Last night situation..

This is a discussion on Last night situation.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, I'll try to keep it decently short. But I had a minor situation last night and am not sure how I handled it.. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Last night situation..

Last night situation..

Hey everyone,
    I'll try to keep it decently short. But I had a minor situation last night and am not sure how I handled it..

The story-
    A group of friends and I went to haunted house in our downtown area(not bad, but not great area) at around midnight last night. I was carrying because of the location and when we get to the front door of this place they had the 30.06 signs. So I said that they could go and I was going to wait outside(I was fine with that, hate them stupid things anyways).

So, I was outside the haunted house sitting on the curb while about 100 other people were in line. All of the sudden a customer kicks over a trash can and one of the haunted house employees(age 25-30s) grabs the kid(probably 18) and throws him to the cement face first twice. Than gets on top of this kid holding his throat and punching him 3 times. The kid was walking away the entire time and did not want to be in the fight and no one was standing up so I(in a calm, relaxed manner.. not aggressive) walked over there and started telling him to "Calm down and stop, the kids done". I never got physical because I didn't want to esculate and I was carrying. Another employee gets in my face swearing like crazy so I just backed off but the beating had stopped. The police officer ran around the corner and arressted the kid and the employee got off scotch free. I don't know what happened before the parking lot started, but the fight was over and the kid was leaving so I am a little upset that the employee got a "pat on the back from the officer".

The officer never asked for statements even though he didn't see what happened. He just believed the employees and I stayed out of it from that point. (I figure the less LEO interaction in that situation was best).

Anyways, sorry for the long story. But what should have I done? I felt really bad for this kid because he was in a very submissive state and just getting beat on so I felt like I had to do something.

Thanks all-
    Nick.

2. Remove Ads

You could have really inserted yourself into a very bad situation.

While noble as it is to intervene in a fight, the wise thing to do would have been to stay clear of it, and call some authorities. I know you wanted to do the right thing, but this time I believe you got lucky and came out unscathed. Too many times the "good Samaritan" gets whooped for his effort.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I think you handled it just fine. The police will have to get the kids statement anyways and he will let them know what happened. In a perfect world the police would nab the employee too, but it isn't.
    helderberg and baren like this.
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

You made an effort, that is more than most would do. You limited how much you wished to invest in this situation, which was probably wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahnkem
    The police will have to get the kids statement anyways and he will let them know what happened.
    That's not necessarily so.
    oneshot likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

throws him to the cement face first twice. Than gets on top of this kid holding his throat and punching him 3 times. The kid was walking away the entire time and did not want to be in the fight
    Guess he just wanted to kick over the trash can and skip the part where he gets thumped for his malicious act?

wmhawth, supposedly the kid hit one of the workers in the haunted house when he got jumped. So he got kicked out which is why he was walking away and kicked the trash can cause he was mad. I don't think he deserved what he got though. And thanks for the inputs. I know several things could have gone really bad. But I can't just sit back when that happens. Any others though? Good or bad i'd like to hear it. I am new to CC and want to make wise decisions.. thanks
    -Nick

One dark Halloween night, I went to a haunted house a family was hosting close to where I grew up. I was maybe 7 or 8. They had a bunch of scarecrows with plastic pumpkins for heads sitting in folding chairs all around the front. I thought it would be funny to punch one of the heads off, so I did it. I heard a woman inside the doorway say "Now why did he do that?" and I thought that was funny too.

They thought it was funny when the one of the scarecrows sitting by the door was her husband sitting perfectly still, and grabbed me when I tried walking by and scared me so bad I peed.

I guess the moral of this story is don't be jacking around with Haunted Houses.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringXDsub
    All of the sudden a customer kicks over a trash can and one of the haunted house employees(age 25-30s) grabs the kid(probably 18) and throws him to the cement face first twice. Than gets on top of this kid holding his throat and punching him 3 times. <snip> Another employee gets in my face swearing like crazy so I just backed off but the beating had stopped. The police officer ran around the corner and arressted the kid and the employee got off scotch free.
    Me thinks that there has to be more to this story than you are aware of. A full blow assault (to the cement face first twice, holding his throat and punching him 3 times) is NOT a justified response for kicking over the garbage can.

I personally, think that you did an excellent job of walking a very fine line regarding your civic duty on the scene, even with having another, um, jerk, swearing in your face. You don't know what happened to start the incident, so it is dangerous ground to get too involved. If you really believe that what you witnessed is wrong, if you contact the authoritative police department or DA's office you may be able to get a statement on record. If you do so, be sure to remain absolutely factual and keep the emotion out of it to the extent possible.
    Last edited by noway2; October 8th, 2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: typo correction
    oneshot likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Its always a sticky situation whenever you intervene in other people's affairs. I think you did well with this situation but I also think the situation could have just as easily taken on a soured twist. It sounds from your reiteration that the guard had taken matters in an extreme direction and there is something to the Edmund Burke quote that says that evil triumphs when good men do nothing, etc. From your post, I'm not sure how invested you were in handling this conflict. You may want to consider beforehand how far you're willing to take things before you act if you didn't do so last night. Also, you if you haven't already done so, you may want to consider getting a lawyer on retainer so if something happens in the future and you do get involved in an escalated affair, you will automatically have someone in your corner. From your experience last night, you have already seen how easy it is for you or anyone to get involved in a sticky situation at a moment's notice.

Glad things turned out well for you.

Take care,
    DCG

Quote Originally Posted by SpringXDsub View Post
    wmhawth, supposedly the kid hit one of the workers in the haunted house when he got jumped. So he got kicked out which is why he was walking away and kicked the trash can cause he was mad. I don't think he deserved what he got though. And thanks for the inputs. I know several things could have gone really bad. But I can't just sit back when that happens. Any others though? Good or bad i'd like to hear it. I am new to CC and want to make wise decisions.. thanks
    -Nick
    Now why didn't you say that from the beginning? That's a pretty important piece of the story that you left out.

VIP Member
    -Nick
    "Deserve's got nothing to do with it"

Defcon, that part was supposedly what happened. The first post was what I saw. I didn't see it from start to finish over-all. Just the ending fight is what I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Me thinks that there has to be more to this story than you are aware of. A full blow assault (to the cement face first twice, holding his throat and punching him 3 times) is NOT a justified response for kicking over the garbage can.
    There was more to the story, the OP failed to tell you about it.

I also thought that there was more to the event than what the OP knew about. Often times we only see a part of the story and when we react to it, we are inserting ourselves into an event with blinders on, etc. Not know being completely aware of what is going on means you don't necessarily have a full idea of how motivated the agressor is and this may prove to be a fatal error. If you think you're breaking up a simple fight, for example, you may be surprised when the event escalates to deadly force because the aggressor is actually preventing a horrific crime from happening, etc. I'm not saying its okay for someone to beat someone to death in the street but you really need to be sure things are going too far before you intervene.

Defcon, that part was supposedly what happened. The first post was what I saw. I didn't see it from start to finish over-all. Just the ending fight is what I saw.
    Gotcha. Now I understand. I thought from your post that you saw all of it.

I would suggest that you contact the kid, whose address will be on the police blotter, and offer to give a statement which he can use.

Then offer to appear as a witness if it goes to court.

I have been involved as a witness in two events in which that offer prevented a charge by the cops.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links