Adding a second gun to the line-up

This is a discussion on Adding a second gun to the line-up within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been contemplating carrying a second "normal sized" gun for a long time. Not because I feel I need to be that well armed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Adding a second gun to the line-up

Adding a second gun to the line-up

I have been contemplating carrying a second "normal sized" gun for a long time. Not because I feel I need to be that well armed but to see if it was feasible and comfortable. I have been looking for a left handed holster for a 1911 for quite some time, to this end, with no luck. I am comfortable shooting with either hand so it seemed like the best way to go. I normally carry a 4 inch 1911 on my right hip in a Milt Sparks VMII with a double mag pouch on my left. Well since I haven't been able to find the right holster just yet, I decided to give a cross draw holster that I have a try. It is a Galco Sky cop. I got it along with a few other holsters at a price that I just couldn't pass up. , Anyway, I think it is gonna work. It is pretty comfortable and, with the way I dress, it seems like is gonna work. I am gonna try it out for a week and see if want to bother with it after that. Right now I don't think anyone would suspect me of carrying one gun, let alone two. Now, where am I gonna put the LCP?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Gary Brommeland makes lefty holsters as mirrors of his right-hand models. High Performance Concealment Systems for the Professional
    I have an as-new lefty Max-Con V holster for a three-inch 1911 for sale. I no longer use the 1911 configuration as my EDC, so I have no use for the holster.

Now, where am I gonna put the LCP?
    Ankle or weak side front pocket.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Ummmm...so you are carrying a 1911 on your right side, a 1911 in a crossdraw and are contemplating a third smaller gun in a pocket or ankle rig. Should the encounter become physical do you have a plan for maintaining control of all these different weapons?

I don't understand the two 1911 concept unless you are using the premise of the NY reload. I can understand a primary and a small backup but to me you are getting a little into the overkill phase but that is you. Just make sure you can control whatever weapon you are carrying should it get physical, you only have two hands so with three guns control and retention will become a big issue.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    3 guns? Really?

It may be time to take a step back and evaluate what you are doing. Is it a capacity thing? Extra mags or a higher capacity gun would do the job.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I belive you should take Actimy'sadvice. I at times wear 2 guns but the second one is a smaller one (BUG). I think you would find it uncomfortable with 3.
    Whoops I forgot about Grady. I belive he is our expert on carrying multiable guns.
    Semper Fi

I carried 3 the other day...it was perfectly comfortable. Well, the 300 rounds of ammo wasn't all that comfy....

haha I'm not planning a coup, I was headed to the range and really wanted to ride my bike....So I threw one in my shoulder holster, one on my hip and one on my ankle. Plus I had 1 x 100ct box of .40 ammo; 3 x 50ct boxes of .380; and 5 full clips. Boy am I glad I didn't get pulled!!

I didn't mind the guns...however next time if I have to bring ammo again I'll either buy it there, or take my truck haha!

Quote Originally Posted by marklind View Post
    I carried 3 the other day...it was perfectly comfortable. Well, the 300 rounds of ammo wasn't all that comfy....

haha I'm not planning a coup, I was headed to the range and really wanted to ride my bike....So I threw one in my shoulder holster, one on my hip and one on my ankle. Plus I had 1 x 100ct box of .40 ammo; 3 x 50ct boxes of .380; and 5 full clips. Boy am I glad I didn't get pulled!!

I didn't mind the guns...however next time if I have to bring ammo again I'll either buy it there, or take my truck haha!
    And with a coincidental stop by the cops...

Officer: "Sir, do you have any weapons on your person that I should be aware of...for my safety and yours?"

marklind: "Why yes officer, I just have..."
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by cz223 View Post
    I have been contemplating carrying a second "normal sized" gun for a long time. Not because I feel I need to be that well armed but to see if it was feasible and comfortable. I have been looking for a left handed holster for a 1911 for quite some time, to this end, with no luck. I am comfortable shooting with either hand so it seemed like the best way to go. I normally carry a 4 inch 1911 on my right hip in a Milt Sparks VMII with a double mag pouch on my left. Well since I haven't been able to find the right holster just yet, I decided to give a cross draw holster that I have a try. It is a Galco Sky cop. I got it along with a few other holsters at a price that I just couldn't pass up. , Anyway, I think it is gonna work. It is pretty comfortable and, with the way I dress, it seems like is gonna work. I am gonna try it out for a week and see if want to bother with it after that. Right now I don't think anyone would suspect me of carrying one gun, let alone two. Now, where am I gonna put the LCP?
    I don't have much advice to offer, but I have been giving much thought to the idea of carrying one full size and one subcompact Glock at the same time, for BUG purposes (backup in case of complete failure, spare mag with a gun wrapped around it faster transition if a malfunction, different carry method providing different level of access should you be standing vs seated, etc.) and I also seem to be developing this hunch that, unless you're dealing with an LEO the assumption seems to be that all anyone ever carries is one, so if you got made and it became an issue having the backup at or disposal may allow you to securely store one and placate while not giving up your own protection.

So with my own plans developing in my mind please do report back how it goes, I'm interested to know if it's worth the extra effort. And while I'm not a 191 guy myslef I do like that you're taking into account commonality of arms when doing this so that your brain won't be dealing with self induced confusion in a stressful situation.

Glock Certified Armorer

Thanks for the mostly positive responses so far

As I said in the original post, I don't really feel the need for two guns, I just want to give it a try. I wore both guns yesterday for about 6 hours, but then it started getting real warm, and I was doing physical labor, so I dropped the guns and the cover shirt. All in all, not a bad first effort. I stuck the LCP in my left front pocket where it normally goes, so I would not be unarmed. The biggest problem with this set-up is that the Galco holster has to be threaded onto the belt, unlike the MS VMII, which has snaps. The other problem is that the butt of the gun likes to poke forward but it is sill concealable. My 5.11 belt holds the weight just fine. I still think that a left handed holster would be a better way to go. I was kind of joking about the LCP but, I always have room for it in my left front pocket. It is pretty slow to get to in an emergency situation. As far as weapon retention goes, I had not given it a lot of thought. If I do make this a regular thing I will probably use a pancake holster. I might go for one with a strap if I think retention is a real issue. As for the lcp, retention is not a problem with it in my pocket.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    I don't have much advice to offer, but I have been giving much thought to the idea of carrying one full size and one subcompact Glock at the same time, for BUG purposes (backup in case of complete failure, spare mag with a gun wrapped around it faster transition if a malfunction, different carry method providing different level of access should you be standing vs seated, etc.) and I also seem to be developing this hunch that, unless you're dealing with an LEO the assumption seems to be that all anyone ever carries is one, so if you got made and it became an issue having the backup at or disposal may allow you to securely store one and placate while not giving up your own protection.

So with my own plans developing in my mind please do report back how it goes, I'm interested to know if it's worth the extra effort. And while I'm not a 191 guy myslef I do like that you're taking into account commonality of arms when doing this so that your brain won't be dealing with self induced confusion in a stressful situation.
    I comfortably carry a 17 and a 19 IWB regularly, without issues. It is worth the extra effort and expense to me.
    canav844 likes this.

VIP Member
    CZ. Weapon retention is not just about keeping the weapon in the holster it is your ability to maintain control of the weapon in a physical confrontation. Retention over the years has gone from defensive, wrist grabs, arm locks and so on to offensive blade, to the back of the hand, elbow to the face, the draw and use of a BUG.

If the confrontation gets physical and the person has his hands on one gun you will have to fight to maintain control of it. Should he see, notice or grab for the second gun you have nothing left to defend it with. Holsters with a retaining strap are a safety measure to keep the gun from falling out of the holster no real defense in a gun grab. If you make a holster secure enough to prevent 100% of the gun grabs you probably will not be able to draw the weapon from the holster without a key and combination to the lock that is on it.

Should you carry on your left side are you willing to invest and train with ambi controls? I know the 1911 mags are interchangable but where are you going to carry them and how? To me there are better options than two full size guns but you do what you think you need to do. Wish you luck.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I regularly carry a Glock 36 and a kel Tec P3AT, and a lock blade folder.

On some occasions only carry the P3AT and don't feel under gunned, but I really enjoy carrying two for some reason.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I saw an interesting article years ago about "mirror carry". The author wore two Glock 26's in identical leather OWB holsters (FIST IIRC). Very interesting read and setup. Had them at the 3 and 9.

If I were to go with the two "normal size" guns, that is how I would do it, or IWB strongside and OWB weakside. Its definitely doable and no more absurd than someboydy carrying a pocket BUG. I say go for it...if you are dedicated to it, it should be easy.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I saw an interesting article years ago about "mirror carry". The author wore two Glock 26's in identical leather OWB holsters (FIST IIRC). Very interesting read and setup. Had them at the 3 and 9.

If I were to go with the two "normal size" guns, that is how I would do it, or IWB strongside and OWB weakside. Its definitely doable and no more absurd than someboydy carrying a pocket BUG. I say go for it...if you are dedicated to it, it should be easy.
    My seventeen rides IWB in a Brommeland Max-Con V somewhere between 8:30-9:00 while the nineteen is at 3:00 in a Max-Con V. A Wilderness Instructor keeps them in place. I also have a Kahr PM9 which rides in a Max-Con V, as well as a Kimber Ultra-Carry II, but neither of these sees the rotation much anymore. Both are great guns, they just don't get carried much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links