Great advice from police on informing officer. - Page 2

Great advice from police on informing officer.

This is a discussion on Great advice from police on informing officer. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In my state it is illegal to keep lists of cc permits....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Great advice from police on informing officer.

In my state it is illegal to keep lists of cc permits.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledork View Post
    There's no requirement to inform here, so I don't. Our licenses aren't tied in to a state database available to local PDs, so they won't show up when our DLs get run through the system. So, no, I don't inform. Why invite trouble?
    I have a non-resident permit from your fine state. Twenty-five bucks gave me several more states where I am legal to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    With the overhead light on if during the hours of darkness, my window already rolled down before he gets up to the vehicle, and with both hands in plain sight, the first words out of my mouth upon his arrival are "Good evening, Officer. I am a Concealed Handgun License (that is what it is called in Ohio) holder, and I am carrying a handgun. Do you have any instructions for me?". No more, no less, just as required by Ohio law. If anywhere except behind the wheel, same drill, but with my hands on the dashboard or displayed clearly.
    Same for me except in Tn it is a Handgun Carry Permit--state doesn't tell us how to carry it (open or concealed is ok). Only time I've been stopped I followed this scenerio and the officer replied, with a smile, "You don't show me yours and I won't show you mine." TN is not a "must inform state" but why up his anxiety as he will know when he runs the DL.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Most officers are trained to go to high alert when their partner or another officer yells "GUN!". Even if you do decide to tell the officer you are armed, don't use that word. It still triggers a higher response from the officer. Don't increase the officers adrenalin flow ... use the word firearm. Trust me, it won't hurt and it could help.
    I agree. In fact, I try to avoid using the word "gun" even around friends and family. I try to uses phrases like "I am armed" or "I am wearing my firearm" or something to that effect. It sounds more professional and if that person is maybe a little uneasy with guns to begin with it will help instill more confidence than saying something like "I"m packing heat today" or something like that. Sort of like you'd expect your doctor to say "bowel movement" and not "poop" or any of the 16 other slang-words that could be used as a synonym.

However, when it comes to the police, I prefer to just hand them my concealed handgun license along with my drivers license and insurance since that is the first thing they ask for anyway. However, I haven't been pulled over in many years.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    Any words other than "handgun" and "pistol" are probably good ones to avoid when describing a licensed, legally-possessed and carried pistol. In Ohio, at least there is no such thing as a legally-concealed weapon. Knives, long-guns, nunchakus and other lethal force weapons all have their own rules, laws and regulations, exclusive from and different than those pertaining to a CHL. For example, the law regarding the transportation of rifles and shotguns still apply, even when carrying a handgun in a vehicle. The loaded Glock on my hip is legal, but a loaded rifle or magazine for it in the trunk is not.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    No duty to inform in DE but, last time I was "stopped" for "speeding" the officer asked about "illegal" weapons and also, seriously this is not made up, specifically mentioned "bazooka". To which I answered no on all accounts, my G27 is legal and I did not have a bazooka. He wrote me a ticket, I did not inform, we both went home; me made at myself for speeding, he probably not remembering the incident. Unless, there is duty to inform or the officer asks me to get out of my truck I just can't get my mind around the idea of escallating by informing.

But, what about this scenario, same situation but say, I did have a hypothetically legal RPG would I have to say yes I have a weapon similar to a bazooka or could I still say no since a RPG is not a bazooka. These inform not inform discussions are so very confusing to a bear of very little brain.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    No duty to inform in DE but, last time I was "stopped" for "speeding" the officer asked about "illegal" weapons and also, seriously this is not made up, specifically mentioned "bazooka". To which I answered no on all accounts, my G27 is legal and I did not have a bazooka. He wrote me a ticket, I did not inform, we both went home; me made at myself for speeding, he probably not remembering the incident. Unless, there is duty to inform or the officer asks me to get out of my truck I just can't get my mind around the idea of escallating by informing.

But, what about this scenario, same situation but say, I did have a hypothetically legal RPG would I have to say yes I have a weapon similar to a bazooka or could I still say no since a RPG is not a bazooka. These inform not inform discussions are so very confusing to a bear of very little brain.
    It isn't complicated

Any illegal weapons? No, sir.
    Rayguns, bazookas? No, sir.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    In MI, it's mandatory inform during official encounter with LE. From MI State Police site:

Proper Conduct During Encounters with Police

Responsibilities of Individuals With a Concealed Pistol License:

1. An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol who is stopped by a police officer (traffic stop or otherwise) while in possession of a pistol shall immediately disclose to the police officer that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol either on their person or in their motor vehicle.
    - Failure to disclose this information to a police officer carries the following penalties:
    - First offense = State Civil Infraction - $500 fine and 6-month CPL license suspension.
    - Second offense = State Civil Infraction - $1000 fine and CPL license revocation.

2. An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall have the license in his or her possession at all times he or she is carrying a concealed pistol.
    - Failure to possess CPL license when carrying a concealed pistol is a State Civil Infraction and a $100.00 fine.

3. Upon request, an individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall show both of the following to a police officer:
    - His or her license to carry a concealed pistol
    - His or her driver license or personal identification card
    - Failure to show CPL license and Michigan driver license or Michigan personal identification card when carrying a concealed pistol is a State Civil Infraction and $100.00 fine.

4. A pistol carried in violation of numbers 1, 2, or 3 is subject to immediate seizure by a police officer.
    If a pistol is seized for failure to possess a CPL while carrying a concealed pistol:
    - Individual has 45 days in which to display their license to carry a concealed pistol to the law enforcement agency that seized the pistol and the pistol shall be returned.
    - If the individual does not display their license to carry a concealed pistol within 45 days the pistol is subject to forfeiture.

To Ensure Safety During Police Encounters
    If you are stopped by a law enforcement officer you should:

- Keep your hands where an officer can see them.
    - Cooperate fully with the police officer.
    - If you have a gun with you, tell the police officer as soon as possible.
    - Do not make any quick movements, especially toward the weapon.
    - If in a vehicle at night, turn on your vehicle's dome light.

In certain circumstances, a law enforcement officer may take temporary possession of the weapon during interaction with the individual to ensure the safety of the officer and others. The police officer will return the pistol at the end of the stop unless the individual is being charged with a violation of the act or any other law that allows for the weapon to be seized.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "Like the others, he didnt have to write that ticket."

He didn't have to but he should have--for operating an unregistered vehicle! Headlights out? Safety! Creative(?) lane change? Hummm.
    Everytime I've been pulled over, it was for a good reason. One reaps what one sows.
    There is nothing inherently dangerous about an unregistered vehicle. IMO cops should be spending their time dealing with crimes rather than collecting income for the county.

As for the headlight, it was 2 nites in a row, same lite...I didnt have time to go to a shop and get one. As for the lane change....it was safe, just across all 3 lanes without pausing. I looked, all was well, I didnt cut anyone off. The officer (in unmarked car) let me off with a warning so he wasnt too alarmed either.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Michigan law requiers notification forthwith. As a baby deputy I was taught, if I am pulled over while armed, to place my hands palms up on the steering wheel. It is/was called the Chicago lean. Tell the officer that you are a CPL holder and if have a weapon or not. Then ask the officer what they want you to do. You are telling them that they are in charge. lowers the pucker factor a little.

The replies where people inform when it's not the law make me kind of sad. I'm not informing or 'asking for instructions' when I am exercising my right to carry. It sounds like just pandering to the state, some kind of fascist system. And while some cops may be disapproving or worse of that right for citizens, many are not. If a cop gets upset or out of line because I have a legal firearm in my vehicle, we will be following it up with their superiors later. It's not their place to impose personal judgements on my rights.

If there is some other situation and a cop is going to search me or my purse, then I would mention it. But there is NO reason for a cop to search my car...they will be told 'I do not consent.' If they ignore that, there's nothing I can do about it....then.
    bbqgrill and atctimmy like this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

No requirement in Tennessee but I do travel to surrounding states. Whether in TN or elsewhere I roll down the window, place my right hand on the steering wheel and have my left hand out the window with my carry permit and DL for the officer to take before he gets to my car. I keep my mouth shut till the officer ask me a question which is usually "are you armed"? Seems to work great for me and the cops seem to like it as well.

Somehow, I just can't see following the officers advice in the video. Hello officer, I have a gun in the car. Just don't seem right to me.
    sliponby likes this.

Officer I have my cpl, and am armed. How would you like to proceed. Works every time. I really do not see this as an issue, more along the lines of common sense.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    have my left hand out the window with my carry permit and DL for the officer to take before he gets to my car.
    Not a great idea. Requires you to be moving around in the car while the cop is studying you with his spotlight, and could lead him to believe you are hiding something/going for something--at the very least, reasonable suspicion for "frisking" your seat area if not an (admittedly poor) excuse for searching your car. My policy is to wait until he asks, then tell him what you are going to do before you do it.

Also, I've heard it said that in some states (I believe Ohio) passing the permit does not constitute sufficient "notification"; at the very least, saying it out loud means it might be captured on the cop's dash cam for later proof, whereas he could always claim you never handed him the permit.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    The replies where people inform when it's not the law make me kind of sad. I'm not informing or 'asking for instructions' when I am exercising my right to carry. It sounds like just pandering to the state, some kind of fascist system. And while some cops may be disapproving or worse of that right for citizens, many are not. If a cop gets upset or out of line because I have a legal firearm in my vehicle, we will be following it up with their superiors later. It's not their place to impose personal judgements on my rights.
    Mare, I agree, maybe I need to get pulled over more so that I have more practice.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links