base unless it's being transported to and from the armory but what about at recruiting stations, MEPS offices, off base military hospitals and other areas where you're supposed to be in uniform? so far the only regs I'm seeing regard cell phones(not exactly helpful). as long as you are not printing and it does not detract from professional appearance I would think that it would be fine but I fingered I'd ask the masses first.
    Those are all considered military offices and under DOD control. Carry is not going to be allowed. If you do and get caught, you are facing Federal charges not state charges. I can think of much better places than Ft Leavenworth KS to spend the next 5 years.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Those are all considered military offices and under DOD control. Carry is not going to be allowed. If you do and get caught, you are facing Federal charges not state charges. I can think of much better places than Ft Leavenworth KS to spend the next 5 years.
    I'm thinking more about transiting to and from the recruiting station. IE gas stops, grocery stores, insurance offices, fast food, etc. my odds of getting shot up in the recruiting offices are pretty slim compared to being in a gas station during a stickup. the recruiters are in a strip mall so the parking lot is not federal property as it is shared by all businesses in the building so as long as I disarmed before going in it would still be legal from a federal and state stand point, I just wanted to know if it was within uniform regs

hello all,
    Surely you jest!!! No how, No way, NOT ANYTIME!!!
    baren likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

That is a great question and one I would definitely have a definitive answer either for or against before I carried concealed while in uniform.
    Nowadays, there are too many politically correct legal nuts out there that might try to figure out a way to try and nullify the 2nd amendment using you as an example. Of course that's not likely but who knows.
    Personally, I think you are a great example of a VERY responsible person who carries concealed because you asked the question.
    Sometimes, I think we all forget that anyone of us who carry concealed could be the Domino that makes the entire thing all fall over if we do something stupid. So I guess we all have the weight of the Brotherhood/Sisterhood on our shoulders each time we step out of the house with a concealed handgun.
    Once again, great question!
    I am looking at political consequences as well as legal. the main problem is that if anything did go down to where I was forced to defend myself and I ended up killing the BG it doesn't matter if the guy had a gun to the governors head, all the news stations around the country would read "US NAVY SAILOR SHOOTS TEENAGER IN STREET". something the dept of the DON and DOD dont like having to deal with and will probably have someone to make an example of.

VIP Member
    I am looking at political consequences as well as legal. the main problem is that if anything did go down to where I was forced to defend myself and I ended up killing the BG it doesn't matter if the guy had a gun to the governors head, all the news stations around the country would read "US NAVY SAILOR SHOOTS TEENAGER IN STREET". something the dept of the DON and DOD dont like having to deal with and will probably have someone to make an example of.
    Your going to get that headline whether your in uniform or not.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Your going to get that headline whether your in uniform or not.
    very true, 10 points to archer51

Senior Moderator
    Something to think about...

In the unlikely event that you did have to shoot while in uniform, would your Commander in Chief and his staff support you or throw you under the bus and make an example of you?

Answer that question honestly and there is your answer.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

hello all,
    is your friend...

Look here: Fellow Military Personnel... CC While in Uniform??
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

SIGguy229,
    thanks for the link. must have missed that discussion when I was browsing. the consensus from that thread seems to be that there really isn't anything actually in uniform regulations regarding CCWs but as long as you're not printing and you still maintain a professional appearance, you are allowed to carry while off duty in accordance with state laws. on base the answer is no way jose but if you live in base housing or have cleared it with the base security officer then you can transport your gun in a lockbox but can not have it on you at any time unless it is going to the armory or firing range. I should be fine as long as I disarm before entering the building.

since this is going to be off base, and I'm going to be TAD, it will fall under both NAVCRUITCOM and USS NEVERSAILs polocies. since my ship doesn't have a written policy it automatically defers to TYCOM instruction, since AIRLANT does not have a written instruction it automatically defers to BIG NAVY instruction, since we've already established that big navy doesn't have an instruction on it I will only have to worry about cruitcom(I dont believe they have one either). still it would be prudent to give both CoCs a heads up that I will be CCing while in an off duty status, that way I have CYA covered.

thank you all for all the input and thanks again for the links

As former Army recruiter I submit the Army reg concerning your question for recruiting stations, MEPS, etc
    Army Reg 600-25, Prohibited and Regulated Activities for recruiting duty
    2-6. Weapons
    a. The possession of any of the following items in a recruiting facility or the transportation thereof in a Government owned or -provided vehicle is prohibited:
    (1) Privately-owned weapons, including but not limited to, firearms, compressed air guns, BB guns, stun guns, or shotguns
    c. Exceptions to the privately-owned weapons policy are rare and will be granted, in writing, by the brigade commander. The brigade commander will coordinate with the BJA to ensure compliance with applicable state law. The
    BJA will forward the brigade commander’s written endorsement to the Staff Judge Advocate.

I beleive the real answer has been answered earlier. It is all on your chain-of-Command point of view and IF they have you back legally. If your Command's view is when your in uniform "you are on-duty status", you best be in civilian attire when CC to remove any doubts. The only way to know is to ask your Commander and 1SG upfront. If you hesitate to ask, then honestly, you know what the answer is from your CoC would be if something happens. They may empathize with your situation, but they have to answer their CoC as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links