Ask A Potential Employer About CC Policy?

This is a discussion on Ask A Potential Employer About CC Policy? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That reminds me of one many saying my grandfather would say. "certian Principles are fine ... if you and your family can afford them" He ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Ask A Potential Employer About CC Policy?

VIP Member
    That reminds me of one many saying my grandfather would say. "certian Principles are fine ... if you and your family can afford them"

He sounds like a very wise man
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Three things you shouldn't ask a potential employer, in no particular order:
    1) Does your EAP cover drug and alcohol rehab?
    2) Do you allow firearms at the work-place?
    3) Who is the hottie in the photo on your desk?
    RETSUPT99 likes this.

Many companies, including the one that I currently work for, have an unwritten policy when it concerns weapons in the workplace. They have never had an incident, the subject has never been an issue, and as long as everybody is concealed, discreet, and on their best behavior; everything is fine. If there is a problem that results in a written policy, it will always be "no firearms or other weapons on company property". With all the workplace shootings that have taken place over the years, there is no way a company will assume the liability of telling an employee "yeah, it's OK to bring your gun here".

It's funny though, when I was hired, human resources checked my references. One of the questions that they asked was "has he ever done anything in the past that would lead you to believe that he would be a danger to himself or others?"
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    HECK NO! Don't ask don't tell isn't just for the military.
    Not any more I'm afraid...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

There is a simple way of looking at this problem. There are several variables. First, there is a 97% chance that the person doing the hiring does not have a concealed handgun license. In which case they will have no idea what you stand for as a person. Instead they will think you are a whack-job and likely to shoot up the place. Second, even if they DO have a license and totally respect legal carry of a firearm, it still may not be allowed at work. Most companies will not risk the legal liability of allowing guns at work. If something happens and somebody gets shot, they'd much rather be able to tell the court, "See.. Look at our employee manual, it forbids employees to have guns at work. This accident can't be our fault." Where on the flip side, should you happen to be carrying and the company doesn't know about it and you end up saving everyone's life because you were carrying, they can always look the other way. But getting permission to carry a gun at work is about as likely as getting permission to come to work naked every day.
    MadMac and joker1 like this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I would NEVER bring up CC in an interview if you really are interested in the job. Maybe try to find put from employees of the company.

I'd wait until the paycheck starts rolling in, but carrying at work isn't a deal breaker for me - I like money better.

VIP Member
    They only thing that I've ever brought up in an interview was how fired up I was to go work there (whether I was or not).

Having spent many years sitting on the other side of the desk as well, when the interviewee took the conversation towards asking how long of a lunch is allotted, is smoking allowed, can they bring their kids in every now and then - anything other than what was directly related to the job, I took notice and usually not in a good way.

I think I'm of a different generation though... When I left the industry, it seemed all anybody cared about was stuff that had nothing to do with actual work.
    Dadsnugun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    They only thing that I've ever brought up in an interview was how fired up I was to go work there (whether I was or not).

Having spent many years sitting on the other side of the desk as well, when the interviewee took the conversation towards asking how long of a lunch is allotted, is smoking allowed, can they bring their kids in every now and then - anything other than what was directly related to the job, I took notice and usually not in a good way.

I think I'm of a different generation though... When I left the industry, it seemed all anybody cared about was stuff that had nothing to do with actual work.
    I can relate. I had an applicant who brought his mother to the employment interview. Keep in mind this young man was in his mid twenties. She asked the questions about salary, benefits, vacation, sick days, hours of work..etc. Needless to say, he didn't make the cut.

His mother called back wanting to know why. I never heard any followup from the actual applicant.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You need to decide before you enven walk in to an interview which is more important to you: a job or carrying a gun. It's as simple as that. You make that decision and the company's policy is irrelevant.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    HECK NO! Don't ask don't tell isn't just for the military.
    Indeed

It wasn't so much of "should I bring it up during the interview" as to how to find out discreetly. Would it be bad to ask for a copy of the employee handbook before / during / immediately following an interview? Carrying is not a deal breaker for me... I can leave it in my car if needed. It was more of, in general, how do you find out without asking the question directly.

OpJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post

It's funny though, when I was hired, human resources checked my references. One of the questions that they asked was "has he ever done anything in the past that would lead you to believe that he would be a danger to himself or others?"
    That kind of question may or may not fly any more. The only information my company would release on a former employee was date of hire, date of leaving the company and whether or not the employee left voluntarily or was terminated. No reason for termination was ever given. Kinda, IMHO, make the reference rather useless.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    They are interviewing you...they have options.
    I was once on a job interview. It was the last in a long series of interviews with an out of state company that I had been flown in and put up in a hotel, etc. So far, the process had gone very well and I reached the final interview with one of the company executives. Before going into that interview, my prospective future boss took me into his office and told me, "remember, you are interviewing the company as much as the company is interviewing you." I then went into the interview with this person and the executive (his boss). At the end of that interview, the executive made me a job offer and I had some issues with part of the package and I calmly explained why. The executive just about exploded, lost his cool, turned red faced, and began yelling. I looked over the the guy who would have been my boss and he just gave me a knowing look that said, "I told you - you are interviewing the company too". Needless to say, I turned down the offer. Remember, the process works both ways and companies don't hold all the cards, all of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    That kind of question may or may not fly any more. The only information my company would release on a former employee was date of hire, date of leaving the company and whether or not the employee left voluntarily or was terminated. No reason for termination was ever given. Kinda, IMHO, make the reference rather useless.
    You're right. My former employer refers all inquiries to a human resource department at the home office. The only information they give out is what you stated because that's really the only information they have available. My current employer checked that, but they also asked if I had a couple of other references, perhaps a friend or former coworker. Those are the people that they asked the "personality" questions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links