Great advice from police on informing officer. - Page 3

Great advice from police on informing officer.

This is a discussion on Great advice from police on informing officer. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't see the problem with informing the officer i feel its a courtesy to do so afterall we are all on the same side...at ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Great advice from police on informing officer.

I can't see the problem with informing the officer i feel its a courtesy to do so afterall we are all on the same side...at least i hope we are.

In Arkansas, we are only required to notify if we are carrying. The LEO in my concealed carry class recommended always notifying, because the officer will know if you have your permit once he/she runs your DL.

Once I see those blue lights turn on in my rearview mirror, I go ahead and pull out my wallet as I am pulling over. With both hands on top of the steering wheel and wallet in hand, I pull out my DL and CHL. I turn on the hazard lights, and I also take the keys out of the ignition and place them on the dash (this might be overkill, but I'd rather overly please the officer than not do enough to put him/her at east). My window is already down when he/she approaches, and I have my IDs ready. If it is night, my dome light is on imemdiately after I get pulled over. I greet the officer, hand over my IDs, and I immediately say that I have my CHL and, even if I'm not carrying, I tell the officer where my firearm is located.

Armed example: "Good evening officer, I have my concealed handgun license, and I am armed this evening. The firearm is in a holster behind my right hip."
    Unarmed example: "Good evening officer, I have my concealed handgun license, but I am NOT armed this evening. My firearm is at home in the safe."
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Quote Originally Posted by SigHawk View Post
    Unarmed example: "Good evening officer, I have my concealed handgun license, but I am NOT armed this evening. My firearm is at home in the safe."
    If you are unarmed, what does the location of your firearm have to do with anything? Its location is irrelevant to the situation, and frankly none of the officer's buisness.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

If you ever need to inform a LEO that you are armed, my suggestion is to use the word "SIDEARM."

"Sidearm" is what professionals call their handgun. By using that word, you are letting the officer know you are legal, professional, and possibly one of them. I would avoid the term "gun" or any slang. Be professional, and you will usually get treated that way in turn.

I tested this theory myself while on jury duty. I went to the courthouse (dressed in a suit), informed the officer on duty that I was there for jury duty, and that I needed to secure my "sidearm." She was surprised when I showed my CCW (I wasn't an Auxiliary yet at the time) - by using the term "sidearm" she had just assumed I was another officer. She took me to the gun lockers, I signed my sidearm in, locked it up, and was on my way - no muss, no fuss.

Just a suggestion. Hope it helps.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I'll stick with the method endorsed by a LEO who wasn't charged with a crime:

http://bcove.me/1deb58up
    nigelvertigo likes this.

As a ex-deputy I was glad to know if there were a firearm in the car or on the person, but I did not like some one saying I got a gun or having a weapon pop out of glove box. I now have my lic. and permit in a case and when the officer ask lic. etc. I hand both to the officer so there are no surprises

sgb
    I operate on "need to know" and unless I'm in a state that requires by law that I inform the Officer he/she has no "need to know."
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

have to disagree this is good advice - KISS and follow the law.

Is it only the driver that is of concern? Or, do passengers in a duty-to-inform state need to inform also?
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DAO.Diva View Post
    Is it only the driver that is of concern? Or, do passengers in a duty-to-inform state need to inform also?
    In Ohio, one is required to inform regardless of seating arrangements in the vehicle.
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    In Ohio, one is required to inform regardless of seating arrangements in the vehicle.
    This may apply in Canton.

I was under the impression that all these duty to inform laws were only if you were engaged an official contact with the officer. If you are a passenger in the vehicle, the officer is contacting the driver.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post

I was under the impression that all these duty to inform laws were only if you were engaged an official contact with the officer. If you are a passenger in the vehicle, the officer is contacting the driver.
    That was my understanding too. Of course, this is a YMMV situation and will depend upon the EXACT WORDING of the state laws.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post

Not in Ohio.

"(E) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code

or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued to the person by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code, who is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped as a result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose or is the driver or an occupant of a commercial motor vehicle that is stopped by an employee of the motor carrier enforcement unit for the purposes defined in section 5503.34 of the Revised Code, and who is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle or commercial motor vehicle in any manner, shall do any of the following :

(1) Fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then possesses or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle;

(2) Fail to promptly inform the employee of the unit who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then possesses or has a loaded handgun in the commercial motor vehicle"

Working undercover, Private Security, had to call in every start of shift. Who we were, two of us, names and B Lic of Company, what we were armed with, vehicle details.

Situation, which we did not have to divulge, possible ex employee (Going Postal!) We were stopped for Parking, not Parking, driving! Me, stopped, window open, engine off, keys on dash, hands ten to two. My back up, seat forward, hands on Dash.

"Good evening, armed Security" ID round neck. One female Officer OPD, laughed, "You have done this before, yes?"

"More than once" "Have a nice evening Gentlemen" "Be safe Officer"

Stopped twice in 8 years, marked Security Vehicle, one ticket, 15 above. One, "I know your Son" My Son's Company. Advice "Change those boots, they are too heavy!"

Working, in Uniform, or not, inform, not in Uniform, not working, not. Still hands at ten to two, in park, keys on dash.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    With the overhead light on if during the hours of darkness, my window already rolled down before he gets up to the vehicle, and with both hands in plain sight, the first words out of my mouth upon his arrival are "Good evening, Officer. I am a Concealed Handgun License (that is what it is called in Ohio) holder, and I am carrying a handgun. Do you have any instructions for me?". No more, no less, just as required by Ohio law. If anywhere except behind the wheel, same drill, but with my hands on the dashboard or displayed clearly.
    Sounds like we had the same instructor!
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links