Ask A Potential Employer About CC Policy?

This is a discussion on Ask A Potential Employer About CC Policy? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a few interviews coming up for jobs that, so far, sound great. Any advice on how to bring up the company's policy on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Ask A Potential Employer About CC Policy?

I have a few interviews coming up for jobs that, so far, sound great. Any advice on how to bring up the company's policy on carrying at work? Do you bring it up? Do you simply ask for a copy of the employee handbook? Do you not worry about it until later? Amy advice would be appreciated!

OpJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If not being able to CC is a deal breaker then wait until they call you back for a second interview and then ask if it would be possible to review their corporate policies.

Do not bring up CC during the first interview.

If you can afford to walk away from a good job based on their carry policy good luck.
    jem102, joker1 and Chad Rogers like this.

Just ask if there are any restricted items at the work place. You can give examples, like strike anywhere matches, cameras, cell phones, but I would let them fill in about the guns!
    babarock and joker1 like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Let me first add that I am currently employed, just looking for something more challenging.

As of right now, I have two interviews coming up in the next week or so, and possibly at least one more being added tomorrow. The market out here for my field is doing extremely well. All three potential jobs are similar in pay range and title. One sounds a little more fun than the other two, but that is more speculation at this point. Obviously, if one allows and the others don't, that may likely sway my decision (assuming I'm offered multiple positions of course). I'm just trying to figure out how to find out for sure without coming right out in any interview and asking "Oh, BTW, what's the company policy on carrying a concealed weapon?". People tend to get all antsy with that kind of stuff, especially if they are the sheep kind.

OpJ

VIP Member
    HECK NO! Don't ask don't tell isn't just for the military.
    joker1, bps3040, BkCo1 and 3 others like this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    HECK NO! Don't ask don't tell isn't just for the military.
    It's not even for the military anymore. It was repealed last month.

OpJ

Maybe just pull out the gun and set it on the interviewers desk, say "look I really think you should hire me, is this going to be a problem" and pat the gun.

VIP Member
    Since you are currently employed you do have a slight advantage over others looking for a job. I would not mention it and once you get the employee handbook I am sure it would address it.I
    At that time is you find CC is not allowed the decision is all up to you about taking the job or not. Personally it would not make any difference to me or not I would get the job then adapt tactics around what is allowed.
    PatAz and JD like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Good luck getting that job, bringing up the issue of carrying weapons at work during a job interview would get your resume shredded. It will be in their policies and you will get a copy of them upon hiring. 99% of companies prohibit weapons of any kind, so it's a safe bet the ones your interviewing with probably do too.
    noway2 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    bringing up the issue of carrying weapons at work during a job interview would get your resume shredded
    I agree. The flushing sound you hear will be the opportunity going down the toilet. Even if the HR representative that you ask is an enthusiast who personally understands why you are asking, the question raises one of the biggest HR concerns about potential employees: are you going to be a problem?

I agree with the above statement. Every company that I have worked for has had a no weapons policy along with no drugs, no drinking on the job, no smoking on company property, etc. I guess you have to be the judge of what works best for you.

VIP Member
    I guess the question is what if they say no CC/no weapons/we dont like guns? Do you not take the job? Again you are at an advantage you are already employed. What about someone who is not and has been looking and struggling for awhile?

Just remember before you jump on the dont support the anti gun bandwagon, there is a vast majority or stores, restaurants, Medical organizations, Educational organizations, singers, actors, authors and unions that all support in one way shape or form gun control/bans/etc.

So unless you are prepared to sit at home and not eat your favorite foods, not take your child to the doctor or to school, not work a union job or drive a certain car? Not saying boycott them if you want to the extent you want but you need to think about your answer and how far you are willing to go.
    baren and wmhawth like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

If you want to be hired, keep the gun to yourself.

Ask for a copy of the employee handbook. Leave it at that.

They are interviewing you...they have options.
    jester243, JD and Paladin3840 like this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    I guess the question is what if they say no CC/no weapons/we dont like guns? Do you not take the job? Again you are at an advantage you are already employed. What about someone who is not and has been looking and struggling for awhile?

Just remember before you jump on the dont support the anti gun bandwagon, there is a vast majority or stores, restaurants, Medical organizations, Educational organizations, singers, actors, authors and unions that all support in one way shape or form gun control/bans/etc.

So unless you are prepared to sit at home and not eat your favorite foods, not take your child to the doctor or to school, not work a union job or drive a certain car? Not saying boycott them if you want to the extent you want but you need to think about your answer and how far you are willing to go.
    That reminds me of one many saying my grandfather would say. "certian Principles are fine ... if you and your family can afford them"
    wmhawth and TVille like this.

VIP Member
    Definitely DON'T ask. Get the company handbook and read it. If there is nothing in it pertaining to weapons, go ahead and carry. Don't talk about guns at work, at least until you know climate towards them.

I'm lucky, I work for a small company. There are 4 owners, and 3 of the 4 have carry permits and carry daily. They know I carry and have no problem with it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links